Author Topic: Aces High on a game console?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Aces High on a game console?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
i couldnt even fathom the amount of hoing noobs...so no lol

Today I logged on and found 34 players online. In Late War.

At that point, I don't care about the "expected skill level" of future new players anymore, as long as we get any - no matter what, why or how  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »

At that point, I don't care about the "expected skill level" of future new players anymore, as long as we get any - no matter what, why or how  :uhoh

Weekdays and during work/school hours... What'd you expect? And yes, I know there are less players than before, but that happens to ALL games that lasted as long as AH has.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
I don't even think it's POSSIBLE...

That's because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Pretty much anything Windows based can be made to work on 360. The graphics would be acceptable. There are many joysticks you can plug into it's multiple USB ports that just work. The only place it would get interesting is network stack integration.

I've developed stuff for my own 360. It's easy. You don't even necessarily need the pricey dev kit.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Weekdays and during work/school hours... What'd you expect? And yes, I know there are less players than before, but that happens to ALL games that lasted as long as AH has.

It's not about other planes or what I 'would expect'. It doesn't help me when Warbirds has even way less players. I am an AH player, and I do not want to play AH in an empty arena.  ;)

My point was that at some stage you can't be that chosey anymore about new players

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:27 AM »
I'd rather 30 players that put up a fight than 100 player that run and hide.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
I'd rather 30 players that put up a fight than 100 player that run and hide.

Is the LW arena population that perfect rigth now? According to your own frequently voiced opinion, it's not. ;)

Wishful thinking is one thing, reality the other. When you log in and there are 40 players on a large map, the amount of fighting is rather low. Not to speak of 'battles'.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
Even if it were possible - would the console players even be able to play on the current server?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Even if it were possible - would the console players even be able to play on the current server?

why wouldn't they be? a xbox is a computer in a different form factor thats about it
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »

At that point, I don't care about the "expected skill level" of future new players anymore, as long as we get any - no matter what, why or how  :uhoh

we are all busy playing diablo III  :lol

I personally experienced a lack of motivation playing aces high lately....nothing new to do.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
Is the LW arena population that perfect rigth now? According to your own frequently voiced opinion, it's not. ;)

Wishful thinking is one thing, reality the other. When you log in and there are 40 players on a large map, the amount of fighting is rather low. Not to speak of 'battles'.

That is exactly what I am saying.

In the old days it was like 7 out of 10 that battled. Today it is more like 1 in 10.  I'd rather be picky and have 30 players that want to battle than 100 that would rather ho, run, and hide.

How they.can go about getting players who want to play instead of that that just run and hide, I don't know, but that is what I'd rather see.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
we are all busy playing diablo III  :lol

I personally experienced a lack of motivation playing aces high lately....nothing new to do.

If you are bored with the same old capture-the-flag in the MA, might I suggest an historically-inspired, squad-based, two-hour event with over three hundred regular participants that runs nearly every week:  FSO

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
why wouldn't they be? a xbox is a computer in a different form factor thats about it

I think there's more to it than that, but honestly I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

I know that at least some games, such as battlefield, seperate players by the console they're using. People playing on PCs can't play with xbox users (or so I'm told - I've never played it myself).
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
I think there's more to it than that, but honestly I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

I know that at least some games, such as battlefield, seperate players by the console they're using. People playing on PCs can't play with xbox users (or so I'm told - I've never played it myself).

That's a choice, not a technical limitation. They probably didn't want to mix mouse and gamepad players.

If you are bored with the same old capture-the-flag in the MA, might I suggest an historically-inspired, squad-based, two-hour event with over three hundred regular participants that runs nearly every week:  FSO

I would love to fly FSO, if it wasn't in the middle of the night for europe
now posting as SirNuke

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
so is the kindle but it can't handle mmo's with more than 300+ people on a single terrain and render 3 scale miles of objects in high resolution.

That's a choice, not a technical limitation. They probably didn't want to mix mouse and gamepad players.
yes there are technical limitations, intended from the development stage. proprietary architecture and operating systems between each console type. if the limitations weren't there, games would be universally playable not specific to each architecture. there is no money in making cross platform universally playable games.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:40:36 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
 :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: I miss my Nintendo NES :(  :frown: :cry :cry :cry :cry
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher