Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15934 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »
When Gaijin enters the MMO scene with World of Planes AH could be facing real competition like it hasn't seen since Warbirds. Gaijin has the whole Il-2 franchise to build on with hundreds of accurate models ready made and an excellent graphics engine. I've signed up for the beta, so I'll see what's what.

I participate over there at Gaijin, as do a lot of others who are here in Aces high and Gaijin is already in and have been, in the Flight sim MMO scene for a good while now.......

Gaijin has many more MMO games already in the market.......... check for yourself

their forum website: http://forum.gaijinent.com/

cheers

edit:  nice post, Stoney  especially the last paragraph

TC
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:44:28 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »
Stoney, this thread is about Gaijin's "World of Planes", based on the Il-2 franchise. Not World of Warplanes from wargaiming.net (maker of World of Tanks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIOrXAd4qc
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Whoops...sorry.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
James,

Let's put it this way.  I would love for the graphics to look like I could stick my hand through the screen and pull the cockpit open.  I doubt that I would ever see any of that other than in the film viewer or offline though.  But I trust that an organization that has been in the business for more than a decade, knows when they are due for a complete graphics overhaul.

Furthermore, giving the few folks all the graphics they "think" their systems could handle would probably require much more than adding a few more sliders.  There will always be comparisons that claim to prove HTC is simply dragging its feet for no reason (evident in this thread that the grass is always greener on the other side).  These things take years of preparation, and I would stand to bet that HTC has its own timeline as they tackle more pressing issues, they are on track with graphics improvements.   Possibly you didn't see this video to put things in to proper perspective.

http://youtu.be/Zs56Mr9iFqQ

Chili I love the video! Funniest thing i've seen in a while. That's about Cliffs of Dover, I have the first IL-2 game and it's unplayable on my machine it seems. It doesn't like all the controls I have. I completely agree about the timeline thing and really can't wait for this next update from HTC. Just wish we had some blow you away kind of graphics to boot. WOP has Alpha and beta testers. Time will tell if they get it right i'm sure. Track ir needs to be in their game some where for me to try that one out though. Cheers.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
Just curious... how many have computers 2 years or OLDER here?

I don't, for one :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

Mine is far older than that. My last CPU upgrade was about 4 years ago, and it wasn't state of the art even back then. I'm hoping to upgrade to a cheap 100$ cpu this spring.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
I have 3 computers that are 6 years old and my main one around 5 years old. I'll be getting a set of new internet shoes this summer. Something in a fastest pentium I-7 quad core with a bunch of ram and a 2 gb video card with a 1000 watt PS. Going to go 3 monitors and a 3 to go set up around June. I SHOULD be able to overkill this game as far as full candy on the new update.

Current set up is a quad core AMD 2.6 with 6 gb of ddr3 and an Nvidia 9600 with 512 MB of ram. Win7 home 64 bit OEM and a  950 watt PS.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »

AH2 computer, kids computers (2), my personal laptop and wife's laptop all > 5 years old.  Business computer another story.

All running just fine.

Thanks for asking...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
I've got Windows 7, with 8GB RAM, 800GB HDD, and Intel QuadCore Processor, with a 1280 by 1024 monitor.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »
I really don't even see the need to make it a competition between the games.  WoT scratches an itch.  It isn't a tank simulator.  WoWP will scratch an itch for some, whereas some people will probably be disgusted by it.  Given what I know about WoT, I can't even imagine how well it will translate into airplanes.  What I do know, is that a rock/paper/scissors airplane game won't satisfy those looking for a more realistic WWII flight sim.  Given the xenophobia that surrounds WoT these days, nationalistic fervor will hit a fevered pitch when it comes time to set P-51 vs. La-7 vs. Spitfire vs. FW-190.  So really, AH2 will maintain its position as the preeminent WWII flight sim.  Those people looking for a more arcade-ish flying game that uses historical WWII aircraft may find WoWP more to their liking, but I figure those people don't really play AH2 anyway.  Especially when the game has to "balance" the dominant uber performing aircraft with their peers, since its a rock/paper/scissors type of game, versus the hard data modelling of aircraft in AH2.  HTC doesn't have to worry about how well the P-51 performs compared to other aircraft since it strives to make them perform as life-like as possible anyway.  WoWP, on the other hand, may nerf or buff various aircraft away from their historical performance in order to achieve game balance. 

So again, I don't really see a situation where you have to say one game is better than the other.  Its seems more like apples and oranges to me.  That being said, sure, the two games may compete for the $15/month of a player, but not because one is better than the other--but because the player is looking for a different type of game.  I can see WoWP being a fun game, but it will never approach the realism found in AH2 by design.  Different strokes for different folks. 

I completely disagree...I have been here for years now.....I have tried all the other flight games/sims and Aces High Is above and beyond ALL of them......in other words Aces High is the BEST there is  :D

those who are whining that the "graphics" are not as good as say "cliffs of Dover" ya I had that game sure is pretty..... I couldn't help notice how pretty it was when I flew over the ground and was getting 5 FPS.......(offline with no bad guys in the area :rolleyes:)

Aces High is about COMBAT..............fight.... ... or go to the grocery store and pick up some cheese for that whine. :aok

many have older systems :aok

hell im flying on a 2.9 GHZ duel core....ATI 4830 1 gig....I don't have shadows on,  everything else is maxed with the HIres texture I get a solid 60 FPS(drops a bit in a huge furball)......like I said I tried cliffs of dover over the water I could actually fly as soon as I got over land it was a slide show....

HTC tries to make it so the most amount of systems can play their game...they balance it out just about perfectly.  :salute

Gaiji they owned FA if I remember correctly :headscratch:...ya ill pass on anything they put out.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
Gaiji they owned FA if I remember correctly :headscratch:...ya ill pass on anything they put out.

Um... No.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
     With it being 2012 now DX9 is another year outdated, (just saying, DX9 release 2002.)
I can't believe HTC doesn't have confidence in itself that it's player base, (loyalty proven as they are running 10 year old PC technology, still,) would not upgrade their PC's to keep with the times which would help AcesHigh grow rather than stagnate. It's not like Combat Tour is taking up their time anymore, the dated 3D engine and noticably simplistic SFXs could all use updating into this decade.
Cheech was heavy handed in his approach, but I for one firmly believe he was trying to spur HTC into catching up with it's competition graphically.
Cheech has done what has to be the best AcesHigh vids to grace Youtube, I sincerly hope that they will be reuploaded soon, just for my benefit ;)
I hope he can forgive Skuzzy's hastey Skuzzination.

AcesHigh has the best physics models for it's aircraft, I advise against any complacency with graphics. It's not 2001-2003 anymore, gamers these days like their eyecandy. Their post processing, their pretty explosions, bump mapping, MipMapping, antialiasing, HighDefinition, shiney metallic surfaces and scratches on their flexiglass.
The ground work's done, the physics are honed and toned, sadly the looks... are crinkly and wrinkly.

Come on HTC do us proud! Lets bury the competition for once and for all.
:angel: :salute :cheers:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
 :airplane: :joystick:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:01:31 PM by james »
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »
    With it being 2012 now DX9 is another year outdated, (just saying, DX9 release 2002.)
I can't believe HTC doesn't have confidence in itself that it's player base, (loyalty proven as they are running 10 year old PC technology, still,) would not upgrade their PC's to keep with the times which would help AcesHigh grow rather than stagnate. It's not like Combat Tour is taking up their time anymore, the dated 3D engine and noticably simplistic SFXs could all use updating into this decade.

are you serious with this post, Dolby?   did you not see or read  Skuzzy's reply # 145  or my 2 replys, the 2nd reply by me is #146  quoting my 1st reply

regarding how little people know , but assume that  Aces High is using a 10 or 11 year old graphics engine or modeling engine.....

Dolby, Sir......... have you downloaded and tried the Beta, yet ?     for some reason I think you are just trying to stir the pot ....... lol

TC    

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC