Author Topic: Yak-9UT, Was this in enough numbers to qualify for AH  (Read 2884 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Yak-9UT, Was this in enough numbers to qualify for AH
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
As long as the weight of the weaponry and the drag is modeled correctly.....

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
As long as the weight of the weaponry and the drag is modeled correctly.....

Why wouldnt it, I dont understant? :headscratch:

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

What I found so far is the aircraft was tested March 8-29th 1945 - One regiment flew the Yak-9UT and destroyed 27 aircraft total for loss of two during the testing phase during the closing weeks of WW2. I cannot find any information on which Guards Regiment flew it, however "testing" is routinely brought up.

Per the profiles site I listed above they are named with two units well in fact three units I guess the pilot took the same plane with him to a second squadron. Plus a fourth squadron that I missed on that site. Are they all WWII combat active units?

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/15/1/10
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:14:19 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Per the profiles site I listed above they are named with two units well in fact three units I guess the pilot took the same plane with him to a second squadron. Plus a fourth squadron that I missed on that site. Are they all WWII comabat active units?

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/15/1/10

I can only translate so much, it doesn't get into details with the unit names or where they flew (typical of russia). My question is if it was in testing in March 1945 - where is the line drawn before it goes combat active status? Is that After March 29th? Or is it considered combat status on March 8th?
I wish it was more informative like saying it was combat testing rather then "trial period"
JG 52

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
squad strength before V-day
recorded kills against enemies

- the Russians had a lot of very late war stuff fight the Japanese in Manchuria though. . .so that is where I would look.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
Soviets also often took up to a year to test and train on new craft before actively deploying them. They may have been in "units" but what kinds? They don't quite qualify them as "training units" like some German or RAF squads did, but you would have to know what squadrons and get a brief idea of what that squad was doing on those dates.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Soviets also often took up to a year to test and train on new craft before actively deploying them. They may have been in "units" but what kinds? They don't quite qualify them as "training units" like some German or RAF squads did, but you would have to know what squadrons and get a brief idea of what that squad was doing on those dates.
This fellow talks about this plane a little & that only a few hot shot pilots got to fly it.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/pomorov/pomorov.htm

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:44 PM »
Sounds like it saw more combat than the Ta-152.....  :noid
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLogyYXAVcc

Very nice roll rate on Carroll's Yak-9. I wonder how it compares to its AH namesake.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
I wonder if russian pride in thier own planes caused them to not use the later high performance planes lended to them.

Who needed a p63 if they had La5FN, LA7....Yak9, yak3....etc.

Offline lmxar

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
Sounds like it saw more combat than the Ta-152.....  :noid

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
This fellow talks about this plane a little & that only a few hot shot pilots got to fly it.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/pomorov/pomorov.htm

How do you know he wasn't talking about regular Yak-9T? 9T was more difficult to handle than 9.

---

In the interview:

How do you think, what was more dangerous for Il’s, fighters or flak?

Both, but flak from ships still was worse. AAA shot at the planes and at the water, on purpose. For low flying aircraft water columns are the same as a direct hit by large caliber shell.

Here Hitech you have more TODO work. Of course after the eye candy, you know.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
I wonder if russian pride in thier own planes caused them to not use the later high performance planes lended to them.

Who needed a p63 if they had La5FN, LA7....Yak9, yak3....etc.

P-63s were used by the Soviets when they attacked Japan.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
Does anyone have any information on what Aircraft were flown between Japan and Russia in late 1945? A good argument could be made about this even though the action was quite short - they still were in combat status and flown in regiments.

I suppose I could do the research, Its always interested me, but I never really got around to reading on it.
JG 52

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »

From early 44 onwards it was typical for a full regiment to be equipped with the first production batch for active combat duty under assessment.

Subsequent batches held back for modification.

Hence this first batch saw combat very quickly and was under assessment on the frontline.

Particularly true of the La7, Yak3 and Yak9U (although problems with the VK107 delayed the Yak 9U to a point where two regiments went to the front line under assessment)

Thru 41 to 43 production batches were immediately issued to front line units. LaGG, Lavochkin, Mig and Yaks being continually  subject to minor changes as production quality defects were found or slight increases in engine performance/reliability discovered.

The best average life of any VVS aircraft in the GPW was 3 months............. less so in the period 41 to 43.
Ludere Vincere