Author Topic: Randomness of the Tater  (Read 1739 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Randomness of the Tater
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
Is the damage all random or is it just me? Half the time, if I land a tater on a plane's tail, it'll fall off. The other half, i'll hit it yet the guy only loses a rudder or an elevator. Same with the wing tips and engine block. They either fall of completely/explode or lose an aileron/get an oil hit. I don't know if it's bad luck or if it's the damage model, but I can't count the times I lost a kill or died because the other got away with taters hits. It's even more fun when they take a hit in the tail AND wing and only lose an elevator/aileron.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Re: Randomness of the Tater
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »
never seen a plane/ anything with 1 engine  take 2 taters...i have had a few times had a p-51 take one 30mm us and german and flew away with nothing missing or smoking

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »
I have film of a P51 taking 3 30mm in 3 separate bursts, taking different damage each time.  First one was engine, forget the 2nd, and 3rd shot hit something in his tail and blew 1/2 of it off.  I'll post it if you want.

It's rare, but it CAN happen.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:01 AM »
if you hit a control surface it will pop off, if you hit the engine it will smoke and shut down. In theory a single engine plane can take 3 hits and glide to the deck.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
I think there is a myth out there that a 30mm tater is a one shot one kill weapon, and although very powerful it certainly is not.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
I have all kinds of films of taters hitting planes and doing next to nothing damage.  A hit from a tater on the engine of a jug can stop it dead in its tracks.  I have put two into the engine nacelle of a lanc and not even gotten an oil leak.  My personal favorite was hitting the cockpit of a dora, actually seeing the round impact the instrument panel from the opponent, on film, and watch the guy fly away. 

Not a one shot kill weapon for sure.  I think it all boils down to timing, skynet, luck. 

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
I think there is a myth out there that a 30mm tater is a one shot one kill weapon, and although very powerful it certainly is not.

It should be an all but a one-shot kill weapon.  Perhaps not because of the impact of the round directly all of the time, but certainly on the next high-g maneuver that the receiver of the 30mm makes, especially if the shot landed on a critical airframe component such as a wing root.  The airframe should be stressed and damaged enough that the affected parts should rip off if the pilot pulls any moves with high G.

Most fighters (note that I do not say bombers) should take heavy enough damage from a 30mm or two to render them unable to do anything but limp home, not being able to continue a protracted, high maneuvering dogfight, climb, dive, etc. without tearing something important off.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
if you hit a control surface it will pop off, if you hit the engine it will smoke and shut down. In theory a single engine plane can take 3 hits and glide to the deck.

Yep, took one one into the engine and killed it.  Still glide it back home since i was +25k.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
I have absorbed a single tater in a jug and survived a couple of times, but it is pretty rare. Usually 1 tater = 1 trip to the tower.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
It should be an all but a one-shot kill weapon.  Perhaps not because of the impact of the round directly all of the time, but certainly on the next high-g maneuver that the receiver of the 30mm makes, especially if the shot landed on a critical airframe component such as a wing root.  The airframe should be stressed and damaged enough that the affected parts should rip off if the pilot pulls any moves with high G.

Most fighters (note that I do not say bombers) should take heavy enough damage from a 30mm or two to render them unable to do anything but limp home, not being able to continue a protracted, high maneuvering dogfight, climb, dive, etc. without tearing something important off.

(Image removed from quote.)

Right, what you just said was that most of the time a single round into a fighter destroys or cripples it.  Which is exactly what we have in AH.  But it is not a One hit 100% chance of a kill as many think it has to be, and then cry foul.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
I think it's good with some degree of randomness. Accounts for those lucky few who made it back with what would normally be catastrophic damage.

No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »
Right, what you just said was that most of the time a single round into a fighter destroys or cripples it.  Which is exactly what we have in AH.  But it is not a One hit 100% chance of a kill as many think it has to be, and then cry foul.

No, certainly not 100%, but 90% of the time, a 30 mm hit should make most single engine fighters start thinking about something beyond continuing the fight.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
I think it's good with some degree of randomness. Accounts for those lucky few who made it back with what would normally be catastrophic damage.

(Image removed from quote.)
Even 7.9 bullets could do that. Hurricanes and wood and fabric tail sections...

I have a film of hitting a yak with 3 taters and the 3rd pass I killed it.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
There's definitely some randomness it seems, or such a level of precision that separates a fatal shot from a non fatal shot that essentially creates a random environment for the shooter.  The better you aim, the more lethal you will be, regardless of "anomalies".