Author Topic: Trinity V28 N Spawn  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Trinity V28 N Spawn
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »
Simply put, expecting every player (whether or not they are a veteran of the game or have ever read the forums) to know to avoid SPECIFIC spawns IS UNREASONABLE.

Whether or not I enjoy, the kicks and giggles is another thing. 

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
Simply put, expecting every player (whether or not they are a veteran of the game or have ever read the forums) to know to avoid SPECIFIC spawns IS UNREASONABLE.

Whether or not I enjoy, the kicks and giggles is another thing. 

Look, I sympathize if you lost a Tiger on the cliff.  However, it is my observation that the community gains more enjoyment than grief from this particular spawn, so I say leave it alone.  I am not talking “giggles” here, but instead gameplay variety which is missing from the other Trinity canyon spawns. 

Here is some additional perspective:  You can easily avoid this in future by spawning your Tiger at the Vbase.  Earning 25 GV perk points is trivial (you can do it with M3 base resupply, for example).  Furthermore, the whole process of spawning is inherently risky.  For example, I spawned a Panther into a healthy looking air base last weekend, and about 15 seconds later, the base changed to Rook and all the acks began shooting at me.  And of course, the normal risk our (perked and unperked) GVs face is whether the spawn is camped or not. 

MH

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
I would like to see a video on how to get down if you do not want to be up there.  Three times I tried and all three ended up in a roll.  I would also like to see you shoot down at other tanks in the valley.  I tried to get a bead on the valley floor and could not. 

To the point about it not being balanced for both sides.....Good one.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
It's imbalanced and, for the MA, gamey.  You can't dispute those facts.  Both sides involved can climb an attack aircraft to umpty-thousand-feet.  Both sides can break out the pack-mules and pull a flanking expeditionary force starting at their field's hangar and over the top of Mt. Everest if they desire.  But only one gets an instantaneous advantage above the canyon to suppress enemy forces and support/overwatch friendly forces.

Trinity has many problems, distracted tankers is one at the gamey spawns utilised for their mini-war within a greater war.  Move them to the tank town, which is ignored by the tankers because they have better and more instantaneously gratifying things to exploit/conquer.  Not so much for those only concerned with their mini-war, but for those of us concerned with only the greater-war effort.... see, it gets hard to capture a field and progress the map when A) first one has to fight or outmaneuver the mini-war successfully at these fields and B) you cause a great divide within your own ranks of players because one large group wants to continue advancing and another wishes that group ill-fortune for ruining their fun and even another group of 'friendly' players wants the other country to now retake those bases to restore their prized mini-war.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
It's imbalanced <snip>

IMHO, from a game play perspective, this particular location is adequately balanced, and I can attest to this by playing both sides on numerous occasions.  If it wasn't, people wouldn't play there.  (Note that the clifftop spawn probably reduces the number of Tigers spawned by that side, thus compensating for the clifftop position advantage).  While it is balanced, it is assymetrical, but that is part of the attractiveness of it.  Again, the proof of the attractiveness of this spawn to most GVers is the fact that it is probably the most consistently populated GV location on Trinity.  Anything that induces more people to play has to be good for the game.  

BTW, Trinity tank town is little used because it doesn’t typically have the built-in occupancy indicator of a flashing base, which in turn says “Hey, I’m here; come and fight me”.  (Also, the symmetrical bowl-shaped center town is boring to fight in).  Unusually, last campaign, we did have a fair amount of Trinity TT activity, simply because Knights had captured one of the Rook and one of the Bishop bases, leaving a single Rook and Bishop base remaining.  This in turn put the remaining opposing bases closer together, and generated a lot of base raids, causing bases to flash, thus attracting other players and generating quite a few interesting GV battles.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:55:30 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
I aint touching any V spawn on trinity with a 10 foot pole.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »
It's imbalanced and, for the MA, gamey.  You can't dispute those facts.  Both sides involved can climb an attack aircraft to umpty-thousand-feet.  Both sides can break out the pack-mules and pull a flanking expeditionary force starting at their field's hangar and over the top of Mt. Everest if they desire.  But only one gets an instantaneous advantage above the canyon to suppress enemy forces and support/overwatch friendly forces.

Trinity has many problems, distracted tankers is one at the gamey spawns utilised for their mini-war within a greater war.  Move them to the tank town, which is ignored by the tankers because they have better and more instantaneously gratifying things to exploit/conquer.  Not so much for those only concerned with their mini-war, but for those of us concerned with only the greater-war effort.... see, it gets hard to capture a field and progress the map when A) first one has to fight or outmaneuver the mini-war successfully at these fields and B) you cause a great divide within your own ranks of players because one large group wants to continue advancing and another wishes that group ill-fortune for ruining their fun and even another group of 'friendly' players wants the other country to now retake those bases to restore their prized mini-war.

Good post but your wrong on one point, the walls of the valley are to steep to scale. There is no way to get a gv up there from the opposing base,,, I've tried!
Now if the other base could spawn up there, it would be great
Flying since tour 71.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »
I've scaled the valley walls in a m4

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »
I've scaled the valley walls in a m4
I'd like to see that!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »
IMHO, from a game play perspective, this particular location is adequately balanced, and I can attest to this by playing both sides on numerous occasions.  If it wasn't, people wouldn't play there.  (Note that the clifftop spawn probably reduces the number of Tigers spawned by that side, thus compensating for the clifftop position advantage).  While it is balanced, it is assymetrical, but that is part of the attractiveness of it.  Again, the proof of the attractiveness of this spawn to most GVers is the fact that it is probably the most consistently populated GV location on Trinity.  Anything that induces more people to play has to be good for the game. 

BTW, Trinity tank town is little used because it doesn’t typically have the built-in occupancy indicator of a flashing base, which in turn says “Hey, I’m here; come and fight me”.  (Also, the symmetrical bowl-shaped center town is boring to fight in).  Unusually, last campaign, we did have a fair amount of Trinity TT activity, simply because Knights had captured one of the Rook and one of the Bishop bases, leaving a single Rook and Bishop base remaining.  This in turn put the remaining opposing bases closer together, and generated a lot of base raids, causing bases to flash, thus attracting other players and generating quite a few interesting GV battles.   

MH

If you read what you ignored an took out of context from my post, you would see how blatantly imbalanced it is.

This one-way conversation with you is mute/pointless unless you're willing to listen and accept it will (or, from our arguement, has to) change.

Good post but your wrong on one point, the walls of the valley are to steep to scale. There is no way to get a gv up there from the opposing base,,, I've tried!

I have been told it is possible but tricky, it was utilising the old "drive up steeper slopes backwards than is possible forwards" trick, and IDK if that is still possible after the many GV adjustments/revisions.

Edit: this issue has been known for as long as the map has been kept in rotation on the servers, it's anyone's guess over what comes first with it - its imbalances/issues being addressed or a successful and complete rotation in the LWMA.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:05:46 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

I agree that one bad thing about Trinity is those steep-walled canyons.  It should be possible to climb at some points.  MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
If you read what you ignored an took out of context from my post, you would see how blatantly imbalanced it is.

The only substantive portion of your post I ignored was the traditional toolshed-versus-furball theme (where you suggest that things which cause GVers to be "distracted" from the war, outside of Tank Town, are undesirable).  This is useless to respond to, because each of us has our preferences; I am a furball person; you appear to be a toolshedder.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:09:54 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »
I would like to see a video on how to get down if you do not want to be up there.  <snip>

You need to find a less-steep portion of the hill, and drive straight down.  I've never been able to do it safely at the spawn point; you have to drive a ways along the canyon.  Explore/practice offline.

MH

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
This is one spawn that get's a disproportionate amount of attention and usage.

Why take away the one thing that made this spawn as popular as it is?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »
This is one spawn that get's a disproportionate amount of attention and usage.

Why take away the one thing that made this spawn as popular as it is?

Because he is a "win the war" guy, and hasn't put adequate thought into the idea that others might have different preferences.  Why they have to take those particular 2 bases, when they have 100 others to choose from, is beyond me...

MH
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:59:00 AM by TDeacon »