Author Topic: Elitism  (Read 9120 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Elitism
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
No matter of what occured in another thread, I find Oldman's statement to present undisputed truth.  I am all for striving to be the best that you can be, and sometimes I tend to expect more from others.  That is when I should be reminded that I can only fly my plane and no one else's.

For an example, I recently expressed my annoyance after being killed by a 30mm turd from yet another Bf109k4 cannon.  I let my emotion spill over to suggest that the other pilot's choice to fly something so "uber" was somehow less of a show of skill.  Touche, the K4 pilot replied that he was likewise not impressed with my poor turning in the Razorback P47D11 that I was flying.  A point well taken.  :salute

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »
I used to play "Elite" all the time on my Commodore 64 :)

I played Elite II (Atari ST) and Elite III (PC), those were awesome games, I wish there were more of this kind!!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »
I do not think the OP fully realize the concept of elitism, it is also often referred to as satanism. The core value of satanism is the rightful exploitation of the weaker and less gifted many, by the strong and intelligent few.

I do not believe the AH community is elitist, but a lot of players want to be the best. Some like to pretend they are, here on the forum or ingame. We all have different definitions of what it means to be "the best" though. You have to consider also that a lot of people here just want to have fun. What is considered fun is also very different from player to player.

So... I guess what I'm saying is, you can't generalize like that but sure... if you want to troll that's a open field to play on.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:09:38 AM by 33Vortex »

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 04:43:15 AM »
The core value of satanism is the rightful exploitation of the weaker and less gifted many, by the strong and intelligent few.

Without delving too much into Rule 14, that would be closer to Luciferianism. 'Satanism' in general is nothing of which you describe, but I wouldn't have expected any less here.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:45:57 AM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:20 AM »
Go to their official website; www.churchofsatan.com

There is a distinction between satanism and luciferianism of course, but saying that satanism is not elitist in nature would be erroneous.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:02 AM »
There was no point. Simply more dogpiling on ol'e Krusty in a vain attempt to "join the club"?

Whatever. The thread was a failure anyways :)
Funny, I didn't see you mentioned at all in the OP yet here you are. As entertaining as you might be at times, you really are in no way as important as you think. And who knew Oldman worshipped the Prince of Darkness? I didn't see that one coming.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »
What does elitism mean?
-you got the willing to get better, youre an elitist?
-you prefer "quality engagement" instead of the gamey crap? You might even piss on your K/D?
-youre more proud than gang someone like a mofo and call "u were pwned, beyotch"?
-you think the "dogfighters should find another game" is just plainly wrong for an air combat sim?
Am i evil? Yes i am! I got my opinion about those who think the points listed above are wrong. There are many people who i respect based on their cartoon flying behaviour, many i absolutely not, and since i got nothing to lose, why should i care about those ones opinion who i dont like?
Am i skilled? Not so much, anyone who fought me could see i was a newbie forever. Am i an elitist tho? Aye, i am, and also proud to it.
AoM
City of ice

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
I used to play "Elite" all the time on my Commodore 64 :)

:aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
So watching some of these threads, one might think that being "elitist" is like being a child molester.  I am very proud that I am an elitist.  I think everyone who plays this game should want to be the best.

Because it also smacks of chest thumping, looking down your nose at others and a lack of humility. I would never want to be called 'elitist', a good pilot yes, elitist no.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
Just to clarify, I was not calling Oldman elitist.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:14:47 AM by Trukk »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
I have no idea where I fit in :confused: it's all a matter of perspective.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
ever notice how the truly best players in the game dont have to keep telling everybody how good they are?

semp

+1
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
...it's all a matter of perspective.

Yes, as is everything else.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
I cannot improve I have reached my ceiling :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
I wish I got called a cheater as much as Shawk does, those pesky F4u's need to be perked - oh wait..
JG 52