Author Topic: he-177 a-5 german bomber  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: he-177 a-5 german bomber
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »
tunnelrat, you're ignorant of what losing the war vs what they need actually means.

The entire pre-war bomber requirements for Germany were light and fast. Speed was the defense. Ever since the Spanish Civil War they had the idea that faster bombers could get through and bomb without being intercepted. It didn't work so well but they kept pushing this idea.

Further, the entire bomber fleet was made up of these types of bombers. They didn't need anything larger. That's a fact. They didn't need to have 4 engines to bomb the Soviets or the Brits. Yes, they knew they'd be attacking the Soviets. It was the plan from the start. There was never a doubt that Germany and Soviet Union would attack each other. Historically they had proven they both wanted each others' land and they both KNEW this. The only reason they had a treaty was to buy time. Stalin thought his massive horde of planes would win the day, but found out the horde can't be obsolete. He was also caught a bit off guard, having just purged 80% of his command staff out of paranoia, and wasn't expecting such a fast turnaround from the British front to the Soviet one.

They would have been working out "heavy" bombers in the early 1930s if they needed them. They did not. Twin engine "medium" bombers were far more flexible and had nearly the same range.

The amerika bomber was a pipe dream to go along with the nuclear bomb they were trying to develop. It wasn't going to be a solution in any reality of WW2. It would have been a rare 1-off, low-production model (probably single digits ever built). IF it ever would have been used at all. It was always speed. Speed, range, altitude. The 1000 requirement was 1000km range, 1000km/hour, 1000kg bombload. That was their ideal they kept pushing for, lighter, faster, MORE planes.

Even up to the end, when all sorts of fancy pipe dreams were being given the green light, the German bomber force was still twin engine medium bombers.

What they NEEDED was a defense. Not a long-range B-17 clone. They didn't need that. They couldn't have used that. That wouldn't have helped them in any way, really.

Offline jag88

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
Oh boy...

tunnelrat, you're ignorant of what losing the war vs what they need actually means.

The entire pre-war bomber requirements for Germany were light and fast. Speed was the defense. Ever since the Spanish Civil War they had the idea that faster bombers could get through and bomb without being intercepted. It didn't work so well but they kept pushing this idea.

Further, the entire bomber fleet was made up of these types of bombers. They didn't need anything larger. That's a fact. They didn't need to have 4 engines to bomb the Soviets or the Brits. Yes, they knew they'd be attacking the Soviets. It was the plan from the start. There was never a doubt that Germany and Soviet Union would attack each other. Historically they had proven they both wanted each others' land and they both KNEW this. The only reason they had a treaty was to buy time. Stalin thought his massive horde of planes would win the day, but found out the horde can't be obsolete. He was also caught a bit off guard, having just purged 80% of his command staff out of paranoia, and wasn't expecting such a fast turnaround from the British front to the Soviet one.

They would have been working out "heavy" bombers in the early 1930s if they needed them. They did not. Twin engine "medium" bombers were far more flexible and had nearly the same range.

The amerika bomber was a pipe dream to go along with the nuclear bomb they were trying to develop. It wasn't going to be a solution in any reality of WW2. It would have been a rare 1-off, low-production model (probably single digits ever built). IF it ever would have been used at all. It was always speed. Speed, range, altitude. The 1000 requirement was 1000km range, 1000km/hour, 1000kg bombload. That was their ideal they kept pushing for, lighter, faster, MORE planes.

Even up to the end, when all sorts of fancy pipe dreams were being given the green light, the German bomber force was still twin engine medium bombers.

What they NEEDED was a defense. Not a long-range B-17 clone. They didn't need that. They couldn't have used that. That wouldn't have helped them in any way, really.

What do you make of the FACT that they had a heavy bomber program since 1934?

What do you make of the FACT that they had a heavy bomber program dubbed the "Ural Bomber", for which the 4-engined Do-19 and Ju-89 were developed?

What do you make of the FACT that they also had a new heavy bomber program since 1936 called "Bomber A", as opposed to the new medium program called "Bomber B"?

What do you make of the FACT that the He-177 heavy bomber was a product of the "Bomber A" program?

What do you make of the FACT that the He-177 heavy bomber EXISTED if there was no requirement for a heavy bomber?

German doctrine had an emphasis on fast medium bombers, but the Germans did not abandon the development of a heavy bomber as the He-177 proves.  Or should prove if denial does not get in the way.

Regarding the utility of a heavy for the Luftwaffe, they had plenty of targets in Russia that needed the attentions of a long ranged bomber, a fleet of He-177Bs in 1942 would have allowed them to hit soviet factories with impunity and disturb tank production, for example.  Not to mention that they would have had a far more capable maritime recon/strike platform for U-boat cooperation.

You really need to read something about German aircraft development.

JAG
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:57:41 PM by jag88 »
The 88 in my name has nothing to do with nazis, skinheads or any other type of half-wit, nor with the "ideas" they support.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
Oh boy...

What do you make of the FACT that they had a heavy bomber program since 1934?

What do you make of the FACT that they had a heavy bomber program dubbed the "Ural Bomber", for which the 4-engined Do-19 and Ju-89 were developed?

What do you make of the FACT that they also had a new heavy bomber program since 1936 called "Bomber A", as opposed to the new medium program called "Bomber B"?

What do you make of the FACT that the He-177 heavy bomber was a product of the "Bomber A" program?

What do you make of the FACT that the He-177 heavy bomber EXISTED if there was no requirement for a heavy bomber?

German doctrine had an emphasis on fast medium bombers, but the Germans did not abandon the development of a heavy bomber as the He-177 proves.  Or should prove if denial does not get in the way.

Regarding the utility of a heavy for the Luftwaffe, they had plenty of targets in Russia that needed the attentions of a long ranged bomber, a fleet of He-177Bs in 1942 would have allowed them to hit soviet factories with impunity and disturb tank production, for example.  Not to mention that they would have had a far more capable maritime recon/strike platform for U-boat cooperation.

You really need to read something about German aircraft development.

JAG

Didn't the Germans cancel their heavy bomber program in the late 1930s just prior to the start of the war and cancelled an order for 400 heavy bombers?  At least prior to and at the beginning of the war, the Germans didn't really put too much stock in strategic bombing and heavy bombers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
Didn't the Germans cancel their heavy bomber program in the late 1930s just prior to the start of the war and cancelled an order for 400 heavy bombers?  At least prior to and at the beginning of the war, the Germans didn't really put too much stock in strategic bombing and heavy bombers.

ack-ack
The Germans never put the value in it, correctly or not, that the British and Americans did.  It is extremely simplistic and misleading to equate the 1936 order for the He177 program and the 1936 specification that resulted in the Lancaster and Halifax while ignoring the actual resources and priority given to the respective projects are not at all similar.  The resulting 13,555 Lancasters and Halifaxes against the 1169 He177s is a good measure of that and that is ignoring the unsuccessful Manchesters and Stirlings that were also built.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
Didn't the Germans cancel their heavy bomber program in the late 1930s just prior to the start of the war and cancelled an order for 400 heavy bombers? 

Yes.

And the other important difference to the Allied strategic bombers is that the HE 177 only left the drawing board because of the ability to dive bomb (even if they soon stopped to use it that way). That was the requirement. So it's not a stretch to say the 177 was intended to be a heavy strategic bomber, but more or less a super-heavy Stuka (which is actually a generic term for divebomber in german).
The one true heavy bomber program was stopped with the cancellation of the Do 19 and the ju 89, both being true contemporaries of the B-17.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »

Yes.

And the other important difference to the Allied strategic bombers is that the HE 177 only left the drawing board because of the ability to dive bomb (even if they soon stopped to use it that way). That was the requirement. So it's not a stretch to say the 177 was intended to be a heavy strategic bomber, but more or less a super-heavy Stuka (which is actually a generic term for divebomber in german).
The one true heavy bomber program was stopped with the cancellation of the Do 19 and the ju 89, both being true contemporaries of the B-17.

I did some research a while back on the DO 19 and Ju89, while interesting aircrafts I believe they would of been plagued with the same problem He-111s and Do-17's had: Weakness in defensive positions.

He-177 is the closest to the B-17 as I can see from toughness to gun positions - Boeing did an amazing job defending the B-17 by upgrading its defensive armaments and protection, I don't see the Germans being able to make change to such a design as the B-17 had.
JG 52

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
I did some research a while back on the DO 19 and Ju89, while interesting aircrafts I believe they would of been plagued with the same problem He-111s and Do-17's had: Weakness in defensive positions.the B-17 had.

They both were cancelled in a very early stage, they had a lot more room for armament evolution than the more compact medium bombers.

Do-19

The early B-17s hadn't been that heavily armed either, iirc the first prototypes had only a small number of rifle-sized MGs.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
"Boeing did an amazing job defending the B-17 by upgrading its defensive armaments and protection, I don't see the Germans being able to make change to such a design as the B-17 had."

Care to explain you thought a little bit more?

Exactly how was defensive armament upgraded, or protection to that matter?

What did they do that the Germans were not already doing or could not have done?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
They both were cancelled in a very early stage, they had a lot more room for armament evolution than the more compact medium bombers.

(Image removed from quote.)
Do-19

The early B-17s hadn't been that heavily armed either, iirc the first prototypes had only a small number of rifle-sized MGs.

I wish we could of seen any kind of evolution of either bomber, makes me in a way wish we had prototypes, but in another way I don't want to see the outcome of that :)
/G8n would be a very interesting Japanese "B-29"
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
"Boeing did an amazing job defending the B-17 by upgrading its defensive armaments and protection, I don't see the Germans being able to make change to such a design as the B-17 had."

Care to explain you thought a little bit more?

Exactly how was defensive armament upgraded, or protection to that matter?

What did they do that the Germans were not already doing or could not have done?

-C+

If you look at the B-17 production from B-F models in terms of changes to the production - the defensive armament was radically upgraded from a handful of .303 caliber rifles to 11+ 50 cal machine guns, G model being the latest added a chin with twin 50s.

Far Difference between a B-17D Stationed at March AF in Philippines and a B-17F stationed in England in '43.

The Ju-88 was versatile enough it could of been upgunned, I always questioned how come the German's never bothered to defend it (along with other bombers) after the Battle of Britain clearly showed it could not defend itself.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
I did some research a while back on the DO 19 and Ju89, while interesting aircrafts I believe they would of been plagued with the same problem He-111s and Do-17's had: Weakness in defensive positions.
Early B-17s were also highly vulnerable with significant blind spots, the RAF finding them not ready for combat operations.

He-177 is the closest to the B-17 as I can see from toughness to gun positions - Boeing did an amazing job defending the B-17 by upgrading its defensive armaments and protection, I don't see the Germans being able to make change to such a design as the B-17 had.
Eric Brown seemed to think the He177 to be fragile for an aircraft its size.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jag88

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Didn't the Germans cancel their heavy bomber program in the late 1930s just prior to the start of the war and cancelled an order for 400 heavy bombers?  At least prior to and at the beginning of the war, the Germans didn't really put too much stock in strategic bombing and heavy bombers.

ack-ack

The replaced the 1934 Ural bomber requirement by the 1936 Bomber A requirement, that included dive-bombing capabilities.  No contract was signed for serial production either Do-19s or Ju-89s, ever.

The Germans never put the value in it, correctly or not, that the British and Americans did.  It is extremely simplistic and misleading to equate the 1936 order for the He177 program and the 1936 specification that resulted in the Lancaster and Halifax while ignoring the actual resources and priority given to the respective projects are not at all similar.  The resulting 13,555 Lancasters and Halifaxes against the 1169 He177s is a good measure of that and that is ignoring the unsuccessful Manchesters and Stirlings that were also built.

This is what you said earlier:

The Manchester/Lancaster and Halifax were both developed per Air Ministry Specification P.13/36 for a twin engined heavy bomber using the Rolls Royce Vulture or or Napier Saber engines and issued in 1936.  The RAF's decision to go to Heavy Bombers well predates the war.

Basically you were trying to imply that the British started earlier and therefore had attached greater importance to heavy bombers, that was not the case since both projects were simultaneous.  The Germans did prioritize the Ju-88 development over the He-177 and were right about that given the circumstances at the time (level bombing was quite inaccurate until the 1941 fielding of the Loft 7), but the reasons for the difference in numbers are several, among those is that heavy bombers were pretty much the only weapon available for the British to attack the Germans so obviously they would concentrate on making them, but that does not reflect the importance attributed pre-war to a particular project.

The number of He-177s is low for similar reasons, the Germans relevant enemy were the Russians and therefore they would focus on tanks and tactical equipment plus, the Germans insisted on trying to make the coupled engines work instead of bypassing the source of most of the problems by using individual engines.  Since the aircraft wasnt reliable production was slow and obsolete He-111s were still being built.

In any case the point was and still is, the Germans did not constrict themselves or attribute importance to medium bombers only as someone was saying, they preferred mediums but understood the need for a heavy bomber, it just happens that they were incredibly stubborn and made a mess out of it by issuing an immature aircraft to half-trained crews with inadequate support, and they did it so because they understood the need for a heavy bomber and they needed it fast!

Not quite, they wanted a heavy bomber that could dive bomb, not a heavy dive bomber, which is why the 1936 request meant the cancellation of the 1934 projects, why the initial models carried aiming mechanisms for both level and dive bombing and why the He-177 was kept when the dive-bombing requirement was dropped.  Had it been a mere heavy dive bomber the Greif would have died once the concept proved impractical.

Had two of the prototypes had been built with individual engines as requested by Heinkel, well, the aircraft story would likely be very different.

Nope, not at all, the German projects were far better armed than the contemporary versions of the B-17 from the start, they had dorsal and ventral turrets with 2 x 20mm MGFF each in one of the Ju-89 prototypes, for example.  Being large aircraft and also having tail position from the start then upgunning should not have been a problem.

Eric Brown seemed to think the He177 to be fragile for an aircraft its size.

The aircraft's structure was reinforced for inclined flight/dive bombing, it was an sturdy aircraft but the engines were its Achilles hell.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:23:15 PM by jag88 »
The 88 in my name has nothing to do with nazis, skinheads or any other type of half-wit, nor with the "ideas" they support.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 04:14:13 AM »
"If you look at the B-17 production from B-F models in terms of changes to the production - the defensive armament was radically upgraded from a handful of .303 caliber rifles to 11+ 50 cal machine guns, G model being the latest added a chin with twin 50s. "

Well, yes that is what they did, and much more. The late 30's thinking was that bombers did not even need escorts but could do all the defense by themselves. The B-17 did not even have a tail position to begin with and Airforce insisted having one so Boeing added one. I'd say it is the most important defensive position in a bomber that does not rely on speed but to bulk formations, and the tail position in B-17 is not even powered and thus inherently inaccurate -the usability of other manual positions you can only guess. The late "Cheyenne" type had more traverse, better sight system and better view but the guns were still manually operated so the accuracy was likely not better than with the earlier model. Lucky for B-17 it did have two somewhat effective turrets top and bottom with the bottom one being hampered by terrible visibility. The point is that the defensive power of a B-17 probably was not what it is in this game which may lead to incorrect opinions of its real-life effectiveness. This can be well pointed out if you consider we had a "Rammjäger" FW190A8 in game. That variant would not be a problem to AH B-17 tail gunner as he would simply saw its wings off from 800yds distance and ask if it wants more in some other place -and that is not how it happened IRL. But he AH B-17 does not have the luxury of massed firepower of a bulk formation so from MA mentality point of view it is OK, I guess. 

It may well be asked why they wanted to build dive capability to He177 in the first place?

It could be thought that having experience of massed bombing from BoB and examining the results of allied night and day bombing I can't help but think that they wanted a fast bomber with good payload that could take out a target with a surgical blow as Germany simply did not have capability to build such bomber armadas as Brits and US. And at that time that kind of accuracy could be established only by bombing from a dive. If we consider Ju-88 and its dive capability I'm not sure how much better it would have been if it was built without it. While loaded it would still not match a fighter in speed or maneuverability, but at least if could be used in both strategic and tactical bombing as it was an effective dive bomber. The tactical aspect of being also very evident in German thinking was the desire to put all kinds of huge guns in forward positions in their bombers, as in He-177.

-C+

PS. A bit too extensive pondering of subject in Wishlist in my opinion. We need a direct linking from a Wishlist topic to Aircraft and Vehicles so we could keep the topics in correct places.  ;)
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline jag88

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

Forgot this.  

No, this would have been the tail turret of either the A6 or He-177B-5, 4 x 13mm:

The dorsal turret was the 2x20mm version of the already fielded FHL 131:

For the A7/B7 versions 4 and 2 gun turrets taken from the Ju-290's nose and waist positions were planned.

The Ju-88 was versatile enough it could of been upgunned, I always questioned how come the German's never bothered to defend it (along with other bombers) after the Battle of Britain clearly showed it could not defend itself.

The armament was upgraded in the Ju-188 version and no, no bomber could defend itself as the Schweinfurt, Ploesti and early RAF raids proved.  No escorts = dead bombers.

It may well be asked why they wanted to build dive capability to He177 in the first place?

It could be thought that having experience of massed bombing from BoB and examining the results of allied night and day bombing I can't help but think that they wanted a fast bomber with good payload that could take out a target with a surgical blow as Germany simply did not have capability to build such bomber armadas as Brits and US. And at that time that kind of accuracy could be established only by bombing from a dive. If we consider Ju-88 and its dive capability I'm not sure how much better it would have been if it was built without it. While loaded it would still not match a fighter in speed or maneuverability, but at least if could be used in both strategic and tactical bombing as it was an effective dive bomber. The tactical aspect of being also very evident in German thinking was the desire to put all kinds of huge guns in forward positions in their bombers, as in He-177.

The dive bombing spec dates from 1936, when level bombing was quite inaccurate.  It was dropped in 1942 when it was shown to be both impractical and no longer necessary, so the Allied bombing campaign had nothing to do with it.

JAG
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:57:04 PM by jag88 »

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
There were almost 1,200 HE-177s made...

It's not a matter of if...
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.