Author Topic: 88mm Flak fusing and ROF  (Read 2246 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
88mm Flak fusing and ROF
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »

ROF is currently 20rpm, everywhere ive looked states 15-20rpm with an expert crew.

I cant help thinking that this would be with the fusing preset (ie. for defensive guns deep in germany which have had plenty of radar warning of an incoming bomber raid and could therefore preset the alt/time fuses and stack them up ready to fill the sky.)

The fusing station could only take 2 rounds at a time, it seems a bit far fetched that 2 rounds could be loaded into the fusing station, fuses set, rounds loaded into the breech and both fired in just 6s.

Should there be some kind of delay when adjusting the fusing?
And is the ROF too high anyway (ie. ~17rpm would be typical rather than ultimate 20rpm.)

I assume that dispersion is modelled for the 88 rounds (as it is for other rounds), is variance in the fuse delay also modelled?

Cant find any specs on the fuses, but the timings cant have been that accurate and just a tiny time difference would translate into 100s of yards difference.

Given that we can adjust the fusing in realtime with a very accurate readout, and the icon range is also very accurate, I suspect the AH 88s will be much more deadly than RL 88s because the detonation of the shell is much less likely to over/undershoot the target.

thoughts? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: 88mm Flak fusing and ROF
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Is this a significant issue given how difficult to hit with the things are?  We don't exactly have whole batteries controlled by a single player, which might actually make them a credible threat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

ROF is currently 20rpm, everywhere ive looked states 15-20rpm with an expert crew.

I cant help thinking that this would be with the fusing preset (ie. for defensive guns deep in germany which have had plenty of radar warning of an incoming bomber raid and could therefore preset the alt/time fuses and stack them up ready to fill the sky.)

The fusing station could only take 2 rounds at a time, it seems a bit far fetched that 2 rounds could be loaded into the fusing station, fuses set, rounds loaded into the breech and both fired in just 6s.

Should there be some kind of delay when adjusting the fusing?
And is the ROF too high anyway (ie. ~17rpm would be typical rather than ultimate 20rpm.)

I assume that dispersion is modelled for the 88 rounds (as it is for other rounds), is variance in the fuse delay also modelled?

Cant find any specs on the fuses, but the timings cant have been that accurate and just a tiny time difference would translate into 100s of yards difference.

Given that we can adjust the fusing in realtime with a very accurate readout, and the icon range is also very accurate, I suspect the AH 88s will be much more deadly than RL 88s because the detonation of the shell is much less likely to over/undershoot the target.

thoughts? :headscratch:

regarding the RoF, if you research all of the tanks in AH and compare the RoF to what is reported by original sources (military, first hand accounts, etc), you will find discrepancies throughout.  Many times though, it appears as if HTC simply takes what they deem to be the best RoF and apply it to the tanks.  In terms of the 88mm, I think they've done the same thing.  20 RPM is not out of line.

In terms of HE and shrapnel dispersion, do a comparison of the US 5in naval gun, US 90mm AA, Soviet 85mm AA, British 94mm AA, etc, vs the German 88mm and you will find the 88mm was on the bottom of the list in term of TNT and shrapnel amount.  That didnt make it not effective per say, but be careful when comparing it the 5in gun on the naval ships.  
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
I used an 88 around a vbase last night taking pot shots at tanks and planes at different ranges.  The thing that struck me was how long I had to spin my mouse wheel to significantly increase or decrease the range.   Certainly once dialed in it can lob a lot shells, but if the target is moving it was very hard to keep up range wise. 
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
First of all range can be adjusted quickly on the fly with the C and V keys.  However,  I don't see how getting kills with that thing will be anything other than luck.

In other words,  I can't hit a barn with them.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
I've used them quite a bit.  I have not hit anything whatsoever... ever... not even once.  In my hands they are completely and utterly useless.  I've seen other people use them too and I've not seen them hit anything either.  And the OP wants them toned down.

In AH there are but a few 88, maybe 4 max.  In real life there were dozens or even hundreds throwing up an entire wall of flak.  If you make each 88 an accurate representation of real ones then they will be useless in comparison to massed flak.

Offline LeDragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Haven't tried them yet, but if they are similar to a 5" it should be relatively easy to score a few kills.
I was playing with J.U.G.S. before your mothers' started lactating for you.
Yes... thats what I was looking at. Just expecting more hood and less head if you understand me.  
     :O

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Put 88mms in the town. Slave them to a manned gun on a field.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
Haven't tried them yet, but if they are similar to a 5" it should be relatively easy to score a few kills.

They are not at all similar.  First the traverse rate is slower.  Second the player must manually set the fuse timing (range); there is no proximity fuse.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
I can kill the offline drones with them, but I haven't been able to hit anything live with them.

They aren't.  They do not have a proximity fuse.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

Hope that works out for ya...5 inchers have proximity fuses....88s are preset for distance
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
And the OP wants them toned down.

In AH there are but a few 88, maybe 4 max.  In real life there were dozens or even hundreds throwing up an entire wall of flak.  If you make each 88 an accurate representation of real ones then they will be useless in comparison to massed flak.

no I want them modelled accurately, if they arent already. thats different :)

yes there were hundreds of 88s around the more critical targets in germany, but there were also bomber raids with thousands of planes going to them. I'd say its roughly "to scale."
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
no I want them modelled accurately, if they arent already. thats different :)

yes there were hundreds of 88s around the more critical targets in germany, but there were also bomber raids with thousands of planes going to them. I'd say its roughly "to scale."

i think they used alot more heavier guns around critical targets and on moblie AA trains like the 105 and 150mm

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
 :banana: :x :O I love the increased distance on the 5 inchers Icons! Going to have 200+ kills this month! :x :banana: :O
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
I used an 88 around a vbase last night taking pot shots at tanks and planes at different ranges.  The thing that struck me was how long I had to spin my mouse wheel to significantly increase or decrease the range.   Certainly once dialed in it can lob a lot shells, but if the target is moving it was very hard to keep up range wise. 
use C and V for quicker changes
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.