Author Topic: ENY and side balancing outdated and a freking JOKE!  (Read 6340 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: ENY and side balancing outdated and a freking JOKE!
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
Are you unclear on the concept of percentages?  It certainly seems so.

Hey, if ya can't club someone with cold, hard facts, what can you club them with?     :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
Are you unclear on the concept of percentages?  It certainly seems so.

Yes i do, and the PERCENTAGE system is outdated......should be based on number of players!
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »
Yes i do, and the PERCENTAGE system is outdated......should be based on number of players!

Why?

What is it based upon, now?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »

No, it shouldn't.  Stop whining.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

What percentage of it is out of date?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

Are we trying to change the percentage system to make per-cent have a different meaning than 1 out of 100?

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

Here is the shortcoming of a percentage based ENY:
When overall numbers are low, ENY kicks in very early because of the percentage imballance.
When there are many players in the arena ENY is under applied, again because it takes a large imballance in terms of actual number of players to trigger ENY.

Example would be with low numbers you may have a side with +10 players and and eny of 10-15.. 10 players spread over the map, or even concentrated in 2 or 3 places is virtually no advantage, hence no need for the penalty.

Contrast that when there are 4-5 hundred players on, and the worst case senerio being when only 1 of the 3 countries is at a numbers disadvantage. This ascerbates the shortcomings of the % based system, because now you have 2 countries with larger percentages, however the percent differential between the high countries and the low is diluted by the fact that 2 have high numbers..  In this situation you can have a 60+ player differential and <5 eny penalty.. 60 players is a massive advantage and nearly always leads to a roll.

In the past the ease of switching sides back and forth lead many players to country hop in search of favoriable perk ride cost and perk point accumulation, as well as the opportunity to choose a fight if it wasn't on his current country's front. The 12 hour rule effectivly ended this, which was a very useful tool in number balancing.(Not that I want putz-a-war busting missions on an hourly basis mind you)
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »
So your suggesting that when the numbers are low that everyone spreads out so the side are really more even than it looks right?

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Just make eny apply only to people in flight. The people sitting AFK or what not are the problems for ENY. It is their right tho to sit there, like it or not, but HTC should also take this more into consideration IMO.

-OR-

Attach a 'timer' to anyone in the tower. If they don't input some sort of command in a set amount of time, say 5 minutes, they no longer count for ENY purposes until they are active, which would immediately enter them back into the ENY equation.

If this is a repeat idea, sorry, I'm too buzzed to read the small nonsense posts and skipped to the end.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Just make eny apply only to people in flight. The people sitting AFK or what not are the problems for ENY. It is their right tho to sit there, like it or not, but HTC should also take this more into consideration IMO.
Problem with that is that large missions would exempt, or at least limit, the effect of ENY on them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
If you think about this logically you can see that there is an area where the current ENY/Balancing system has a potential weakness.

First, I am starting with a few logical assumptions.
1.) The current ENY/Balance system is intended to hinder the numerically superior side from just numerically overwhelming each base capture.
2.) The current ENY/Balance system applies the same percentage calculation to the player population all the time (from a minimum of 70 players to a maximum of 600 players). 
3.) With the current base capture system, the work (i.e. what you need to do in order to capture a base) is static.

Since the work required to capture a base is static, the chosen percentage calculation must work over a wide range of player population. It is my personal belief that an attacking force of more than 15 players constitutes an overwhelming force that is detrimental to game play. I'm sure this number can be argued and if there is sufficient defense then the number could even be significantly higher, but 15 vs. 3 or 4 defenders is an overwhelming attack in most cases.

If you look at the images the OP provided, you can see that with the current system as the total number of players in the arena goes up, the potential for numerically unbalanced attacks also increases. And that is a genuine weakness of the current ENY/Balance system.

There are a few different options for addressing this issue, but I want to get the core of the problem discussed first.

:salute Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
Yeah have 20 more players and eny is 15....have 60 more eny ZERO!!!!! System works well.............. :x :x :x :x :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl Time for a change!

(Image removed from quote.)

You're right, the Rooks should be at least 12-14.  :aok
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
So your suggesting that when the numbers are low that everyone spreads out so the side are really more even than it looks right?

I'm saying that a 60 player advantage is greater than a 10 player advantage regardless of percentages. If 40% of the surpluss decided to concentrate their force, then you are talking about 4 out of 10 players, or 24 out of 60. 4 players is nothing, 24 is a "horde" by any horde whiner definition. So imbedded in the 60 player advantage you very frequently have a overwhelming cohesive force.

I'm not arguing for a mechanism to ballance the players per side (but reverting to the 1 hour rule would be a help), just if you are going to have ENY at all make it impactful, otherwise do away with it..
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
I personally would rather see the whole ENY limiting system out the door. Each plane and GV should still have an ENY for perk reasons, but make it so the ENY never limits what you can up. Or let the GV's be exempt from it. Nothing more frustrating than being in a big GV battle and suddenly you can't even up an M4 because of the ENY. The ENY is something I've hated from the very beginning.