Author Topic: Engine Out Landings  (Read 5813 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Engine Out Landings
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
As far as MA flight goes, you NEED a little challenge.

Okay fine.  Let's apply the challenge to takeoff as well.  If you veer off the runway into the soft mud alongside you damage gear/remove gear/nose over.  Tit for Tat.  Goose and Gander.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
I glided my 109K4 over a sector yesterday and landed on a runway after I got a radiator hit. I like that rewarding feeling of making it back in (mostly) one piece.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
having said that the scoring system does favour ditching in range of your base rather than landing properly if you got nothing on that sortie, which doesn't seem right.
I presume? you mean they are scored the same, (0) so why waste the time landing? I'm thinking? that a BAIL or DITCH -is- recorded by the stats and ? would ultimately affect your RATING ? in a small way? Not at all SURE about that ? but it would be a SMALL difference.

I think I know WHY HT penalises anyone landing in the grass ... Pretty sure I have that figured out ... It's to PROTECT THE SQUIRRLS !
:D
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
No and we have all seen the answer many times before yet keep forgetting that success would mean nothing without the potential for failure.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »
I presume? you mean they are scored the same, (0) so why waste the time landing? I'm thinking? that a BAIL or DITCH -is- recorded by the stats and ? would ultimately affect your RATING ? in a small way? Not at all SURE about that ? but it would be a SMALL difference.

exactly. landed/ditched are treated the same for K/D, the only difference is damage points and perks modifier, so if you got no kills/damage its the same effect. landing properly rather than quickly ditching harms your K/T.*

(*fixed)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:56:46 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 12:15:30 AM »
exactly. landed/ditched are treated the same for K/D, the only difference is damage points and perks modifier, so if you got no kills/damage its the same effect. landing properly rather than quickly ditching harms your K/T and D/T.

D/T ?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
hmmmm dont know where that came from. must remember not to post until I've had coffee, I'm not good in the morning :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

D/T ?  :headscratch:

It would be harmful to your droptanks, clearly...  :rolleyes:

:noid
TheStig

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
I glided my 109K4 over a sector yesterday and landed on a runway after I got a radiator hit. I like that rewarding feeling of making it back in (mostly) one piece.

Thought you had a Cessna  :headscratch:
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Thought you had a Cessna  :headscratch:

I have a 109 that I dont talk about much  :D

Remember folks, as soon as you lose your engine make your props coarse. Less drag that way.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
One thing is sure.... it's fair because all have to do it. Everyone knows it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
I always felt that anywhere inside the field box should count as a landing myself. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »
I always felt that anywhere inside the field box should count as a landing myself. . .

i think ppls point is there has to be a cut off point.. inside the square of the field, what next.. "gv distance".. "inside radar ring", "anywhere on the map", etc... you know someone would whine the first time he "barely rolled outside of the field boundary!" and got a ditch!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
i think ppls point is there has to be a cut off point.. inside the square of the field, what next.. "gv distance".. "inside radar ring", "anywhere on the map", etc... you know someone would whine the first time he "barely rolled outside of the field boundary!" and got a ditch!

In the field though does seem quite reasonable.... I'm sure many wouldn't mind, at the same time does take that "challenge" away.... such a tough topic.... it's like walking into an auditorium and saying "ABORTION----GO!"
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

In the field though does seem quite reasonable.... I'm sure many wouldn't mind, at the same time does take that "challenge" away.... such a tough topic.... it's like walking into an auditorium and saying "ABORTION----GO!"

Today, unfortunately I was flying a 262, took severe amounts of fire and lost both my engines, pilot wound, fuel, etc. The aircraft was still controllable, just dead stick and bouts of passing in and out. I was able to make a friendly field, and land, but I blacked out upon touchdown and ended up stopping in the grass next five feet off the field..... 109 perks lost for returning the plane to the field.

My wish is to make so that severely damaged aircraft will not get a ditch so long as they land within the airfield perimeter.

Fire away gents, I know the topic of ditching on the field has come up many times before <S>  :salute

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay