Author Topic: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
I recall discussions about allowing players the option of manual gear shift for GVs.  Does anyone recall whether this was implemented in the game, and/or where the threads discussing this were.  Our search engine doesn't work well for recent instances of common words like "gears". 

Thanks in advance,
MH

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
Nope. Auto transmission only. You can always stop accelerating at the speed you want and it will stay in that gear until the speed changes due to hills or whatever.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
Can you recall any of the threads discussing this?  I would think this would be a good candidate for Wishlist enhancements, and would like to see what had been said previously. 

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
Fugitive,

Just out of curiosity, what search settings did you use?  When I tried a time-limited search (i.e. 1 through 365 days) for "gears", it sat there for 10 minutes until I gave up.  

MH
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:45:43 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
I don't understand the desire to go back to the old transmission system, about the only difference is that you can get to top gear with one button(s) press instead of 4 or 5.  If I still want to creep forward in 1st or 2nd gear I can still do that, I don't see how anything was lost, maybe I'm missing something.
 :headscratch:
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »
I don't understand the desire to go back to the old transmission system, about the only difference is that you can get to top gear with one button(s) press instead of 4 or 5.  If I still want to creep forward in 1st or 2nd gear I can still do that, I don't see how anything was lost, maybe I'm missing something.
 :headscratch:

Check out the search results above, for why.  

I don't want to eliminate the new system, as some people like it, and it enables non-joystick GV play.  I was thinking more of having manual transmission be an option.  There clearly is a significant group of people who would use it.  

A precedent is the old Air Warrior numeric keypad view system, which exists side-by-side with hat-buttom view systems.  Thus everyone is happy. 

MH
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:47:21 PM by TDeacon »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
I searched for manual transmission back 700 days, but un-checked all the thread categories except "general discussion" and "technical support". Even cutting the search down to those two still took a couple minutes for it to complete the search.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
Check out the search results above, for why.  

I don't want to eliminate the new system, as some people like it, and it enables non-joystick GV play.  I was thinking more of having manual transmission be an option.  There clearly is a significant group of people who would use it.  

A precedent is the old Air Warrior numeric keypad view system, which exists side-by-side with hat-buttom view systems.  Thus everyone is happy. 

MH

Honestly never use a joystick while using a ground vehicle, its VERY inaccurate. Best way is to learn Manual GV shifting of speed while using a mouse to aim, turning down the sensitivity increases accuracy at long range - however its draw back is any GV's that get on top of you are an issue.

However - The Auto transmission is way to easy to understand, I see no reason to use manual transmission as you can already do that with the Automatic. Instead of doing Shift W simply tap W until you get the desired Gear/speed you want.

JG 52

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »
Honestly never use a joystick while using a ground vehicle, its VERY inaccurate. Best way is to learn Manual GV shifting of speed while using a mouse to aim, turning down the sensitivity increases accuracy at long range - however its draw back is any GV's that get on top of you are an issue.

However - The Auto transmission is way to easy to understand, I see no reason to use manual transmission as you can already do that with the Automatic. Instead of doing Shift W simply tap W until you get the desired Gear/speed you want.

Manual is better for climbing hills and for initial accelleration at spawn points.  Note that my proposal to add manual would retain the auto as well, so you could still do your stuff. 

MH

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
Manual is better for climbing hills and for initial accelleration at spawn points.  Note that my proposal to add manual would retain the auto as well, so you could still do your stuff. 

MH

and it has been asked for before not long after the automatic was introduced. I wouldn't count on them changing it.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
Sadly, no. The automatic transmission remains. Most folks seem to like it
okay; I'm not one of 'em. For me, it's a horror show trying to get it
out of first gear, whether I'm hitting "W" or "Shift W". The only thing that
gets it out of first gear is twisting the rudder on my X52 for five minutes,
and even that's not a sure thing.
  My problem's not an isolated one, either.

Regards, Odd

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »
I would only say its better at getting a quick start off the spawn point. But for climbing hills, its basicly a dead heat.

The only thing it does when climbing that is annoying is sometimes try to jump upto the next gear repeatedly, which you can stop by simply tapping the "S" key.

Past that, I never noticed any difference. Besides the ability to go super-speed down even gentle declines I mean, which I suspect is a big reason people want the old manual system back.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »

MH

How is it better for going up hills?

Sadly, no. The automatic transmission remains. Most folks seem to like it
okay; I'm not one of 'em. For me, it's a horror show trying to get it
out of first gear, whether I'm hitting "W" or "Shift W". The only thing that
gets it out of first gear is twisting the rudder on my X52 for five minutes,

and even that's not a sure thing.
  My problem's not an isolated one, either.

Regards, Odd

Calibrate your rudder?
Increase the deadband o your rudder?

It's not a transmission issue, it's your twisty rudder that is the problem.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:20 AM »
How is it better for going up hills?

Calibrate your rudder?
Increase the deadband o your rudder?

It's not a transmission issue, it's your twisty rudder that is the problem.
wrongway

First, Auto transmission climbs hills far better then manual - if you go one to many gears you get stuck, auto you simply just keep moving towards the hill, except for the T34/85 which has to go backwards up the hill - even in first gear it still won't go forward up a hill.

Oddball's problem is either in the twist stick or the rudder pedals - if your rudder is out of calibration your tank won't go past first gear or 5-10mph.
If your turret continues to move then you need to deadband your stick or add dampening.

I tanked for years with manual/automatic - Automatic is by far way easier to tank then Manual, for those that hate it simply haven't understood it.
People still use a joystick - I cant understand that part when tanking, a Mouse gives me the sensitivity to make easy 3-4k shots which a joystick can't do period.
JG 52