Author Topic: X45 - may it rest in pieces  (Read 423 times)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
X45 - may it rest in pieces
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
The other night I was flying along in a 262 about to intercept a couple of hapless goons, I reach to back off the throttle as I speed in and SNAP!  :joystick:  The X45 throttle assembly I have been using for years comes off in my hand.  Considering the amount of gorilla glue, splints, and screws I had installed trying to salvage it several years ago, I wasn't all that surprised... but did it have to be while I was in a 262?  :furious

Since my X45 throttle was also my rudder, I'm actually looking at two new purchases.  Even though I've never used anything like them before, I'm leaning toward the CH USB rudder pedals over Saitek.  I have a CH Combatstick and have had zero issues, can't say the same for some Saitek equipment I've owned. 

My question for the board... what throttle would you go with considering I spend the majority of my time in P38s and/or bombers?  I see my obvious choices as being the CH Pro Throttle or the CH Throttle Quadrant.  I tend do a lot of throttle manipulation while fighting which seems to lend itself to a throttle I can rest my hand on (ie. Pro Throttle).  However, I'm torn by the thought of being able to control my engines independently as well (ie. Quadrant). 

Thoughts please?  :pray
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: X45 - may it rest in pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
My only thought is that have a separate throttle functionally requires Trak IR. A squadie sent me his old stand alone throttle. To make use of that, which includes HOTAS, I would have to find another way to change views. I know many use their hat-switch, I still use the keyboard to change views. Very impractible to move hand between keypad and throttle.

Just my two cents.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: X45 - may it rest in pieces (Quadrant vs Pro)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
My only thought is that have a separate throttle functionally requires Trak IR. A squadie sent me his old stand alone throttle. To make use of that, which includes HOTAS, I would have to find another way to change views. I know many use their hat-switch, I still use the keyboard to change views. Very impractible to move hand between keypad and throttle.

Just my two cents.

Boo

I think I understand what you are saying Boo.  However, I'm currently only using the hat switch on the CH joystick for my views anyway so I would not really lose anything going to the Quadrant.  My thoughts for the Quadrant system would be to assign throttle, RPM, and trim to the levers (I've never ventured out of "combat trim" mode) but then I just think of my hand trying to rest on that set up and I question how long it would last.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
Alpo the best rudders I have used in a retail box setup have been the Saitek Combat Pedals.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
I use the CH pro throttle. I also enjoy flying the 38. Delirium built a dual throttle hoping to work his engines separate. I think he said about the only thing he could do better was a hammerhead type reversal when real slow. Other than that the single throttle works just as well.

I like my CH pro throttle. I do rest my hand on it while flying, and with the extra buttons about the only reason I have to take my hand off is to take another gulp of my beer  :D

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Alpo the best rudders I have used in a retail box setup have been the Saitek Combat Pedals.

:uhoh   I hadn't seen those before, only the little Saitek pedals at the local Fry's.  Luckily, my wife has already given the green light for whatever it takes to get me out of the living room at night  :x

I use the CH pro throttle. I also enjoy flying the 38. Delirium built a dual throttle hoping to work his engines separate. I think he said about the only thing he could do better was a hammerhead type reversal when real slow. Other than that the single throttle works just as well.

I like my CH pro throttle. I do rest my hand on it while flying, and with the extra buttons about the only reason I have to take my hand off is to take another gulp of my beer  :D

Dang, I really thought there would be more benefit than that.

Thanks for the input!