Author Topic: Ninth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket *SIGN UP HERE*  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Ninth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket *SIGN UP HERE*
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
No second chance.

Fight or die.

(I usually die in round one, and would feel like a bum if I got a second chance.)

EDIT: It is my understanding that the purpose of the tourney is to see who the best pilot involved is, not to see how long it can be dragged out.

:salute
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:36:53 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
While I see what Melvin is saying, though my understanding of the purpose of the tourney is to arrange duels with people that you would. Ot normaly have them. The title part is the bonus.

I also know how it feels to get a bye in round one and it really offering a second chance to random players is no different than offering an easy round to random players via a bye.

I personally like your idea to fill the slots BE. GO for it.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
Would make it interesting considering most have bad days.  :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
In

NatCigg
NatCigg

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
I personally like your idea to fill the slots BE. GO for it.

Would make it interesting considering most have bad days.  :salute

I agree with both above........

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Yes!  FILL Them. Might actually let some newer participants relax more and fly better, knowing a loss may NOT be the end  :cheers:
elfy
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »
Due to the low turnout for this event I'm thinking about a minor change. 

The way things stand now 22 people will fight in elimination round one while 21 people will take first round byes.  In order to keep more people playing during the first week but also not push byes later into the tournament I could match almost everyone (an even number of players leaving a maximum of one person with a week one bye) then randomly select from among the first round losers to advance to fill spots in round two.  Not only would I randomly select them but I'd randomly re-place them in round two so they'd likely get a different opponent in round two.  At our current roster level that means 10 of 21 week one losers would get a second chance.

Thoughts?

I like it!  It gives guys like me a better chance of getting a second round of fights!  The tourney is about fighting, byes aren't fighting.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
Not enough players? Use a smaller bracket.

You want to give losers second chances? Start a loser's bracket.

Please don't give random losers another chance at the title. I mean really, doesn't this tourney usually end up with enough drama and delay as it is?
See Rule #4

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
If I remember what BE said several tourneys ago, the brackets can only be increased by multiplying the numbers by 2 or divided in half. Anything in between would create byes.

Think of the "second chance" guys as the random wild cards.  :D

None of this is for the purpose of creating second chances but to eliminate byes. At least that is the way I take it from BE's post.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

Please don't give random losers another chance at the title. I mean really, doesn't this tourney usually end up with enough drama and delay as it is?
+1
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »
If we got 43 players why not make a single side bracket making 21 first rds with 1 bye and then the remaining 22 players you could split into a double bracket making 10 rds with 2 byes and then you'll be on course to the final.   That would turn 21 byes into just 3
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:44 AM »

Is fighting a guy who lost a first round duel to a top stick that big of a problem to you?

Honestly, with a random first round seed, you are bound to get some first round losers who are more talented then some of the first round winners...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
If we got 43 players why not make a single side bracket making 21 first rds with 1 bye and then the remaining 22 players you could split into a double bracket making 10 rds with 2 byes and then you'll be on course to the final.   That would turn 21 byes into just 3

It wouldn't work that way.  If I paired everyone in the first round (44 players) 22 would advance.  The initial bracket is 64 slots with one side being 32 slots or 16 duels so you'd have to use both sides.  In the next round there's 32 slots (16 duels) total for 22 players, then 16 slots (8 duels) for 11 players then 8 slots (4 duels) for 6 players (quarterfinals) then 4 slots (2 duels) for 3 players (semifinals) then 2 slots for 2 players.  That means someone would be getting buys in the quarter and semi-final rounds.  I don't want that to happen.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2012, 01:27:48 AM »
nvm little slow tonight.  :bhead
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:29:40 AM by DrBone1 »
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
Is fighting a guy who lost a first round duel to a top stick that big of a problem to you?

If that loser gets a second shot at the title then it is an enormous problem for me.

It's not how I perceive a combat bracket working. No points for second place and all that...
See Rule #4