Author Topic: F18 crashes into building  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: F18 crashes into building
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
Someone on another forum posted this picture

(Image removed from quote.)

and said
and then went on to say that (and Im paraphrasing here) If he had just taken off and was at a steep angle low to the ground, its possible he stalled and spun which would mean as low to the ground as he was he had no way to control the plane. OEI isnt bueno for spin recovery.

I jumped to conclusions and made myself look like an ass. Happy everyone? I'm going to stop digging now.
and I apologize for what I said. It was hurtful and uncalled for. I woke up with a gnarly headache today (I'm allergic to 2 things, Cedar and Oak pollen. Oak is really really high) and has made me grumbly and irritable. I lose the filter between my brain and mouth (or brain and fingers in this case)

Some of you seem to have missed these posts....  Granted he could've gone about it better.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Pictures of the tail (a horrible guage for true size) kinda looks like a large F (super), but all I've read so far cite it was an older D.

About adding speculations to the speculating - the rear nozzles are hydrolicly/actuated controlled I believe, could of been a hydrolic problem (amongst bigger issues), also they're rather easily manipulated by outside factors... a fancy way of saying they're more flimbsy and movable than you first might assume.  Also, and another honest assumption I'm making from observation, having watched and walked a couple feet from an acutal F-18 pilot doing his pre-flight....  99.99% of the time, people who "know", is a fancy term for "good guess".

I gon dun now one ting fur sure - a crash that hard would do a little more than rearange a couple Navy pilot's "nozzles", if chya now wut I meen.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:58:48 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This chart should mean something to you someday.

And BS. Your first thought wasn't of the people on the ground. Your 14th thought wasn't even of the people on the ground.

If, and it's a big freaking if, the failure occurred as you say it did you wound up very lucky in a situation you would have been able to get ahead of with more than a quick "here's the gear handle" checkout.

Still that's one abnormality in your whole 400 hours of experience. In single engine light airplanes. You haven't even begin to scare yourself, ace.

If you knew me in real life you would know I'm not a liar. I've scared myself plenty of times in a damn airplane, and you aren't in a position to judge as you have never flown with me or even know secondhand anyone who has flown with me. I've offered to go for a $100 hamburger next time you're in town, and I got no reply. If I posted everytime I scared myself in an airplane id be posting ALOT more. You said the same things when I was a student pilot as you are saying now. When will I be worthy O master of all things skybound?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
But go ahead and keep judging my flying ability that you know NOTHING ABOUT. I'd be happy to give you multiple references of people who HAVE flown with me, and do have a clue about what I know and don't know. Join PoA and send Jesse a message. I've got more time with him than any other instructor (either 100 hours or darn close)
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
If I had options that could save myself, but put others at risk, or an option that would minimize risk to others but most likely mean the end of me, I would choose the latter.
was watching a video of a man who claimed he had fuel dumped on his vehicle. last i knew jet fuel is HIGHLY volatle... less fuel that burns means less people getting harmed. not just civilians, but firemen ems and police on scene. also, the pilot managed to hit one building, and he could have hit any amount, pretty good if i do say so myself.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
was watching a video of a man who claimed he had fuel dumped on his vehicle. last i knew jet fuel is HIGHLY volatle... less fuel that burns means less people getting harmed. not just civilians, but firemen ems and police on scene. also, the pilot managed to hit one building, and he could have hit any amount, pretty good if i do say so myself.

I agree, however if Jet A is anything like 100LL it evaporates very quickly and there is no more risk of fire

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
I agree, however if Jet A is anything like 100LL it evaporates very quickly and there is no more risk of fire

It isn't anything like 100LL.  It's Kerosene. More like Diesel fuel.

You're proving my point by the way about opening your mouth when you shouldn't. I've never said a word about your flying ability. What I do question is what's between your ears.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
If there was something wrong with what was between my ears I would already be dead.

You can ask Jesse about that too. I stayed with him and his girlfriend while I was getting my IR.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:17:11 PM by Tupac »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 08:14:51 PM »
was watching a video of a man who claimed he had fuel dumped on his vehicle. last i knew jet fuel is HIGHLY volatle...

Jet A/kerosene/diesel is actually much less volatile then 100LL or even mogas.  Which is why it works a lot better for high altitude flight.  I don't remember the exact RVP numbers but it is pretty big difference.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
You said the same things when I was a student pilot as you are saying now.

Why do you think that might be?  Keep in mind I don't know you personally and my only exposure is how you conduct yourself and the things you say here.

I never called you a liar. I'm saying you very likely didn't recognize something you should have due to deficiencies in training, systems knowledge and minimal experience. I think testament to your flying ability (and good fortune) is you wound up safe. If you still haven't gone back to think about how fortunate you are to have had any fluid at all after your o ring blew (and ability to lower the gear) that's your business. I'd suggest now as I did then go review your actions and debrief with your checkout instructor that nights events. If all you're getting is "good job" then they're doing you a disservice. Now that it's over, it's time to learn to do better. Objectively and without taking critique personally like you have a pattern of doing.

And I've been to San Antonio 2 times in 4 years. I'm not in the neighborhood to drop you a line.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
If there was something wrong with what was between my ears I would already be dead.

I'm going to make you a scrapbook and send it to you in 10 years. You'll be ashamed of yourself.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:21:47 PM by Golfer »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
Says our heroic 400 hour teenage wonder kid.

I'm going to make you a scrapbook and send it to you in 10 years. You'll be ashamed of yourself.

I've got 20 hours in actual without an autopilot. 12 of those solo - Ive flown all over middle part of the country and just recently got back from flying myself to Florida. (9.5 hours there and 9.2 back) Beleive me, I have had more than 1 opportunity to kill myself. I've only ever been in a bad situation weather wise once, and that was partly due to a bad weather briefing and not having any sort of onboard weather. That even turned out to be a non-event because I just landed at the closest airport and waited it out. I need to learn when to shut my mouth, but my 400 hours aren't in the pattern. Most of them are cross country, some in marginal weather. My decision making skills have prevented me from getting in too much trouble.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
I've got 20 hours in actual without an autopilot. 12 of those solo - Ive flown all over middle part of the country and just recently got back from flying myself to Florida. (9.5 hours there and 9.2 back) Beleive me, I have had more than 1 opportunity to kill myself. I've only ever been in a bad situation weather wise once, and that was partly due to a bad weather briefing and not having any sort of onboard weather. That even turned out to be a non-event because I just landed at the closest airport and waited it out. I need to learn when to shut my mouth, but my 400 hours aren't in the pattern. Most of them are cross country, some in marginal weather. My decision making skills have prevented me from getting in too much trouble.

That's going in the scrapbook too.

Complacency is with you like the Force is with Luke Skywalker. Strong.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
That's going in the scrapbook too.

Complacency is with you like the Force is with Luke Skywalker. Strong.

You're the only person I've ever talked with who says I'm complacent.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
I guess you aren't on jetcareers, I was on there last night talking about a CFI and his technique that he teaches students after an engine failure. I felt as if it encouraged complacency and too much reliance on the parachute. (it wa a Cirrus)