Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
Re: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
If Ford gave a crap about the overrated piece of junk called a Corvette, all they have to do is produce some more Ford GT's.   Wipe the vette butt off any track all day and all night.  Funny you don't see vettes in a real race situation very often.  Well, maybe not funny, rather it's telling that you don't.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a long, long time. Hilarious, but dumb!  :rofl

Virginia International Raceway

2:50.7  CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1  
2:53.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06  
2:58.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
3:00.7  FORD GT
3:01.2  CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51)
3:02.8  FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA
3:04.0  FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

From here http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-sortable-times-complete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

Ford GT = "Hey, look at me, I have a great looking but comparatively slow car that I paid wayyy too much for."

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
I'd only read a little about it, little interest, ya know.  :D

What's your source for that 2:58 time? The Feb 2011 test of the current GT500 in the C&D Lightning Lap netted a 3:04:00 time for the GT500, 1.2 sec slower than the Boss 302.

2:58.48 to be exact. it's all over the place.
watch and enjoy a poorly driven car running in under 3 minutes........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR7PIZhFUdc

i think that if nothing else, had he kept from bouncing the thing off the rev limiter nearly every shift, he could've probably trimmed another second or two off of it.

here's a few other links.....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1045244_2011-shelby-gt500-improves-lap-time-at-vir-by-eight-seconds

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2011-ford-gt500-bests-2010-v-i-r-lap-time-by-9-seconds-video.html

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/11/16/the-2013-shelby-gt500s-official-top-speed-202-mph/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:18:36 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Our ford GT goes over 270mph in the standing mile.

Our fastest corvettes with near the same horsepower can't come within 28mph of it.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
there is no question thagt the vette is the king. undisputed. even when the vipers were faster, they still were basiclly race cars adapted for the street....and my understanding is that they were uncomfortable due to this.

That's exactly it. Hajo mentioned the 'Ring record that the Viper ACR recently took from the ZR1, and an impressive time it was.

Set by a Viper ACR, a car with no AC, no stereo, no interior carpeting or upholstery, all sound deadening removed, on race tires and suspension settings that would never be liveable on even the best of US streets. In other words, a stripped down, barely street legal race car.

It barely edged out the timse set by the ZR1, which oddly enough had AC, stereo, premium interior, and ran on DOT legal performance street tires.

The viper is an impressive car, none-the-less, but for regular driving, it's a terribly impractical, uncomfortable pig.
Floyd

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
Our ford GT goes over 270mph in the standing mile.

Our fastest corvettes with near the same horsepower can't come within 28mph of it.

WhoopdieDammDoo. You give me enough money I'll make a Chevy Chevette run 300 mph.

We're talking about factory performance figures, not "Let's throw $50,000 at this car to make it better."
Floyd

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
now here's something interesting that i found on a link from one that i provided....a possible nurburgring in the good ole usa?  :D :D :D :D
http://www.leftlanenews.com/nurburgring-replica-coming-to-las-vegas.html
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
WhoopdieDammDoo. You give me enough money I'll make a Chevy Chevette run 300 mph.

We're talking about factory performance figures, not "Let's throw $50,000 at this car to make it better."

if i threw 50k at my gt........first off, i'd be pretty stupid.....but i'd be pretty stupid with a REALLY cool mustang.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »
My opinion the Laguna is an over priced status symbol, you would be better off with a stock pony and taking the extra 20k-30k [cost difference] and buying some real performance upgrades for it so it truly would kick butt.   :bolt:

Your numbers are off significantly.

A Boss 302 retail price with the Recaro seats and upgraded helical differential ($1995 retail option) isn't even $10,000 more than my V6 convertible. Even less a gap for a premium GT coupe with similar equipment. In fact the price I was offered which had me so hot and bothered about stepping into one narrowed that gap by another 20%. Laguna Secas are only ~7,000 more than that.

I'll be having a Race Red Boss 302 at some point. I want to build a C3 big window with an LS motor first to break in my new garage (been on my to-do list for a long time) but chickened out with the house buying and not wanting to trade away/sell my pretty blue vert.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
2:58.48 to be exact. it's all over the place.
watch and enjoy a poorly driven car running in under 3 minutes........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR7PIZhFUdc

i think that if nothing else, had he kept from bouncing the thing off the rev limiter nearly every shift, he could've probably trimmed another second or two off of it.

Actually CAP, having raced (and won) at VIR, I can tell ya that wasn't a poorly driven car at all. The rev limiter thing seems counter-intuitive, but I can tell you it makes for a quicker lap if you ride that rev limiter at the end of straights, just before braking zones, instead of trying to grab the next gear. Now, if you're bouncing off it excessively before upshifts early in the straight, you're wasting time. But I can tell you, he used every bit of that track and put the car in all of the places it needed to be.
Floyd

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Actually CAP, having raced (and won) at VIR, I can tell ya that wasn't a poorly driven car at all. The rev limiter thing seems counter-intuitive, but I can tell you it makes for a quicker lap if you ride that rev limiter at the end of straights, just before braking zones, instead of trying to grab the next gear. Now, if you're bouncing off it excessively before upshifts early in the straight, you're wasting time. But I can tell you, he used every bit of that track and put the car in all of the places it needed to be.

hhmm....i actually thought hitting it like that was a bad thing....but i can see your point as you explained it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »
where'd they pull the magnetic ride suspension from again? where'd they pull the supercharger from again?  :devil

So is a Mustang just a Thunderbird in disguise? I mean, it has a V8, and of course Ford put that in the Thunderbird first, the Mustang came later....  :headscratch:

:D

Acura and Mercedes use magneto rheological tech in their suspensions, off a GM patent..... does that make them also Corvettes in disguise?  :lol
Floyd

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
So is a Mustang just a Thunderbird in disguise? I mean, it has a V8, and of course Ford put that in the Thunderbird first, the Mustang came later....  :headscratch:

Acura and Mercedes use magneto rheological tech in their suspensions, off a GM patent..... does that make them also Corvettes in disguise?  :lol

no, that just makes them german engineers that admit they aren't as good as they think they are.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
So is a Mustang just a Thunderbird in disguise? I mean, it has a V8, and of course Ford put that in the Thunderbird first, the Mustang came later....  :headscratch:

Acura and Mercedes use magneto rheological tech in their suspensions, off a GM patent..... does that make them also Corvettes in disguise?  :lol

The Thunderbird was an early, direct competitor to the Corvette.    

The Magnetic Suspension on the Camaro is a cheapened version of the CTS-V suspension.   Just read up on the 2013 GT500.     :rofl      

I've driven all three Pony cars and still Overall prefer the Mustang, especially the Stage One Roushes.  It provides a "softer suspension" in the twisties and is still comfortable for a Daily Driver.   The Stang is followed closely by the Challenger.   I have driven an SRT8 from Michigan to Naples for delivery to the Roush Naples, FL site.    I was then allowed to "stretch it's legs" on their test track.    The only modifications were in the powertrain, mild tuning, etc.    But in the corners the oversteer was rediculous, but made drifting the preferred method.    

EDIT:   You are way off on your bashing of the Mustang and it shows on your exaggerated pricing of the Laguna Seca.   It's obvious you hate the Mustang, but show some intelligence in your statements.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:55:50 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
The Thunderbird was an early, direct competitor to the Corvette.    

Thank you for the history lesson, Captain Obvious. I know it was a competitor to the Corvette, and am thankful for it... had it not been for the T-bird and its V8, Zora Arkus-Duntov never would have written that letter to GM management convincing them to put the V8 in the Corvette for '55 and get rid of that Blue Flame 6, and he may have never wound up as Chief Engineer if he hadn't written that letter. In case it went over your head, my remark to CAP was sarcasm.

The Magnetic Suspension on the Camaro is a cheapened version of the CTS-V suspension.   Just read up on the 2013 GT500.     :rofl      

You might want to read up on GM... the CTS-V magnetic suspension is based on the ZR-1 suspension, as I stated. The patents were earned with a Corvette test mule, and were on the ZR-1 years before the CTS-V.

I've driven all three Pony cars and still Overall prefer the Mustang, especially the Stage One Roushes.  It provides a "softer suspension" in the twisties and is still comfortable for a Daily Driver.   The Stang is followed closely by the Challenger.   I have driven an SRT8 from Michigan to Naples for delivery to the Roush Naples, FL site.    I was then allowed to "stretch it's legs" on their test track.    The only modifications were in the powertrain, mild tuning, etc.    But in the corners the oversteer was rediculous, but made drifting the preferred method.    

YAY! You have formed a very subjective opinion based on your driving preferences. Not that it matters when we're talking about actual road course lap times. But GO YOU!  :aok

EDIT:   You are way off on your bashing of the Mustang and it shows on your exaggerated pricing of the Laguna Seca.   It's obvious you hate the Mustang, but show some intelligence in your statements.

If that was directed at me, try rereading my posts, and come back when you have a clue. I never said anything about the Boss302 Laguna's price, that was someone else. My comments have been limited to facts concerning track times and comparison tests. I don't hate the Mustang, I really don't care one way or the other. I'm just here to get CAP all worked up.
Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »

Lap times mean everything.   I don't have anything else of validity to add to the discussion, but I am right.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC