Author Topic: F18 crashes into building  (Read 1882 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: F18 crashes into building
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »
 :rock
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
You save your own self.

If you save people on the ground a grisly event, then that's a bonus.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
And I think you're pretty rad too.

Quick, someone be mean, we're dangerously close to busting out into kumbaya here.

You are a meanie.  NO I'm sorry!

Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
I really can't believe the pilot did that. As a pilot its our job to make sure you dont hurt anyone on the ground

Big talk from someone who wasn't in the aircraft and has no idea what happened or why.  It's a bit early to start pointing fingers.  Shame on you.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
If I had options that could save myself, but put others at risk, or an option that would minimize risk to others but most likely mean the end of me, I would choose the latter.

Yeah right.  Have you ever been in that kind of situation?  If not you're just banging your gums together and making senseless noise.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
Big talk from someone who wasn't in the aircraft and has no idea what happened or why.  It's a bit early to start pointing fingers.  Shame on you.

Read on
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

How many hours do you have?
 A lot more than you.

Have you ever landed a plane,
 A lot more than you.

have you ever declared an emergency?
 A lot more than you

Tupac, you're digging a real deep hole here.  Truth is you are very inexperienced.

Columbo

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »
Yeah right.  Have you ever been in that kind of situation?  If not you're just banging your gums together and making senseless noise.

Like I said, when the cockpit of the 210 started smoking up my first thought was for people on the ground. Now, I was over mostly farmland so if the engine had quit I would have been able to land.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
 A lot more than you.
  A lot more than you.
  A lot more than you

Tupac, you're digging a real deep hole here.  Truth is you are very inexperienced.

Read on.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »
You save your own self.

If you save people on the ground a grisly event, then that's a bonus.

Chuck Yeager said that same thing.  No such thing as "saving the school kids", the pilot is doing his best to save himself which in most cases also protects those on the ground.
Columbo

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I really can't believe the pilot did that. As a pilot its our job to make sure you dont hurt anyone on the ground - You accepted the risk the moment you stepped in that airplane, but everyone you are flying over did not. It's inexcusable - just like miramar.

Do you like your crow medium or well done?

Think before you open your mouth. THIS is exactly the kind of BS you don't need to be spouting.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
Do you like your crow medium or well done?

Think before you open your mouth. THIS is exactly the kind of BS you don't need to be spouting.
Golfer would have aimed it for my house I know it deep down.....<G>

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
Like I said, when the cockpit of the 210 started smoking up my first thought was for people on the ground. Now, I was over mostly farmland so if the engine had quit I would have been able to land.

This chart should mean something to you someday.

And BS. Your first thought wasn't of the people on the ground. Your 14th thought wasn't even of the people on the ground.

If, and it's a big freaking if, the failure occurred as you say it did you wound up very lucky in a situation you would have been able to get ahead of with more than a quick "here's the gear handle" checkout.

Still that's one abnormality in your whole 400 hours of experience. In single engine light airplanes. You haven't even begin to scare yourself, ace.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
Golfer would have aimed it for my house I know it deep down.....<G>

Only because I'd be able to find booze and sheep close by.  :)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
Update at 1:49 p.m. ET: Former Navy SEAL Patrick McAleenan was a block away when the plane crashed and says the sound was unmistakable and that the walls of his home shook, Navy Times reports.

He tells Navy Times' Joshua Stewart that the pilots ejected at the last possible second in an apparent effort to make sure that the plane would not crash into a nearby school.

"One of them, literally, his parachute hung on a balcony. The people on the ground were dragging him to safety," he says.

Tupac,

These guys got out of the airplane low enough yet didn't separate from their seats. If you dont realize it, thats really freaking low and late. Oceana has nowhere to go if you're not high enough to make the beach if you're departing northeast and the only thing there is to do is see where you're going to end up.

The pilots apologized to the residents and once clear of any life threatening injuries their thoughts turned to those on the ground. In a daze, apologizing and being cared for by the very residents who this far have come out without any fatal injuries.