Author Topic: Engine Out Landings  (Read 5898 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Engine Out Landings
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
what exactly is the big deal about landing wheels up with your aircraft that it bothers you so much?  I hardly land wheels down as it is faster for me to land and take off again specially over a capped field.

and for the record, you guys have a 0% chance of ah implementing this wish.  as it is really a non-issue.

semp

If you can't fly with realism, you have no leg to stand arguing realism in the game.

This includes flight, gunnery, and damage modeling.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »
what exactly is the big deal about landing wheels up with your aircraft that it bothers you so much?  I hardly land wheels down as it is faster for me to land and take off again specially over a capped field.

The difference 'tween a gamer and a simmer IMO.  I like the challenge of flying as I would in real life to the extent possible within a desktop computer sim.  Landing gear up is pretty gamey, not to my liking.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »
If you can't fly with realism, you have no leg to stand arguing realism in the game.

you seem to forget this is just a game.  not realism.  or do you think all pilots learn to fly a real airplane with 10 minutes worth of instruction

This includes flight, gunnery, and damage modeling.

what exactly does landing have to do with flight gunnery or damage modeling?

you may want to think you are flying with realism, but you are just bs'ing yourself.  this is only a game :salute

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
I'm with USAF - TUG!  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2012, 04:18:51 AM »
you may want to think you are flying with realism, but you are just bs'ing yourself.  this is only a game :salute
No it's not ONLY a GAME ... It's a SIMULATION. WHY do you think HT -ONLY ALLOWS- real skins on these planes? Why do you think details are modeled down to bomb release latchs?

Not every one is you ... and what THEY want is just as important as what you want ... SIMULATION = realistic ... not REAL. People who enjoy simulations (simmers is a good handle) want IMMERSION ... not reality ... They want it to be believable ... leave 2012 for a bit and return to 1942-3-4-or 5 ... The GAME provides a structure and SIMULATES a conflict that is CLOSE ENOUGH to the real thing to let us fool ourselves for a little bit. Many Simmers aren't REALLY interested in the competitive aspects beyond the IMMERSION in the ENVIRONMENT that they enable. Now MAYBE that IS BSING ... and MAYBE some people enjoy a bit of that ... OK?

This GAME -IS- a simulation ... I don't think that's an arguable point. If YOU enjoy the competition and want to play it YOUR way ... GREAT! NO PROBLEM ... But don't expect HT to degrade the SIM experience to facilitate your point of view ... HT has worked very hard to achieve the level of immersion that is possible in this game.
:cool:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
you may want to think you are flying with realism, but you are just bs'ing yourself.  this is only a game :salute

semp

You can't be bothered to fly with the realism but you demand realism from your "game"?

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
You can't be bothered to fly with the realism but you demand realism from your "game"?
Let's keep in mind that this tread wasn't about Realism vs Gamey ... It was about someone  NOT wanting to loose their perk points when they failed to make a Successfull Landing. In SOME airforces under SOME circumstances that might have gotten you shot (comrade). In some airforces, under some circumstances it might have gotten you a medal (if your name rhymed with Boreing). There isn't anyway I can envision that HT can model that.

You can argue all day about where the line is drawn ... there is no solution that is going to make everybody happy ... HT has DRAWN THAT LINE ... I think everybody needs to BE REALISTIC (!) and RESPECT that ... ? Don't you?
:salute
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »

The two aren't mutually exclusive.  For example, I'm not a fan of modeling engine management.  Sorry, I just don't find it fun.  I am, however, a huge fan of a more detailed damage model and would love to see things like turbulence, updrafts, and crosswinds added, as I feel that adds a lot of fun to the game.

Guys landing wheels up on a perfectly fine plane doesn't bother me when I see it in game if it's done on the concrete, but for some reason the thought of it being the same if they just aim in the general direction of the airfield and skid it in anywhere bugs me a bit.  *shrug*

As to the boundaries they've chosen for good landing vs bad landing, I'm fine with the status quo.  It's fairly reasonable, everybody knows where it is.  I have my preference for where I'd ideally like it to be, but it sure isn't a gamebreaker for me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Can we draw the imaginary line on the perimeter of the base?

chipr
With malice towards some

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
TUG DAMN IT! >.<

It's a fix for all of it.

You roll off, ask for a tug. I say it should only be an option if you land wheels down and all of your engines are out.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

I also wish that when I lowered my landing gear to surrender they wouldn't just shoot me down.  Inhumane sonsabishes.

Some planes can turn better when the gear is down. I understand where you are coming from, what gets me is when gears are down and your landing that they try to make another run at you. But heck, its war.

chipr
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:35 PM »
Getting a "ditch" for going off the concrete is simply a game play choice.  The main arena is set up for a game, it's not set up to simulate WW2.

I got this game all wrong, then.
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
This was credited as a ditch.

Gear down with one wheel on grass 50 feet from the hanger.

(Image removed from quote.)

This was credited as a landing.

(Image removed from quote.)

The plane in the first picture will simply be loaded and fly again only minutes later regardless of the fact that it was credited as if you had ditched 200 miles from friendly territory.

The plane in the second picture will likely never fly again and it is rewarded by the game.

The arena population adjusts and flies even less realistic when some simple changes would net more realism and stop rewarding lazy pilots who can't be bothered to even lower gear to land.

Ouch, my eyes are straining. is that a 262?
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »

semp

So what you are saying is that the plane acm's are not accurate, neither is the weight, drag, dimensions, etc. is all exaggerated? And the skins in the game are all made up from imagination and movie films? Then I guess theres no difference between .50 cals and the 20 mm cannons then either. Come on, Semp

Chipr
With malice towards some

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
Some planes can turn better when the gear is down.

:headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli