Author Topic: Bf 109G-2 Gunther Rall 8./Jg52  (Read 11556 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bf 109G-2 Gunther Rall 8./Jg52
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
Small update: added German crosses, modified rear fuselage cammo border, and added some more blurring to wing cammo demarkation.

Thanks for watching.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:22:07 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
Another small update, I used INK's recomendation for a plasma cloud filter and WOW! The paint just comes alive. Thanks INK.  :rock

You can also see that I added some shading to the crease of the alerions and elevators.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
WAY cool!!  I like how the wings/elevators look like the paint is vinyl graphics  cut out with pinking shears!   :)
  side note: KN guys have a secret way of flyin g2's with gondies    :uhoh
I'll never tell!~  :devil
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:34:24 PM by STEELE »
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 11:18:33 PM »
very sweet man :aok

now when your ready to get the paint chipping going let me know.

I think the panel lines need a bit more opacity

it is coming along awesome  :rock

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Thanks guys.

Shemp, I know most of us KN guys use the gondies, but Mr. Rall didn't.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
 :aok
Cant wait to fly it!
Could you put a download link together plz, or pm me?
AoM
City of ice

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
LOOKING GREAT, DEVIL!! oh man I will use this. a lot.
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Thanks guys.

Shemp, I know most of us KN guys use the gondies, but Mr. Rall didn't.
   OTOH,   Galland loved gondies, even had wing cannons installed on/in his f model when it came out
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
NICE devil! Now when can I fly this? (psssssssssssssssssst pm me the skin i wanna fly it when you are done with it offline)
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Markings and stencils applied. I also added exhaust stains. I wasnt satisfied with the cammo mottling on the tail, so after MANY attempts to make something I liked, I went back to the all green paint. Finally, I gave color to the wingtip nav lights.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Void

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
Markings and stencils applied. I also added exhaust stains. I wasnt satisfied with the cammo mottling on the tail, so after MANY attempts to make something I liked, I went back to the all green paint. Finally, I gave color to the wingtip nav lights.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Wow that plane is really attractive.
In Game name: Namco

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
In my opinion your tail fin mottling was quite good, and I liked it better than the solid green/brown, definitely.

Sorry I haven't been faster on the response, to go back to the devil's advocate in viewing those photos, you can't tell from that one photo what color is on the nose because the colors have such little contrast. Even the darker 2-tone mottling is barely distinguishable from monotone spots. One of the hazards of WW2 photography, which was a technology still developing at the time.

I think you've done a fairly nice job. I think you still need to work on some of the details here and there, tweak them, etc. Some things Ink has touched upon already.

However, I'm stuck every time I see it thinking it's too brown. You say you got your shades from Simmer's Paintshop, and this is one of my major beefs with that page: The paint chips are terrible!

I've seen tons of photos, I've handled recreations of the pain colors myself working with scale models, I've seen a lot of more thoroughly researched websites showing better colors. I've tried using Simmer's chips and the end result is always terrible. Simply swapping out the colors for those on better references yields greater end results without doing anything but changing the color!

Here is an excellent reference link:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp
The Germany section can be found here:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_germany.htm

Naturally these are just the base colors, and you can have a large variation on any one of these after you apply weathering and other layers and effects, etc, but they should be your starting point.

For the standard RLM74/RLM75over RLM76, it will be better to use the following:

Upper left: RLM74 Graugrun, upper right: RLM75 Grauviolett
Lower: RLM76 Lichtblau

I've uploaded a few of the common colors for LW aircraft here:
http://www.nakatomitower.com/models/colors/

The more I look at it, the more it looks too much like an end-of-war K-4 with brown paint rather than a G2 with overspray. It should be more of a 2-tone grey than a grey/green, and the over-spray most likely RLM02 or RLM74 (both chips included in the link above). If you wanted to go more brown-tint, RLM02 is the way to go (I find a slightly darker/weathered version of the paint chip works nice). Mind you this isn't anything against the work you've done so far, just the colors of that work. It's easy enough to tweak if you've got the layers separated (as you do). I've done the same and had the same suggestion made to me a number of times, so it's nothing personal. I just don't think the colors are right.

Otherwise the work so far has been good and it's something I'd fly in the MA, for sure.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:31:50 PM by Krusty »

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
Thanks Krusty for your input.  :salute

I do like your color chips and will give them a try. Regarding the "brownishness" of the paint, I totally agree. Remember I said that I substituted RLM 73 for 74 because I wanted more a greenish color? Well, it was also brownish. The strait color was fine, but for whatever reason the filter I placed over it really mutes the green. You can also see this on the spinner which is RLM 70 "Black-green", now just looks black. The actual colors are no differant from the very first pics that I posted. I want to see what differance your colors you suggested can give. I may even switch to RLM 72 for the rear cammo.

I'm glad you liked the paint I had on the tail before. The problem I had was that I looked fake to me. It was too neat to be random splotches, but to random to be a neat pattern. You thought it looks like a K-4 now, the mottled tail really made it look like one.  I must have tried 6 differant schemes taken right off other G-2s, but none felt right. But the all green does, and it's no longer boring with the weathering applied. I'm sure that when I do the detail for the fabric rudder it will look even better.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »
 :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »
Great looking skin Devil. I'd suggest making the engine hatch lines a bit more solid than the other panel lines. Otherwise it just needs a few more stains, chips etc. but I suspect you already know that.