Author Topic: Trinity V28 N Spawn  (Read 1199 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Trinity V28 N Spawn
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
Spawning a tank North from V28 on Trinity often puts you at the top of the steep east side cliff.  Neither side likes this; the people who spawn up there complain bitterly, especially if they are in a perk tank, and the enemy complain when the people on the cliff top fire down on them.  No one likes this "feature" (although watching a tank tumble all the way down the cliff, all the way across the valley, and much of the way back up the opposite cliff is entertaining to many).

Yes, I do know about Search.  In fact, searching shows this bug was first reported nearly 4 years ago.  I just thought I would jog HTCs memory.  The solution should be simple: center the spawn arrow in the valley making the random radius less likely to include the cliff tops.

Quote from Skuzzy: I handle all the bug fixes and they are done pretty soon after any bug report.

The problem is, most of the bug reports do not contain enough information to fix the problem.

We need terrain name (every terrain has the name located on the clipboard map), the feild in question, if not a field issue, then the sector number and approximate location in the sector where the problem is.  Then finally a description of the problem so that we can reproduce it.

When you are trying to find an issue in 262,144 square miles of terrain, it is difficult to do without the above information.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Trinity V28 N Spawn
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »
Wrong; many people like this feature.  If you don't like it, don't spawn there.

MH

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:39:36 AM »
They don't like it so much when the inadvertantly spawn there in a Tiger and roll it by accident coming down the steep cliff (also by accident).  It is a bug so why not fix it?

I agree that it could be entertaining at times, but when it is something that is known to some and not all, the potential for abuse and/ or critical mishap and complaints are not worth it.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »
I have seen 100 people happily shooting from the top of that cliff, or happily using it to run around to the enemy's rear, for every 1 person who takes a perk tank up there.  Actually the latter (rear) is even more tactically interesting than the former.  So I think the community gets more satisfaction from this than grief.  

Also, you can just drive up from the town, avoiding the spawn, if you don't want to risk a perk tank.  That is sometimes a good idea anyway with a Tiger, as much of the lower portion of the spawn point is within decisive firing range of the ridge on the valley floor.  It takes an extra 5 minutes or so.    

MH
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:08:32 AM by TDeacon »

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
Needs to be fixed.  I spawned right on the edge and did not have the opportunity to go one foot before tumbling down the mountain.  It only seems to happen in Perk tanks, to me anyway. 
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
Don't take a perk tank to a place where it cannot safely move.

I would venture a guess that the reason for all of the great battles vs other fields neaby getting zero attention is BECAUSE of that unusual spawn.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Don't take a perk tank to a place where it cannot safely move.

I would venture a guess that the reason for all of the great battles vs other fields neaby getting zero attention is BECAUSE of that unusual spawn.

Exactly.  It's one of the better GV spots in the game.  Removing the cliff spawn would make it identical to the 50 other canyon spawns. 

MH

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
Exactly.  It's one of the better GV spots in the game.  Removing the cliff spawn would make it identical to the 50 other canyon spawns. 

MH

So you agree this one spawn has an exploitable glitch or bug.....point made.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
So you agree this one spawn has an exploitable glitch or bug.....point made.

I agree that you can randomly spawn at the top of a cliff, and that this adds gameplay interest.  I don't agree that it should be changed.  I also don't understand why you insist on spawning there if you don't like it.  You can still drive your perk tank up from the town.  I hope all that is clear.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:37:28 AM by TDeacon »

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
OK lets be diplomatic.....POLL

Yes or No.

Me....I say Yes....Fix it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:17:13 AM by ToeTag »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
I feel it increases realism since the sim already gifts you a free ride to within spitting distance of a base.

It's the same reason you sometimes get respawned right in front of a huge boulder in asteroids after hitting the hyperspace button.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
I feel it increases realism since the sim already gifts you a free ride to within spitting distance of a base.

It's the same reason you sometimes get respawned right in front of a huge boulder in asteroids after hitting the hyperspace button.

I think that you just insulted HTC..... :devil

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Yes, I should not have said that NO one likes this "feature".  I was only going by what I hear on text and vox; almost everyone complains.

You have to admit that tumbling down the cliff, all the way across the valley, and back up the other side is not exactly prototypical?

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
Spawning a tank North from V28 on Trinity often puts you at the top of the steep east side cliff.  Neither side likes this; the people who spawn up there complain bitterly, especially if they are in a perk tank, and the enemy complain when the people on the cliff top fire down on them.  No one likes this "feature" (although watching a tank tumble all the way down the cliff, all the way across the valley, and much of the way back up the opposite cliff is entertaining to many).

Yes, I do know about Search.  In fact, searching shows this bug was first reported nearly 4 years ago.  I just thought I would jog HTCs memory.  The solution should be simple: center the spawn arrow in the valley making the random radius less likely to include the cliff tops.

Quote from Skuzzy: I handle all the bug fixes and they are done pretty soon after any bug report.

The problem is, most of the bug reports do not contain enough information to fix the problem.

We need terrain name (every terrain has the name located on the clipboard map), the feild in question, if not a field issue, then the sector number and approximate location in the sector where the problem is.  Then finally a description of the problem so that we can reproduce it.

When you are trying to find an issue in 262,144 square miles of terrain, it is difficult to do without the above information.

was just about to post the same base!  good work 715!!! 
 It needs fixed or the other side needs to be able to spawn up there too,  otherwise there is no way for the other side to get up there. ( I know,, I've tried to climb it)
Flying since tour 71.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
Seems pretty divided on whether this is an advantage or not.