Author Topic: When to use/chop throttle  (Read 1503 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: When to use/chop throttle
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
I really appreciate the responses. Let me rephrase my question.

In going going verticle, doing loops when would I max throttle, when would I chop throttle to create the smallest circle possible?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
I personally am of the opinion that there are more then one school of thinking concerning throttle use...  One school believes that max throttle most of the time maximizes E and can be exploited...  School two manipulates throttle extensively in order to control turn radius.  Both schools have advantages and disadvantages.

Agreed.  And much depends on what plane you're flying.  Spitfires benefit most from throttle variation, while 190A8s need every bit of gas they can get.  I guess that means it depends on how quickly your plane recovers energy.

- oldman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »

In going going verticle, doing loops when would I max throttle, when would I chop throttle to create the smallest circle possible?

Boo

max throttle when going up,  off throttle coming down is a good starting point.   When your dogfighting it is all about what your opponent is doing and reacting to it.   If they are going super aggressive and your a bit slow to realise it you may want to open out some separation and get on top of him or if they are max throttling it you have to keep enough Energy going to not lose too much E and get roped.  

In the stall some planes more than others will not want to roll or do what you tell them, negating the torque or adding full power in certain situations will snap the plane back to where you want it to go.

when turn fighting it might also be good to pay close attention to the best cornering speeds with flaps up and flaps down.   If you choose the latter you need to manage the throttle well enough so you don't have flaps retracting from over speeding on the way down.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:40:46 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »
max throttle when going up,  off throttle coming down is a good starting point.   When your dogfighting it is all about what your opponent is doing and reacting to it.   If they are going super aggressive and your a bit slow to realise it you may want to open out some separation and get on top of him or if they are max throttling it you have to keep enough Energy going to not lose too much E and get roped.  

In the stall some planes more than others will not want to roll or do what you tell them, negating the torque or adding full power in certain situations will snap the plane back to where you want it to go.

when turn fighting it might also be good to pay close attention to the best cornering speeds with flaps up and flaps down.   If you choose the latter you need to manage the throttle well enough so you don't have flaps retracting from over speeding on the way down.  

Oops.  There were some more places I use throttle.  I guess I use it more than I think but I don't think about it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
Chop throttle when you're going down, open it up when you're going up. Basicly as soon as you've started climbing again, floor it.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
over corner speed, chop the throttle.

under corner speed, pour on the coals!

:)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

Boo

Google "BFM Energy Egg".  There are a lot of great references that will explain "how to" use this diagram concept.  Learn the basic concepts and then start practicing....a lot.

Here's a good "how to" reference.  http://www.cyberspaceops.com/data/Publications/Tomme/Air-to-Air%20Reference%20Text.pdf.   Disregard the jet speeds, afterburner, etc and it will apply in game.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:44:16 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
I personally am of the opinion that there are more then one school of thinking concerning throttle use...  One school believes that max throttle most of the time maximizes E and can be exploited...  School two manipulates throttle extensively in order to control turn radius.  Both schools have advantages and disadvantages.

A student of dog fighting needs to realize that there are two trains of thinking and decide which facets of both schools best serve in any given situation.  Key word being situation.  Marriage to either school exclusively is short sighted, in my opinion.

I say this after more then four years in the Aces High community and spending many hours with quite a few different trainers, exposing that not all trainers approach air combat in the same way.  There is no simple solution or answer to the question the OP posed.

This is a good bit of advice and 1 of the reasons I suggest players check out more than 1 trainer. Everyone has their own techniques and habits and following a single course is narrow minded,funny never quite thought of it like that but it's definitely true... :lol

Boo,I think the answer your looking for isn't an easy one,because it depends on so many variables I don't think there is a definite answer except nose down power down,nose up power up. Rolex like to teach the elevator works to control speed,and it does,nose up slow down,nose down and speed up so I think it's safe to say those rules apply to throttle work.

Bigrat and baldeagl both touch on something that shouldnt be ignored either,many of us use throttle much more than we realize simply because it's instinctive and we dont have to think about it. Boo is in the cognitive stage where he's think what to do and analizing what he's done after the fact.

I think the best thing you can do to help yourself with this Boo is to practice,go to the TA and get a buddy and tail chase each other and try to shake the other guy. You will soon find out what works and what doesnt.

:salute

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
This has been a great and just what I wanted. I did end up doing the tail chase thing with Clerick today. I in a G2, he in Spit 5. Got him to overshoot a few times, good practice though in general he ate my lunch. Much to learn though I'm patient.

Thanks all!
Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Clerick is a Gentleman and a fiend!   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
G-2 against Spit 5, I'd try for a high rolling scissors defense. Your engine is going to be your biggest advantage, so make use of it.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"