Author Topic: Auto Killed  (Read 1185 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Auto Killed
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
 :headscratch: I just can't seem to figure out "how to avoid" getting shot down. ANYTHING I try either gets me shot down or I go into a spin and can't get out. :bhead I hope the planned BFM class coming up will help. Is there any dampening needed for the joysticks when rolling? Or is the roll rate built into the program? Roll right Roll left, even a split S, puts me into a spin. :joystick:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Auto Killed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »
:headscratch: I just can't seem to figure out "how to avoid" getting shot down. ANYTHING I try either gets me shot down or I go into a spin and can't get out. :bhead I hope the planned BFM class coming up will help. Is there any dampening needed for the joysticks when rolling? Or is the roll rate built into the program? Roll right Roll left, even a split S, puts me into a spin. :joystick:
It's personal preference....when your in the controller page click on advanced and it will pop up a dampening bar.

When you do these moves what is your air speed normally at?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
It's personal preference....when your in the controller page click on advanced and it will pop up a dampening bar.

When you do these moves what is your air speed normally at?

Well to be honest, I'm not sure what my air speed was, any of the several thousand times (just kidding). I think it is in the 220 to 250 range, but I'm not sure Junky. So the roll rate is really set up by an option selection? I suspect it is in my skills, or lack there of, that are causing the problem.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
Jimmy the learning curve in AH can be very steep.

I'm sure the upcoming BFM class will be very informative, and give you a better understanding of the maneuvers involved in aerial combat.

I also suggest that you hook up with a trainer. They will get you going in the right direction, and hopefully you will get a better understanding of how to defeat an attack.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
Just like in a real aircraft you can't just 'yank and bank' in Aces High either.

Take it easier on your stick and don't slam it around, especially on pulling it forward or back.  If you pull too hard back and the plane is too slow it will stall.  If you do it going to fast you can break off the wings or black out.

Practice offline for a bit and learn how to fly better.  It takes some time to develop the muscle memory for proper control with the stick.  Dampening may help some but it's really just experience that will get you past this.

And welcome to your new addiction!

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:40 AM »
Just like in a real aircraft you can't just 'yank and bank' in Aces High either.

Take it easier on your stick and don't slam it around, especially on pulling it forward or back.  If you pull too hard back and the plane is too slow it will stall.  If you do it going to fast you can break off the wings or black out.

Practice offline for a bit and learn how to fly better.  It takes some time to develop the muscle memory for proper control with the stick.  Dampening may help some but it's really just experience that will get you past this.

And welcome to your new addiction!

This. Also if you are using a twist type stick for rudder you might be inadvertly snap rolling. When you are banking in a turn with elevator input and you input too much rudder which ever wing the rudder input is for loses lift causing a snap roll. I.e. Banked left in a hard turn with full rudder left causes the left wing to stall and violently rolls the plane to the left.

To recover the stall (provided you have the alt) use opposite rudder (of the aircraft roll) and push forward on the stick. Hope this helps.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »

Jimmy,
I am by no means and ACE nor do I have a built in flight seat in my computer room, but here is what I tried when first starting out.  I call it "Follow the Leader".
I would get up in the air and follow someone who is real good.  What I mean by that is I would watch a particular person fly around then I would try to follow them.  I wasn't trying to shoot anything, I was just trying to follow their flight path. I would tuck in real close, maybe 600yds out and follow them.  What it taught me was how not to be so jerky with the stick, throttle control, use flaps and how to pitch and roll correctly. 

Yes you can get a trainer (alot of them are real good and helpful) and go practice, but I wanted to be in the arena and see all the planes and everyone flying around. I considered being shot down several hundred times my practice.

There are hundreds of pieces that you have to put togther in order to fly like you think you should be able to. This was just one of the pieces that helped me, so hope it helps.

Good Luck

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
Jimmy what's a good time for you to be in the training arena?  There are a few things you can practice that will help you learn to control your aircraft for max performance.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
CC Jimmy,

Let take some time in Training Arena.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
 :aokI am overwhelmed by all the offers for help and the valuable suggestions. I do spend a lot of time in the Offline area trying out different techniques and I am in the training area several times a week, as work allows me to. Now remember, I'm classified as a "Poppy" by my 6 year old grandson, so I may not be the quickest student in the class. But I will promise to TRY VERY HARD!!!!!!! As time allows I will impose on those of you who have been so kind to offer assistance, how ever I ask you to also let me know if my request is at an inopportune, we can then reschedule it more to your convenience. :rock

Is there a specific aircraft that lends itself to easier training? Or does it not make much difference? That once the skills are learned, they applicable to all aircraft.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
The spits are the easiest to learn in. Also the easiest to get kills in. The draw back is a good hit in the wing and your dead. All the planes have a trade off of one kind or another. That is one of the hurdles you will have to get over to get better. Knowing that your plane can climb better than the one chasing you, can be used to drag him up , turn around and shoot him. On the other hand if HE'S got the better climbing plane you don't really want to try that. See what I mean?

First accept the fact your going to die A LOT! It will be easier for you   :devil

Second learn the Basic maneuvers the they will be doing to class on Wed night. They WILL apply to all planes. So do the advanced maneuvers , but some planes do some better than others.

Practice the basic maneuver until you can do them with your eyes closed.

Once you can handle your plane and make it do what YOU want it to do knowing how far you can push the limits and such, THEN it will be time to learn to kill, and survive.

There are a lot of great people who will help, just ask. Good Luck, and Welcome !

Offline Peacemaker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
offline missions are always helpful :) at leastfor me... i still suck lol

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
Jimmy pretty much what Fugitive said. The only things I would add would be a couple of web sites.

You might want to check out the trainers site:  http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Netaces has some good info as well:  http://www.netaces.org/

Starting out I would recommend a spit 8, once you get the hang of maneuvering, gunnery, and SA, then fly everything in the hanger, until you find your favorites.

If you see me in the TA hit me up and I'll help you as much as I can.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
Do yourself a favor and don't fly Spits. Pick a plane and stick with it.

Flying spits is just going to reduce your ability to perform in other planes or make the transition to another one harder than it should if you happen to get too used to Spits.

Once you master a plane, and decide to jump into a Spit, you'll feel like a god. Doing maneuvers you couldn't do in other planes.

That's just my opinion, if you love Spits a lot, then fly them, just be warned that you might take a longer time to learn other planes once you do.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »

Flying spits is just going to reduce your ability to perform in other planes or make the transition to another one harder than it should if you happen to get too used to Spits.

Nonsense. There is a juvenile prejudice against Spitfires but there is no actual reason to avoid them. It's an excellent choice for a new player.