Author Topic: I'm getting Brave.  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: I'm getting Brave.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »
No, it is not a good product.  Rosewill uses the cheapest capacitors they can.  They even use old analog square wave filters for the switching duty, which drift with the temperature of the supply.

It has been a while since I have seen power that dirty, coming from a switching power supply.

You get what you pay for in power supplies.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
Done & running. Great performance 10 years warranty on the PSU...I know, I hear you... :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
No, it is not a good product.  Rosewill uses the cheapest capacitors they can.  They even use old analog square wave filters for the switching duty, which drift with the temperature of the supply.

It has been a while since I have seen power that dirty, coming from a switching power supply.

You get what you pay for in power supplies.

With ham radios if the switching power supply is having issues, it's obvious w/ noise and power fluctuations and transmitting problems, I suppose by the time I see anything going wrong...POOF!  :uhoh
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
Is PC Power & Cooling still making good power supplies? I know they shut down operations a few years ago and then they seemed to resurface.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
Is PC Power & Cooling still making good power supplies? I know they shut down operations a few years ago and then they seemed to resurface.

OCZ bought them, but they ARE NOT the same quality.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »
Bummer! Got one of the last few made by the original company. Great power supply.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »
Original PC Power & Cooling supplies were probably the best power supplies ever produced for the PC.  OCZ bought them and then killed them.

High end Seasonic supplies are good supplies.  Well made with excellent components.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
what about thermaltake? that is what i use right now, dont know much about PSUs
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
what about thermaltake? that is what i use right now, dont know much about PSUs

High end Thermaltake supplies are made by Seasonic.  It is funny.  If you scrape the paint off of Corsair and Thermaltake supplies you cannot tell the difference.  Even the PCB has the same nomenclature.  Seasonic makes both.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:57:11 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »

Here's an article over at Tom's Hardware that includes a chart where you can find out who OEM'd your PSU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »
My only concern is the Rosewill power supply.  I've had too many issues with power supplies to buy anything that wasn't made by Seasonic.  I've used Seasonic built power supplies in about 15 systems I've used or built for other people and have never once had a problem with them.  I've also fixed several systems that were behaving "flaky" by installing a Seasonic power supply.  My G/F's system would randomly crash and give her a BSOD.  I replaced her 650 Watt generic power supply with a 620 Watt Corsair (made by Seasonic) and it's been trouble free ever since!

Spend a few bucks more as this is the lifeline of your system.

Keep in mind that many power supplies of different brands are made by Seasonic.. it doesn't necessarily have to be a Seasonic branded power supply.

There's a nice article linked below that describes the different brands and who really makes their different models:

You mean the same article I linked to above?  ;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
Here's an article over at Tom's Hardware that includes a chart where you can find out who OEM'd your PSU:

Careful.  That article is over a year old and in the world of power supplies that can be a lifetime. OEM suppliers can change monthly.  The low end companies, such as Rosewill, will bid out the power supply build once a quarter.  Whoever is cheaper, wins.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »
Careful.  That article is over a year old and in the world of power supplies that can be a lifetime. OEM suppliers can change monthly.  The low end companies, such as Rosewill, will bid out the power supply build once a quarter.  Whoever is cheaper, wins.

That may be true but usually this comes in the form of a different model number (or designation).  That article also explains how to look things up by their UL number.

Yes it may not be perfect and because of its age it may not be 100% accurate but it's in my opinion one of the best articles to refer to for researching this sort of thing.  The only other option is really to take the unit apart and compare components yourself.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
Yes it may not be perfect and because of its age it may not be 100% accurate but it's in my opinion one of the best articles to refer to for researching this sort of thing.  The only other option is really to take the unit apart and compare components yourself.

When I get a new supply out of the box, I rip it open to check the quality.  I could care less about the warranty.  When most things in a computre fail they seldom take the entire computer with it.  Power supplies, on the other hand, usually take some other major component with them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

Who makes the best power supplies today?
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi