Author Topic: Aviation user fees  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Aviation user fees
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
It's very important to note that NOT all piston planes are exempt under this proposal.  The proposal allows for an exemption for "recreational piston aircraft".  Many of us, myself included, operate our aircraft for business purposes, thereby subjecting them to the $100 per flight rule.  From the folks in the know I've discussed this with, there's also a strong feeling that flight school aircraft would also be subject to this fee - yes, a person may be taking flight training for recreational use, but the fight training itself is typically a commercial business operation.  The same thing goes if you're operating your aircraft through an LLC with a leaseback arrangement to yourself or your company, then you're back under the business operating umbrella, so it would no longer be considered a recreational use and would be subject to the $100 fee.  Please note, this may not be the final interpretation, but is the general consensus with many of those who are on the front lines fighting this issue.

The good news is the NBAA is fully engaged in working to defeat this proposal.  They have put significant time and resources into the initiative and are getting face time with those in power to educate them about the disastrous effects to small business and the aviation industry if such a fee goes into effect.  For years people have thought of the NBAA as a "jet plane" organization for the big guys only, but the truth is they're a "business airplane" organization - big or small.  In fact, this year they even featured a Cirrus on their publication's cover which was a testament to their desire to be inclusive all of type of business aircraft.  I would encourage those of you who feel strongly about this issue to join and support the organization to help them continue to the good fight.

For additional information, here's a link to one my my blog posts on the subject NBAA interview I participated in regarding the threat: http://www.bradim.com/2011/09/26/brads-nbaa-flight-plan-interview-industry-united-in-thwarting-latest-user-fee-threat/

Here's another piece directly on the NBAA site by Pete Combs: http://www.nbaa.org/advocacy/issues/modernization/20110923-industry-united-in-thwarting-latest-user-fee-threat.php

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »
All humor aside, the AOPA has been fighting user fees for decades. I recall them sending out information about attempts to institute fees back in the late 80's on. It was a bad idea then and now.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I know nothing of aviation fees and all that but I would like to know if non-commercial aircraft currently pay some sort of tax or something that would in fact end up helping fund the ATC? If not then It'd be like yer complaining that toll booths are being placed on highways and its your right to use the state-funded roads for free.  :confused:

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
Tac, it isn't like that at all, really. ATC's focus is that of safety, not revenue.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
It'd be like yer complaining that toll booths are being placed on highways and its your right to use the state-funded roads for free.  :confused:

Well it is.

Jokes aside ATC is primary for safety.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
Hell, they have user taxes on everything else.. Even breathing, lol!
Aren't we all just lovin on this brave new world? :cheers:
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Im not saying it isnt. Im just saying that its got to be funded somehow and if its in use for your safety its logical that you be charged something for its use.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
Someone told me that the tax on AVGAS and JetFuel goes to the FAA which is then used for ATC not sure if its true though.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with ya, just wanted to point out that it isn't quite comparing apples to apples.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
     Wonder how you'd feel if they slapped a $100 tax on you every time you left your driveway?  Alot of business traffic would
simply disappear as businesses felt the pinch.  Why not fly with someone else and let them pay extra.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
     Wonder how you'd feel if they slapped a $100 tax on you every time you left your driveway?  Alot of business traffic would
simply disappear as businesses felt the pinch.  Why not fly with someone else and let them pay extra.
\

they do have you seen the price of gas and tax on it?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

Well, again... its got to be paid for somehow. I get taxed for my local roads so they can be kept in working order (and their street traffic lights) as well as pay toll booths in highways so that they can be kept in a safe working condition. What difference is there between that and the ATC?

A $100 bill I agree may be steep but when you look at it in perspective, how much money is flying a non-commercial plane costing the ATC in terms of man-hours and equipment? A non-commercial plane taken to the sky for recreational or private travel purposes is not essential to the ATC's primary task: keeping the airspace safe for commercial traffic (which is the bulk of it) but it does divert resources from it... so why are non-commercial aircraft getting this service for free?

That to me makes no sense. I know it bites into the pockets of others but from my outsider point of view it comes down to a user-fee being applied to a service people have become accustomed to receiving for free. Hence the unhappiness.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
\

they do have you seen the price of gas and tax on it?

semp

Local prices for fuel:

100LL: $5.75
Jet A: $5.50

Are fuel is a bit more expensive and it's also taxed. No need to make us pay another $100/flight.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
I know nothing of aviation fees and all that but I would like to know if non-commercial aircraft currently pay some sort of tax or something that would in fact end up helping fund the ATC? If not then It'd be like yer complaining that toll booths are being placed on highways and its your right to use the state-funded roads for free.  :confused:

Ever bought any avgas?
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »

A $100 bill I agree may be steep but when you look at it in perspective, how much money is flying a non-commercial plane costing the ATC in terms of man-hours and equipment?

Almost nothing.  Unless you are filed IFR ATC has no responsibility for you, will work you only if workload allows.  The only cost is the tiny bit of electricity needed to light your blip on the radar screen.  A user fee for aircraft would be comparable to making ALL roads toll roads -- toll booth at the end of your driveway.  If a user fee is needed to "cover costs" for aviation then it's also needed for boats, snow-machines, bicycles, joggers/walkers/hikers.  Money is spent maintaining areas/systems/infrastructure for those activities also.  Tit for tat.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"