Author Topic: Stop Joseph Kony- rescue thousands of children  (Read 5312 times)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Stop Joseph Kony- rescue thousands of children
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
This is the problem.

We will drop bombs all over North Africa in the name of "humanitarian crisis",
but we won't raise a finger to stop the genocide in sub-Saharan Africa.

That says a lot about prejudice and lack of oil.

I would love for Kony to be captured and brought to Justice.  

I just have these problems:
1. This has been going on for many years
2. Us troops have been deployed to Uganda for months
3. There is evidence that Kony isn't even in Uganda
4. Us troops are sent there as advisors with instruction to "remove [Kony] from the battlefield".  So they aren't really advisors and they are combat equipped.
5. We are spending money that we don't have
6. Invisible Children is a money making operation and a scam
7. Everyone is just now recently getting worked up about this and think they help by posting a video
8. No one can do this:

This is why I poke fun at the absurdity of it.  Also Melvin please don't generalize me.  I don't support Obama's policy on bombing Libya either so it isn't like I am a racist bigot who can help North Africans but not Ugandans.  It isn't our job to do either.  We should only act when the safety of our nation is at risk.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:48:07 PM by curry1 »
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:12 AM »
This whole social media blitz smells very, very fishy to me.  So I did a little research, here is just one of the links I found regarding Invisible Children. LINK

The short version is this, if you give money to this Invisible Children "charity" it will go to
     A)  Line the pockets of wealthy California businessmen.
     B) Prop up and support the military arm of the corrupt Ugandan government.
     C) Support the Sudan People’s Liberation Army, which on the taking advantage of children front is not far behind Kony's LRA, according to the UN

The fact is that Kony is not even in Uganda anymore, his is on the run and in hiding after he was routed by US troops.  He may even be dead already.

His atrocities have been going on for 30 years, and now he's about done for.  Don't you think this "charity" is a little late to the party...  by about 25 years.  This is obviously nothing more then an attempt to make money by preying on peoples emotions, don't fall for it.

Kony's atrocities are not the cause of central Africa's problems, they are a symptom of it.  Killing or capturing him, will no more stop genocide and war in central Africa, then killing Osama Bin Laden stopped extremist Islamic terrorism.

Maybe I'm just a heartless $#@#&! but I think it is incredibly foolish and naive to believe that you can stop a crazy warlord and bring peace to an entire region by sitting on your comfy couch, watching a 20 minute video, and then clicking "share".  I think that if you are truly moved to help the cause... maybe, just maybe, you need to put in a little more effort.  

Remember when everyone on facebook stopped child abuse by changing their profile pics to cartoon characters?   Whew!  I'm sure glad we don't have to worry about child abuse in our society anymore.    :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:10:15 AM by saggs »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:59 AM »

8. No one can do this:
(Image removed from quote.)

I can  :aok    But probably only because I have family who spent the summer there.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 02:55:26 AM »
These kinds of people cry all the time about how we're occupying regions in which we have no business. Remember Iraq? The Iraq with Saddam Hussein, who had a death tally double of Kony's, and was bluffing that he had WMD's as well? How did the college kids like us "intervening" there? And then they about-face and start demanding this man be brought to justice. Screw these people (IC Inc.), if they want change throughout the world they can do it themselves. The US Military is for defending our interests as a nation, not our peace of mind. I mean Golly-geen, it's called the Department of Defense, and this guy poses no threat to us.

At least these people understand that you have to use force to get things done, most hipsters think changing what you plan on wearing for a day is going to make a difference. But what they should be doing instead of trying to use the Government and the Military as their errand-runners is either going there themselves, because it is their initiative (but they won't because every single one of them has more than one pair of lips, if you catch my drift), or use all the money they raise to hire a PMC and take the guy down.

I don't want to sound indifferent, but as a nation Kony is not our problem.

This guy articulates my sentiment much better http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »
Remember Iraq? The Iraq with Saddam Hussein, who had a death tally double of Kony's, and was bluffing that he had WMD's as well?

wow, you're hilariously deluded  :lol

Iraq was bluffing that they had WMDs  :noid

or

the claim that Iraq definitely had WMDs was used as a justification for waging war and removing Saddam Hussein (not a bad thing), but WMDs were not actually found  :headscratch:

The US Military is for defending our interests as a nation

and Israel's, don't forget ;)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »
Ok, I see where this is going so we might as well clear the ice before it melts. I support stopping Joseph Kony, I do not support Uganda Government. For they are responsible for more deaths then Kony. Also that the invisible children inc isn't donating all the money to stop Kony less then 32% of it to direct supporters.

Seriously though do you support the cause to stop it or not. (lol who am I kidding)

Do not tell me what I should do.

Show me what you have done, yourself so that I may be inspired to follow your lead.  Anything else is rhetoric and hot air.

Tupac posts about helping animals in shelters and then provides pictures of him using his own airplane and fuel to transport them to better places/homes.  That I can respect.

You, on the other hand, post a youtube link (which can be a movie cut/pasted/edited by anyone) and tell everyone how they should care for your cause.  It is grandstanding at it's finest.  

I will say, however, that you show great promise for having a splendid career in politics.

Lead by example.

Lead from the front.

Others are more likely to follow you...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »
Tupac stop being one of the guys, who says don't jump on the band wagon. There's only room for those who care.

You have what is important to you and others have what is important to them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 07:38:49 AM »

I will say, however, that you show great promise for having a splendid career in politics.

:aok

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
Just heard a term used bt a friend of mine to describe these people who think they are ACTUALLY HELPING him be caught and brought to justice by posting a VIDEO on a SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE.

"Slacktivists"

It fits quite well. If you looked at the number of people who have posted this video in the last 3 days, versus those who would/have really done something to do ANYTHING, you would find a very high ratio of "slacktivists" vs. "Activists"

I'd also like to know why everyone wants to stop him when he is in any one of 5 or 6 politically turbulent countries.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
saggs wins.

Also to stealth stop asking if people care. Most people care that he is killing innocent people and kidnapping children but they are realists and understand how stuff works. He isn't the first African tyrant and won't be the last. Also if he is killed or captured someone will take his place. Assuming Childrens Inc isn't a scam (i think it is) they have been at it for 9 years and nothing has changed. If 100 American troop advisors is the cure to this then it isn't a big deal at all. Saggs said it best our resources should be used to defend our nation not save the world and Kony isn't a threat to our nation. Our country has much bigger problems. Find out how many people are murdered in the US each year and how many kids are kidnapped (I don't know but would like to compare). So yes i want him stopped but realistically it won't matter and isn't possible with me clicking share or slangin posters or givin a few dollars to a shady org.

Offline Wiseguy980

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
Dont
Care

Y'know why?

Where's your thread about the Sudan? Oh, George Clooney stopped talking about it so it must be fixed right?
How about China? Meh, it's mainly Christians being killed there so who cares right?
Somalia? Meh, no celebrities whining about that one either.

I just wish all these bleedin hearts would get their crap together and do something besides moan and whine. Politics is the new opiate of the masses. R's vs D's or whatever other useless party exists.

Oh I know, go get yourself some poster boards and paint from Walmart and a Guy Falkes mask off Amazon so you can go stink up a park somewhere,. That'll solve things!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Sympathy without action, as is the norm in the developed world when they see stuff like this, is perhaps even more useless than ignorance.  At least with ignorance there is a chance for action to happen when the ignorance is lifted, but when the ignorance is not there and there is no action, there is no meaning to sympathy.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
If you want to actually make the world a better place go volunteer at a soup kitchen or animal shelter. Posting something online and pretending you're helping is accomplishing absolutely nothing

Yes it does.  It makes people aware since we don;t all know everything like you.  Did you sign up for that military thingie yet?  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
Yes it does.  It makes people aware since we don;t all know everything like you

Are you serious? :huh

The video has in excess of 37,000,000 views. What's been done so far, jacksh*t. Nobody even knows where he IS right now. 50, 100, 500 million views won't bring Joe Kony out of power. Action will.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
Are you serious? :huh

The video has in excess of 37,000,000 views. What's been done so far, jacksh*t. Nobody even knows where he IS right now. 50, 100, 500 million views won't bring Joe Kony out of power. Action will.

Yes I am.  Up until I saw something on Yahoo this morning I did not know about it so had I missed that, this post would have brought i to my attention.  Tupac was the only one that had nothing to offer with his post other than the daily "look at me".

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.