Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12174 times)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
It is simply not possible to know the net communication delay between you and the other guy.
Not precisely, but it can be approximated (ask Skuzzy) ... AND it's not really necessary to KNOW that ... Collisions (on both ends) aren't HARD to avoid when you REALLY WANT TO.
:banana:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »
if you avoid on your system.....YOU were not involved in a collision,
Your Screen says you were ...
;)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Nothing random about -if you crash him, you will die- :lol
It will appear to be random to most players as they will die to collisions that they were never closer than 250ft from the guy they "collided" with.

Not precisely, but it can be approximated (ask Skuzzy) ... AND it's not really necessary to KNOW that ... Collisions (on both ends) aren't HARD to avoid when you REALLY WANT TO.
:banana:
Your idea on how it should be would encourage people to collide intentionally.  You think it would reduce it, but it would massively increase the number of collision deaths.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
Nothing random about -if you crash him, you will die- :lol

Don't make the mistake of thinking the general population at AH is represented here ... There are a LOT of players UNHAPPY with the collision model,

Sure there are.  A lot of people want things to be magically perfect.  Due to the laws of physics, the options are the current way, the way you want it, or a way that effectively means collisions are turned off.

Ok... Once more, for the cheap seats...  The filled in images are what is seen from the P47's point of view.  Notice the P51 about 3 plane lengths back.  The 'ghost' image is the P51's point of view, where it collides with the P47.

If you were in this P47 under your system, you would die.  Under the current system, you live, because the collision did not occur on your end.

Explain again why the way you want it is preferable?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
It would work 100% the opposite, the thought process would be, If I break off and he does not,he will maybe kill me with his guns , I die, he may collide with me, I die. If I don't break off, I may kill him with my guns, I win, If i collide with him, we both die and at least he does not win.
Obviously, I disagree ... This might be Mr. Spock's thought process, or a computers decision ... But humans have this little gut monkey that's REALLY nervous and starts screaming -YOU WILL DIE - YOU WILL DIE- and just won't shut up ... (even in a computer game). We all (mentally healthy anyway) try and keep that monkey QUIET.

I.E. Not breaking off on the merge will win you more fights. (AND add more deaths to your score, cost you perk points? put you back in the tower).
Please note : I said early on that the present collision model was REASONABLE and I DO understand why it was adopted ... But it isn't popular, and the idea that BOTH PLANES Crash -is- the general perception of the result of a mid-air.
:cool:

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »

Your hosted image is  ???? kind of weird since it seems to show (maybe it's the angle?) lateral displacement and to be IN FRONT of the original rather than time displaced behind it. (Questionable?Bogus?Faked?).
;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:59:21 PM by EVZ »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Your hosted image is  ???? kind of weird since it seems to show (maybe it's the angle?) lateral displacement and to be IN FRONT of the original rather than time displaced behind it. (Questionable?Bogus?Faked?).
;)

that shows the placement of the planes overlaid one another on BOTH ends.... one there was a collision one there was not...both planes should not go down or get damage when only one collide

due to lag your positioning is not necessarily gonna be exactly "Behind"  could be in any direction

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »

Your hosted image is  ???? kind of weird since it seems to show (maybe it's the angle?) lateral displacement and to be IN FRONT of the original rather than time displaced behind it. (Questionable?Bogus?Faked?).
;)

It's not fake. It's just two different clips of the SAME collision. It's the two films of each pilot superimposed upon each other witht he P-47's (remember, there are two, the "original" /P-47 pilot's film and the "ghost Jug", which is what the pony driver actually sees). I was one of the two pilots and I chose to put them together in this way to demonstrate the huge difference between the players front ends.
The P-51 pilot tried to ram the Jug and - on HIS side - was successful. However, in the jug pilot's world, the pony was still far away and never even touched the P-47.

The pictures I frequently used in threads like this came from the very same event:

Both pics show the very same moment (note the "Lusche(P-51) has collided with you" on the lower picture, taken from the Jug pilot's film).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:17:24 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »

;)

The displacement is not just along the path you see the plane take on your FE.  There is some side displacement as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
Evz's point seems to be that the non-existent problem of deliberate offensive survivable collisions would be less feasible under his system and in his opinion this would more than make up for all the new unavoidable collisions that would ruin dogfighting.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
If it wasn't for the four hundred some posts, I would think this guy is trolling.  Either way, it has been explained to death in this thread how the collision system works, why it is set up the way it is, why it is vastly superior to the method that EVZ suggests, and that it will never change.  /thread?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
It's not fake. It's just two different clips of the SAME collision.
Ok ... not accusing you of anything ... It's not perfect, but is illustrative. As for it's implications ... ? Please see message 31.
:angel:

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

:old:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
Grizz its been thouroughly explained in this thread and at least two others that I'm aware of.