Author Topic: i know military history channel is wrong alot but  (Read 1926 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
i know military history channel is wrong alot but
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
the said by 1943 most first rate russian fighters had a rocket built/attached to it for extra speed. and they showed clips of la and yak with rocket  booster going off. thoughts, i really don't wanna see lala's getting rocket boosters for take off or emergencies but if true we might have to consider it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: i know military history channel is wrong alot but
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »
Do any research?

I haven't.

i know military history channel is wrong alot but

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:08:54 AM »
I haven't even HEARD of this, yet alone done research on it. But when I was doing some research to compare the jets of the allies/soviets to those of the Germans, I read that they mounted ramjets to a couple of Polikarpov I-153's for expiramental purposes. But I didn't see anything about any other soviet expiraments with mixed propulsion aircraft untill post-war.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
we have to remember that many russian sources are not translated and the US hates giving Russia credit for anything. i would say look at german sources for confirmation but i cant read greman. the show was secret weapons of russia/stalin (lil drunk) but they where taking about the i16 with the rocket in it and they said " it waisted to much fuel to fast and test pilot died in crash, rocket plane was abandon but many russian front line fighter were equipped with some kind of rocket booster for more speed". now i know this is some what a vague statement but there most be at least something more then an i16 rocket tests to this.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »
No rocket asissted VVS fighters made the front line in the GPW. Its all BS.

In 44/45 there was some investigation into rocket boosted La7's. The weight of the tail mounted boost was not compensated for by the power of the rocket engine. The idea was dropped.

Some wing mounted Rato type solutions were also tried. I can check at home whether any yak protoypes were played with but can ssure you that nothing reached the front line even as a trial basis.
Ludere Vincere

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:52 AM »
we have to remember that many russian sources are not translated and the US hates giving Russia credit for anything.

It's wonderful how alcohol makes you more intelligent.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:25:50 AM by FLS »

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
   Don't know if this site is accurate but shows LA variants with rockets experimental only.....

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/2/Lavochkin%20La%207.htm
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
we have to remember that many russian sources are not translated and the US hates giving Russia credit for anything. i would say look at german sources for confirmation but i cant read greman. the show was secret weapons of russia/stalin (lil drunk) but they where taking about the i16 with the rocket in it and they said " it waisted to much fuel to fast and test pilot died in crash, rocket plane was abandon but many russian front line fighter were equipped with some kind of rocket booster for more speed". now i know this is some what a vague statement but there most be at least something more then an i16 rocket tests to this.

I can remember many many times growing up how Jane's and the western aerospace media credited the USSR with performance
WELL beyond that which was actually capable.  Of course your beloved communists don't even like to admit they took Lend-Lease
products, much less used them.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
Lol, western countries STILL give the USSR (particularly in WWII) too much credit. They always say "well look at the IS-2, it was even better than the Tiger II!"

NO! Thats completly wrong! The Tiger II's actual thickness on the glacis plate (150mm) was thicker than the IS-2's effective thickness (counting slope) of ~140mm on the glacis plate. And theres no comparison on the gun:   KwK 43 > D25-T
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
The fanfare over the IS-2 is a joke.  It was on par with the Panther, not the King Tiger, or even the Tiger I.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
Thats getting into some sketchy comparisons, SmokinLoon, the Panther is better than the Tiger I  in many areas, but the Tiger I out preforms the Panther in others and under specific conditions. Overall, I would consider the Panther a better tank, even if the IS was a better HEAVY tank.

And I think the IS-2 was better than the Tiger I, even if just barely, and only because of its increased armor. But that a German 1942 tank is comperable to a Soviet 1944 tank is really telling.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:19:13 PM by Tank-Ace »

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:32:38 AM »
Also we must remember that german steel sucked during the kingtiger days. It was still to thick for almost anything to penetrate the armor but when hit the steel would crack or send shards flying inside the vehicle killing people. If it was early war german steel it be a different even more unstoppable tank. But for the rocket on las and yaks topic I could def See Russians using "ratos" on planes Russians love short muddy runways (when it's not rainning).

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »
Also we must remember that german steel sucked during the kingtiger days. It was still to thick for almost anything to penetrate the armor but when hit the steel would crack or send shards flying inside the vehicle killing people. If it was early war german steel it be a different even more unstoppable tank. But for the rocket on las and yaks topic I could def See Russians using "ratos" on planes Russians love short muddy runways (when it's not rainning).
You mix it up with the IS-2 again. Maybe the tiger2 sucked, but the IS-2 was famous for that.
AoM
City of ice

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:10:28 AM »
Can I get RATO for my A20?? Seen film of it!
Oh man, that would be too cool..
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
The LA9 got the rocket and possibly a couple of I153.