Author Topic: Wright R-1820-G5 Engine  (Read 15459 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wright R-1820-G5 Engine
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
oh I agree the Griffon isnt right, its continuous Military setting should be 2,600/+9 not 2,750/+12, but at least its WEP setting is limited to 5mins, unlike the Brewster. However all the merlin engines spits, the typhoon and tempest are modelled correctly.

finding an example which is also wrong does not make the brewster right. my point stands.

edit:
If you want to limit planes to their real continuous limits (as you did with your Brewster example) then there have to reductions on the highest non-wep setting on several planes.

agreed, although most of the fighters are already pretty consistent. I would be happy to see the XIV revised as above, even though it would reduce the performance of a plane that I fly, in the name of accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:36:31 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
Just because the Finns labeled as MIL what the USAAF would label as WEP does not make it MIL by the USAAF's definition.

The fact and bottom line is that it is a 5 minute limited power rating.  In reality could that be ignored at the expense of the engine's maintenance schedule?  Yes, but that is also true of the 5 minute power limits on Merlin, Griffon and Allison engines as well.  Likely on others too.

As I referenced on the P-40N, the take off setting should be eliminated in favor of the lower setting when a higher WEP setting is also available.  It seems the Spitfire Mk XIV is also in need of that change.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:44:55 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
Brewster doesn't have a WEP setting. It has a Military setting like I've said time and again. Brewster is modelled correctly considering HTC's modelling principle, as is Spit14 btw. If you have a problem with HTC's modelling principle, take it up with them. As I've also said many times, I completely understand why HTC models things the way it does, if you happen to disagree with their principal doesn't mean the Brewster is modelled wrongly.

You don't have a point which could "stand" to begin with. HTC's modelling principal is very clear at least in the aircraft I've looked at. If the setting is designated as Emergency/Combat/Uses ADI etc. in the aircraft's primary source documents, then it has a time limit. If it's named something more ordinary, it is unlimited.

If you want to see the general modelling changed start a thread on the wishlist.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
WMAKER, while WEP may be a specific term in certain countries and in regards to certain planes, in Aces High it is simply the limited-duration max-power setting, often used in combat, but not exclusive to that condition. It is HTC's way of limiting output without having to model overheat and other problems.

If it's a 5-minute limited time power output, it applies to AH's "WEP toggle" function. It doesn't matter what the country in question called it. It doesn't need to be ADI based, or combat based... Even the Ki-84's "WEP" if I recall is more of a takeoff setting.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
yeah I dont know why people get so hung up on the names used in the manuals for power settings. its the settings, time limits, and usage which are being modelled, not the label.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
Just because the Finns labeled as MIL what the USAAF would label as WEP does not make it MIL by the USAAF's definition.

It isn't Finns who labeled it as 'MIL' but Curtiss-Wright, and Brewster Corp. used the same nomenlecture as the engine manufacturer, USAAF and USN.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:26:57 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
If it's a 5-minute limited time power output, it applies to AH's "WEP toggle" function. It doesn't matter what the country in question called it. It doesn't need to be ADI based, or combat based... Even the Ki-84's "WEP" if I recall is more of a takeoff setting.

Based on how the planes are modelled in AH, what matters is how the engine/aircraft manufacturer calls it. Which is MIL in the case of the Brewster.

Everyone can disagree with me all they like, all I'm really saying is that is how they are modelled in AH and that Brewster is consistent with that principle. If you would like to see the setting modelled differently, take it up with HTC. I don't really care how the system works as long as it is consistent. But like I've said I think the energy that goes into fixing something that isn't really broked could be put to better use.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:33:05 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
all I'm really saying is that is how they are modelled in AH and that Brewster is consistent with that principle.

the brewster is not consistent with the other fighters.

the Brewster could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting continuously.
the eg. Spitfire could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting for 5mins.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
the brewster is not consistent with the other fighters.

It is totally consistent with other aircraft that have their highest power setting labeled as MIL/Take off. Spitfire has Combat Power/WEP setting which is something that Brewster doesn't have. Same goes with the F4F-4, P-40C and P-40E for example. They are intentionally modelled the way they are as is the Brewster.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
forget the labelling, look at the settings, time limits and usage.

there is no getting around:

the Brewster could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting continuously.
the eg. Spitfire could only use its maximum power setting for 5mins. in AH it is allowed to use this setting for 5mins.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
Wmaker,

There is no difference between the Brewster's MIL and the Spitfire's WEP.  They both have a 5 minute limit, but could in reality be run until the engine died or ran out of fuel.  One Spitfire V pilot ran his WEP for 30 minutes with no ill effect on the engine.  AH doesn't allow that because the players would simply abuse the engine and always use WEP on Merlin engined aircraft, just like the Brewster is always using its 5 minute power setting.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
there is no getting around:

You can repeat this as many times as you like, it doesn't change how HTC models these things, and in that context, Brewster is modelled exactly as it should. Again, if you have a problem with the general power setting modelling scheme, take it up to HTC. Zekes, P-40C/E, P-39D etc. are modelled similarly to Brewster because HTC wanted to model them that way. You can disagree with the general modelling principle all you like but saying that something is wrongly modelled is simply false.

This doesn't seem to sink in and I can't afford the needed diamond drill, so...

...if you want a change, write thread about it. I'm done with this particular issue.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
Wmaker is correct, Megalodon you need to show some sources to your claim - I would dig through and find the information but Wmaker I know - has his material correct.

Go here pay your 12 bucks and do you own research there are 640 documents on the Wright R-1820 find the 1's you want, contact them and they will get the info for you.

http://www.enginehistory.org/
Knock yourself out,
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
Go here pay your 12 bucks and do you own research there are 640 documents on the Wright R-1820 find the 1's you want, contact them and they will get the info for you.

http://www.enginehistory.org/
Knock yourself out,

If you claim something it is your job to verify that claim, not anyone elses. You claimed that G-5 could only produce 850hp. I've posted primary source data which clearly states that R-1820G-5 is a 1000hp engine. Posting a single web page address which brings the reader to an opening page of the said web site isn't a source.

You still haven't posted single source to support your claim.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
If you claim something it is your job to verify that claim, not anyone elses. You claimed that G-5 could only produce 850hp. I've posted primary source data which clearly states that R-1820G-5 is a 1000hp engine. Posting a single web page address which brings the reader to an opening page of the said web site isn't a source.

You still haven't posted single source to support your claim.

You posted #113a on page 4 of some document.

I'm not going to pay my money to get your answers.

You have already pointed out for us the the R-1820-G5 runs at 1000hp forever and is in need of a mil limit of 5 mins

Thanks,

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:33:45 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520