Author Topic: F18 crashes into building  (Read 1887 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: F18 crashes into building
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
Foxnews typically concentrates more on hysteria than the facts.  

That certainly makes sense.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
That certainly makes sense.

All of the major news networks are like this.  All about the ratings, baby!
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »

About a zillion years ago I witnessed a Cub on floats spin and crash after takeoff.  Pilot died in the post crash fire.  I was first on scene, helped put the fire out and recover the body then did the paperwork.

Later that evening the local newspaper reporter called and wanted to interview me.  I told her I'd be happy to talk to her but policy required that she get permission from the Chief before we did an interview.  She replied with "But you saw the plane crash didn't you?" to which I replied yes and again said the Chief would have to give his blessing before we talked more.

The next day in the paper is an interview with Officer Me and they quoted me saying something like "Yeah, I saw him going down, knew he was going in."  All that from a simple "yes".  I despise and do not trust the media. (But my feelings are not based on that single incident)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »

correct. their job is no longer to report actual news.....but rather keep people interested in the show, regardless of what they need to do.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
If I had options that could save myself, but put others at risk, or an option that would minimize risk to others but most likely mean the end of me, I would choose the latter.

That's a very easy thing to say and very different thing to do, especially if you have a family :)

Single people need not apply to the discussion.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
That's a very easy thing to say and very different thing to do, especially if you have a family :)

Single people need not apply to the discussion.

so me being single, and being of the frame of mind that i'd like to save my arse doesn't count?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »
ok...here's a map showing the crash site in relationship to the runways.....

now i don't know the scale on this map, so i don't know the distance......but this happened straight off the end of the runway. i've always thought it pretty stupid to build anything within a few miles of ANY runway(on the runway heading), much less a military or commercial runway.

honestly, with homes built close like this(we've got em within a half mile at south jersey regional, and the flying w), it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »
Later that evening the local newspaper reporter called and wanted to interview me.  I told her I'd be happy to talk to her but policy required that she get permission from the Chief before we did an interview.  She replied with "But you saw the plane crash didn't you?" to which I replied yes and again said the Chief would have to give his blessing before we talked more.

The next day in the paper is an interview with Officer Me and they quoted me saying something like "Yeah, I saw him going down, knew he was going in."  All that from a simple "yes".  I despise and do not trust the media. (But my feelings are not based on that single incident)

I remember my father telling me a similar story of when he was growing up in Agawam, Mass. He would hang out at the airport on a regular basis as planes always interested him. One day, he noticed a plane coming in which was noticeably too low. The aircraft ended up smashing into the ground, killing all three on board (Man, woman, and their child). The aircraft bursted into flames, and he witnessed the woman crawling out of the wreck, on fire. She died before anyone could reach her. The local newspaper approached him, and asked for an interview, which he declined. Same as your story, they ended up quoting him for saying something that he never did.

It was later determined (IIRC) that the family was flying back from a party in New York, where the father/pilot had consumed alcohol and was flying under the influence.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »

I remember my father telling me a similar story of when he was growing up in Agawam, Mass. He would hang out at the airport on a regular basis as planes always interested him. One day, he noticed a plane coming in which was noticeably too low. The aircraft ended up smashing into the ground, killing all three on board (Man, woman, and their child). The aircraft bursted into flames, and he witnessed the woman crawling out of the wreck, on fire. She died before anyone could reach her. The local newspaper approached him, and asked for an interview, which he declined. Same as your story, they ended up quoting him for saying something that he never did.

It was later determined (IIRC) that the family was flying back from a party in New York, where the father/pilot had consumed alcohol and was flying under the influence.

your story...and colombos.....that's why within cap, we talk to no one outside of cap. if anyone at all approaches any of us, asking questions....we direct them to the incident commander, who will then direct them to the appropriate contact.
 literally, all we say is that we cannot answer, please go see "col. smith.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »
your story...and colombos.....that's why within cap, we talk to no one outside of cap. if anyone at all approaches any of us, asking questions....we direct them to the incident commander, who will then direct them to the appropriate contact.
 literally, all we say is that we cannot answer, please go see "col. smith.

A good policy no doubt.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
remember that F-22 crash in Alaska last year and how everyone was screaming that it's oxygen system does not work, well when the report finally came out it said nothing about it's oxygen system as that was not the cause.

http://www.adn.com/2012/04/30/2446289/some-pilots-seek-to-avoid-flying.html

F-22's oxygen-deficit concerns lead pilots to seek other jobs

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/04/30/2446289/some-pilots-seek-to-avoid-flying.html#storylink=cpy

HAMPTON, Va. -- Some of the nation's 200 F-22 Raptor pilots want to be moved into other jobs because of oxygen-deficit problems with the stealth fighter, an Air Force leader said Monday.

Gen. Mike Hostage, commander of Air Combat Command at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton, Va., told reporters that a "very small" number of pilots have asked not to fly the fifth-generation fighter jets or to be reassigned.

"Obviously it's a very sensitive thing because we are trying to ensure that the community fully understands all that we're doing to try to get to a solution," Hostage said.

He did not provide exact figures on the number of pilots who have asked to not fly the jets and said each pilot's request would be handled individually.

Air Force officials believe the airplane is safe to fly -- Hostage noted that he'll fly soon because he won't ask a pilot to do something that he will not.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm going to check out and fly the airplane so I can understand exactly what it is they're dealing with. The day we figure out what the problem is I will stop flying (the plane) because we don't have enough sorties for all of our combat aviators to get as much training as they need," he said.

The nation's F-22 fighter jets were grounded for four months last year after pilots complained of experiencing a lack of oxygen that can cause dizziness and blackouts. Air Force officials said they have taken steps against the problem, but still haven't pinpointed what's causing the hypoxia-like symptoms. Hypoxia is when the body doesn't receive enough oxygen.

An Air Force panel is meeting weekly to investigate the problem and has enlisted the help of NASA and the Navy to learn more about what happens to the body under extreme conditions, among other things.

Hostage spoke during a media day event at the base, highlighting the nation's most advanced fighter plane. After being introduced in 2005, the last of nearly 190 jets are scheduled to be delivered to the Air Force this week.

At a price tag of $143 million each, the Raptor has come under some criticism for not being used in place of older and less-sophisticated jets in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Hostage said the plane is critical to maintaining the nation's air superiority in the future and that he wishes he had more of the jets at his disposal. On Monday, Iran's defense minister said that reports of the stealth fighter jet being deployed to the United Arab Emirates would damage regional security, the semiofficial ISNA news agency reported.

Without saying which country in the region the F-22s were deployed to -- or which base or bases they were deployed from -- Hostage said there's a reason other nations take note of the plane's movements.

"People pay attention to where this airplane goes and what it does because, regardless of the furor in our press and public about the suitability or the safety of the airplane, they're very worried about its capability. That, to me, means we're on the right path with this capability," he said.

The planes are stationed at five other bases besides Virginia: Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska; Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii; Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.; Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.; and Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
ok...here's a map showing the crash site in relationship to the runways.....

(Image removed from quote.)

now i don't know the scale on this map, so i don't know the distance......but this happened straight off the end of the runway. i've always thought it pretty stupid to build anything within a few miles of ANY runway(on the runway heading), much less a military or commercial runway.

honestly, with homes built close like this(we've got em within a half mile at south jersey regional, and the flying w), it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Cap you are correct...only a matter of time...but....it's been almost 25 years since the last fatal aircraft mishap involving Oceana aircraft and the surrounding area, and that's a pretty damned good safety record considering the optemo out of Oceana.  It truly was a Good Friday miracle that noone....NOONE was killed.

The unfortunate thing here is that you have a Virginia Beach City council that is shaking hands with the Navy on the left saying they will control the developers, but then shaking hands on the right with the developers stating they will handle dealing with the Navy, just go ahead and build.  That diagram you showed has to be disclosed to any potential home-buyer when purchasing in Virginia Beach.  You know before you sign the dotted line what type of chance you are taking, and it's YOUR decision if you want to move forward.

When the base was commissioned in 1943, there was nothing for miles around, but now almost 70 years later, its surrounded by commercial and urban sprawl.  But it still doesn't stop those who just moved in a couple of years ago from biatching and moaning about how the Navy and it's aircraft are infringing and threatening their God-given rights when they have to fly past 2000 hours in order to prepare for their upcoming deployment....to protect those freedoms that allow them to biatch in the first place!  I live under the departing flight path for runway 23 (a route I flew many many times) and for all those who complain about the jets.....either embrace it, or move the f out.  It is what it is....and they are not going away anytime soon....thank God.

BTW...I still have some sources inside VFA-106....it was a D (as has been reported in the press) and those dudes came about 1.0-1.5 seconds from being apart of those wreckage pictures....they were at less than 150' when the punched. 

Do you believe in miracles?  Having seen the site, flown over the same area many many times, and having lived here for over 12 years......yes, yes I do.
Duke