Author Topic: Oscar  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Oscar
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:34 AM »
Mitsu,

Keep in mind that the version we have in AH is the one the Finns use, which is substantially more agile with lower wing loading than the F2A-3s and B-339s the Japanese faced.

Without credible source its impossible to mod an accurate buffalo, the best I could post is the after action report at Midway in which buffalo pilots were claiming zeros were flying at 450 mph in level flight.

I have no resources to prove otherwise of what buffalos can do, sadly.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
Without credible source its impossible to mod an accurate buffalo, the best I could post is the after action report at Midway in which buffalo pilots were claiming zeros were flying at 450 mph in level flight.

I have no resources to prove otherwise of what buffalos can do, sadly.
That doesn't really apply to the Buffalo though.  We do have credible sources for them.  Certainly for the US and Finnish versions.

I know you don't trust the Finnish data, but based on their kill claims* I think the Finns were pretty rigorous when it comes to the accuracy of data.

*Finland was the only participant in the war who's kill claims were lower than the enemy's loss records.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:19 AM »
Mitsu,

Keep in mind that the version we have in AH is the one the Finns use, which is substantially more agile with lower wing loading than the F2A-3s and B-339s the Japanese faced.

Also Finnish pilots skill were almost high like Japanese pilots in early war.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »
Also Finnish pilots skill were almost high like Japanese pilots in early war.

Almost?  :D
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2012, 05:14:12 AM »
I challenge you to produce the HUNDREDS of people who would have left the game except for scenarios [featuring old outdated fighters]

You made that up.

Plz review the thread.....I didn't make that up because I didn't make that statement. I only agreed with part of it.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »
Did the Japanese fight many Finns?
What difference does that make? There are plenty of fantasy matchups in the MA already. You obviously missed the sarcasm....try again.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
I mean absolutely no offense when I say this but considering the years of experience and expertise of HT and staff how difficult can it be to add ANY oft used WWII plane, particularly one which has been modeled in the past.

To reiterate.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »
Tbh, lads; this game is solely about fun.

Nothing more then a young boys idle dream made into virtual reality. We all wanted to do this kind of stuff before computers were capable of it and now they are. Confirmed Kill, Air Warrior, Warbirds, Aces High are all just expressions of that dream.

Do we need fancy planes with intensely strategic scenarios and perks and all these other things?

No; we just need eachother! The more the community and the game seperates itself from that innocent, fragile dream, the less popular and less mainstream it gets.

Lets just enjoy these times and moments and let HT and the other guys worry bout what belongs in the game and what doesnt!

Peace out yo!

:airplane:

(Now as to where the dream comes from; not a topic for this convo, but interesting one: Very likely)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:25:18 AM by Torquila »

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »
Tbh, lads; this game is solely about fun.

Nothing more then a young boys idle dream made into virtual reality. We all wanted to do this kind of stuff before computers were capable of it and now they are. Confirmed Kill, Air Warrior, Warbirds, Aces High are all just expressions of that dream.

Do we need fancy planes with intensely strategic scenarios and perks and all these other things?

No; we just need eachother! The more the community and the game seperates itself from that innocent, fragile dream, the less popular and less mainstream it gets.

Lets just enjoy these times and moments and let HT and the other guys worry bout what belongs in the game and what doesnt!

Peace out yo!

:airplane:

(Now as to where the dream comes from; not a topic for this convo, but interesting one: Very likely)

While I agree with most of what you say....this IS a WISHLIST, HT provided this WISHLIST for us to WISH in. Peace back at ya.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »
Nevermind.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
Or would you rather argue over people making wishes in a forum titled wishlist?

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »
What difference does that make? There are plenty of fantasy matchups in the MA already. You obviously missed the sarcasm....try again.

Actually I think my statement, which wasn't directed to you at all, went way over your head. I'm guessing that your bitterness is causing you to not think clearly.
See Rule #4

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »
That doesn't really apply to the Buffalo though.  We do have credible sources for them.  Certainly for the US and Finnish versions.

I know you don't trust the Finnish data, but based on their kill claims* I think the Finns were pretty rigorous when it comes to the accuracy of data.

*Finland was the only participant in the war who's kill claims were lower than the enemy's loss records.

Its not I don't trust the Data, I simply cannot read it - or Russian/Japanese for that matter - which most manuals I have run across that i've bought happen to be in russian or polish etc. However in the recent year the website I used to buy all my PDF's from
suddenly stop letting me view the "book" before buying it - which now is a shot in the dark when seeing if it had any credible data - even if it was in another language I would buy it just so I could say hey! something new here.

As for the kill claim - i've never been able to track down just how the fins scored less then exaggerating numbers, even Japan with all its Aces seemed to over exaggerate events (Coral See for example a Tanker was mistaken for a Carrier).

Its quite possible since Robin Olds should of been an Ace in the Vietnam, however its well known he flew "unrecorded", since he wasn't suppose to be flying period.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »
The Japanese were probably the most egregious overclaimers among fighter pilots.  Mostly, I think, because they didn't really have an established method for claiming kills and, at least for most of the war, kills were given to the unit, not the individual.

The Germans were pretty good at times, but they still claimed three times as many as they got in the Battle of Britain.  During the first month of the battle the British actually claimed less than they got, but they made up for that in the subsequent two months by claiming about two and a half times what they actually got.

I do thing, to a degree, there is a morale factor in letting your pilots and crews claims stand when you know they are bogus.  Certain the USAAF's 8th air force knew that the kill claims by the bombers were wildly exaggerated, by about a factor of ten, but for morale purposes they let them stand.  On the other end, the Luftwaffe under Hermann Goering took the Luftwaffe's claims in the Battle of Britain at face value and insisted the RAF was down to its last 50 Spitfires.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-