Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12052 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #345 on: April 13, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
for some reason I'm reminded of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KHMO14KuJk ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »
Waiting for the newest paragraph to sprout from his backside?

Cornhole Gazette  :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
You don't have to ... You may never consciously KNOW, but that supercomputer in your head is constantly gathering and analysing data at phenomenal rates of speed ... and, if you let it, it's making decisions and implementing them much faster than you can ever follow ... Your eyes and brain can definitely develop a sense of the amount of time lag occurring based on reactions to your own actions ... and if you play the game frequently your brain will develop it's own system of compensation ... while there is still some random factor in the displacement, your brain knows a LOT more about it than you are aware of.
:cool:
That is nothing but touchy feely sounding gibberish.  Tell me, if, based on his reaction delay, you determine the communication delay is .153 seconds, what is the margin of error with a closure rate of 342mph, now it is 267mph, now it is 81mph, now it is -102mph.  What are the distances in each of those.  No using paper, you need to come up with the answer and know it within 0.01 seconds or the information is out dated.

Got anymore fantasyland solutions to sell?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #348 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »
for some reason I'm reminded of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KHMO14KuJk ...

How remarkably similar to this thread  :lol
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »
I had a new way of viewing this question in very simple terms. They may seem obvious but they do get down to why these threads pop up all the time.

1. Most people think when they collide with a plane , the other plane should be damaged just like in the real world.
2. Most people believe when they do not collide with a plane that their plane should not be damaged just like in the real world.

Until a person understand the inherent problems with communication lag , the person can not understand why those 2 desires are in conflict. This is not an easy idea to rap your head around ,thinking in multiple time displaced realities is not something that comes easy to most people.

For almost all of us, we believe that desire #2 out ways desire #1.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
You don't have to ... You may never consciously KNOW, but that supercomputer in your head is constantly gathering and analysing data at phenomenal rates of speed ... and, if you let it, it's making decisions and implementing them much faster than you can ever follow ... Your eyes and brain can definitely develop a sense of the amount of time lag occurring based on reactions to your own actions ... and if you play the game frequently your brain will develop it's own system of compensation ... while there is still some random factor in the displacement, your brain knows a LOT more about it than you are aware of.
:cool:

Or, you know...  You could just rely on what's on your screen being accurate as far as your plane is concerned like it does now.  Then you wouldn't have to do any of that... whatever that is.

Thanks for the laugh, EVZ.  I needed that today.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
1. Most people think when they collide with a plane , the other plane should be damaged just like in the real world.
2. Most people believe when they do not collide with a plane that their plane should not be damaged just like in the real world.

Until a person understand the inherent problems with communication lag , the person can not understand why those 2 desires are in conflict. This is not an easy idea to rap your head around ,thinking in multiple time displaced realities is not something that comes easy to most people.

this covers it nicely.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:07:07 PM by hitech »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:11:34 PM by hitech »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:11:41 PM by hitech »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:12:57 PM by hitech »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:13:16 PM by hitech »

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
I had a new way of viewing this question in very simple terms. They may seem obvious but they do get down to why these threads pop up all the time.

Until a person understand the inherent problems with communication lag , the person can not understand why those 2 desires are in conflict. This is not an easy idea to rap your head around
Astute  ...

thinking in multiple time displaced realities is not something that comes easy to most people.
which is part of the basis for the estimate I made that 90% of the players DO NOT understand the collision model ...

-US- being the maybe 10% who DO understand? Seems hard for those who DON'T to have a definite opinion ... since they are unaware of the conflict.
:salute
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
Another point for consideration is - This (#2) is a NON-EVENT. People generally DO NOT think about what DIDN'T happen ... In the midst of a furball, they're not thinking ... WOW thank god I avoided a collision ... They're trying to achieve a gun solution, or running for their life in most cases. The FOCUS of attention takes place when there -IS- a collision ... not when nothing happens.
:)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
That is nothing but touchy feely sounding gibberish.
Touchy Feely ... yes! exactly !!! Gibberish, no ... Hundreds of Millions of $$$ worth of research spent on the brain and how it functions every year for the last 40 years or so ...

Tell me, if, based on his reaction delay, you determine the communication delay is .153 seconds, what is the margin of error with a closure rate of 342mph, now it is 267mph, now it is 81mph, now it is -102mph. What are the distances in each of those. No using paper, you need to come up with the answer and know it within 0.01 seconds or the information is out dated.
The Brain doesn't measure time and space conventionally, it makes comparisons to data in memory, measurements are relative and exceptionally accurate. And it updates itself a hell of a lot faster than the computers playing AH do.

Got anymore fantasyland solutions to sell?
A study of AH players in game might be interesting research ... Maybe a Grant Proposal ...? Nah, I'd never find a batch of AH Players who could qualify as NORMAL ...
:eek: