Author Topic: Trinity map  (Read 2572 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Trinity map
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »
players settle for the camp.

but what is truly irresistable is being in the middle of a huge war.

being in a massive battle changes the players mentality on what risks they are willing to take. the camper takes no risks. the player in the middle of a massive battle is willing to risk being bombed or knocked out by an enemy tank or plane just to fight in that battle when it is elevated to such a level that all this stuff can be happening without the player feeling outnumbered or overwhelmed on either side.

the balance is easily tipped in either direction but by setting up bases or maps in a certain way it is possible to instigate such cataclysmic total war battles that are more common.

I hope your right, you just don't see it much any more. As soon as a battle starts to heat up and a few bombs get dropped there are the cries of "bomb****" or "here comes the fun police!". The game is all about score, not battles.

It certainly would be refreshing to see people fight it out instead of avoiding combat at the drop of a hat. Good luck !

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
I like the Trinity map, thank you.

OK. Why?  :salute

Giant mountains double and tripple flight time to the action. Since no one wants to fly that that far, everyone piles into the two closest airbases creating an instant, and constant horde in a couple of locations on the map. The vast majority of the map is unaccessible. It's why the map stays up until it's reset. You can barely capture a base, let alone win it.  Out of boardem, many will try GV-ing (why Butcher likes it?). But with so far to fly, air cover over a GV spawn in nearly impossible. So it's a bombadier field day as countless B5Ns, Lancs, and you name it, drop endless bombs on defenseless tanks trying to find GV fights.

Lousy aircombat map + lousy Gv map = Lousy map.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:56:37 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
OK. Why?  :salute )Because it is different, yes harder, not neccessarily better, but I play alot and I like the change)

Giant mountains double and tripple flight time to the action. Since no one wants to fly that that far, (I do, my wingman Wiley does, and alot more folks also fly high.  I see them all the time.  I prefer that the fight starts high.  It's different, its easy to find a low fight on any map.  I don't mind fighting on the deck, I'd just rather not start there)everyone piles into the two closest airbases creating an instant, and constant horde in a couple of locations on the map. The vast majority of the map is unaccessible. It's why the map stays up until it's reset. You can barely capture a base, let alone win it.(Admittedly, I seldom pay much attention to whom is winning what base or whom is winning the map.  The only time I care is when I too am bored because it has been the same map for a long time)  Out of boardem, many will try GV-ing (why Butcher likes it?). But with so far to fly, air cover over a GV spawn in nearly impossible. So it's a bombadier field day as countless B5Ns, Lancs, and you name it, drop endless bombs on defenseless tanks trying to find GV fights.

Lousy aircombat map + lousy Gv map = Lousy map.

And sir,  :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Actually, to be totally honest, I'm an alt monkey anyway so high mountains are still below me.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
Put another way, but building on what Zoney said, I guess it causes people to fight a little more like we do.

As he said, we're a pair of unrepentant altmonkeys.  I'm a little less patient than he is, I often head for the fight at 15-20k, he generally doesn't turn toward the enemy til he's 20+.

On Trinity, it feels like it more than doubles the chances I'll see bandits above 15k.  There's often even enough of them that they'll engage me instead of diving out.

Most other maps, people are down in the weeds way more often because they have no reason to fly higher.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Put another way, but building on what Zoney said, I guess it causes people to fight a little more like we do.

As he said, we're a pair of unrepentant altmonkeys.  I'm a little less patient than he is, I often head for the fight at 15-20k, he generally doesn't turn toward the enemy til he's 20+.

On Trinity, it feels like it more than doubles the chances I'll see bandits above 15k.  There's often even enough of them that they'll engage me instead of diving out.

Most other maps, people are down in the weeds way more often because they have no reason to fly higher.

Wiley.

I understand where you're coming from, but the alt monkey game bores me to tears.  I would much rather defend a base from a CV a little bit off shore.  The fights are low and brutal.  It takes almost no time to go from wheels up to into the fight.

Climbing out for 15 to 20 minutes isn't a good use of my entertainment time, in my opinion.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
I understand where you're coming from, but the alt monkey game bores me to tears.  I would much rather defend a base from a CV a little bit off shore.  The fights are low and brutal.  It takes almost no time to go from wheels up to into the fight.

Climbing out for 15 to 20 minutes isn't a good use of my entertainment time, in my opinion.

I've been learning the 109K.  My climbout time is down to about 5 minutes lately. ;)

Incidentally, I was just stating why I like it somewhat.  I'm not terribly fond of 'forcing' people into different playstyles just on general principles.

Honestly, what map we're on means very little to me most of the time.  It just seems like I get to spend more time buff hunting and killing high fighters on Trinity than some others.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
Is it still up this afternoon?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
Is it still up this afternoon?

Yes.  ::bleh::

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
*gets on his knees*

Maybe, before whomever goes home for the day.... maybe... please?

Seriously, anyone have a guess as to about how much time is left before it auto rotates?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:56:08 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Now I'm just swagging here, because I have no real data, but I'm going to venture that Trinity is up as much as the other maps combined. Often complaining will get it switched, then we blow through the other maps one or two days per, and were are right back to Trinity for a 1 or week or more. Uteris and Grinder (and the one that looks like Utah) are won in a half a day sometimes. But I really like those maps (especially Grinder).

I could curb my dislike for Trinity and respect it's place in the rotation if it was limited to two days max, after which it would be a forced rotation to the next map.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »
Trinity has been boring all week.  :bhead
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
Trinity is better than the next map-the next map has the uncapturable ports in the center.Well maybe some people like it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
s the uncapturable ports in the center.

I think this was a splendid idea for gameplay.  CV's attacking land bases create combat. Constantly hidden CV's do not.  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
I don't like trinity because it seems to encourage high alt hordes instead of fights. As a jug geek (a plane that accels at alt) you'd think I would love it, but mostly, I get tired of being stuck on the same map for weeks.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.