Author Topic: 87G eny?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: 87G eny?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:50 PM »
Like i said it just seemed much easier to me. The il2 guns feel feeble, and the steep aoa usually find me hitting a tree :(

Don't go steep AoA on anything but a T-34 or a tank backed up against cover. When possible, i prefer a low-angle approach on the back of Panzer IV's and the side of M4's. Just keep your eyes peeled and make sure he doesn't have his turret pointed at you, or its gonna be a short flight.

If you want, I'm sure I or someone else could post vid of how to work an IL-2.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Condor11

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Jeez long ago someone told me to come in steep with il2s XD. Im gonna be very annoyed if ive been doing it wrong these years :(. No wonder i never got a tank kill with them.

Oh well, STUKAS ARE STILL SEXIER!!! :joystick:
In game: CoverNow
Formerly : Condor
"If you cannot respect the forum posting rules, do not expect to get a twinkie for it."-Skuzzy

***Alchemists***

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
As I mentioned, offline testing.  Since I keep having bad luck with tanks spawning to us (Rook/times I'm on), and the rarity of the Tiger and King Tiger in general, I did testing offline.  I have only ran into 1 T-34 since the G-2 was released, which I augured pushing a bad angle, and I haven't seen any Tiger's or KT's.  I'm having bad luck in my hunts. :bhead The G-2 is the only thing I've been flying to date (in terms of tank killing.  I do have 1 sortie in the 25H, which is another plane I use for tank killing, but I did not use it for that purpose).  That in it's own would indicate that it's my primary tank killer now.  Just because I'm just having crap luck in getting me some tanks, doesn't mean it's not my primary tank killer. :aok

I do wonder if there isn't some slight variance between offline and online though.  A while back I did a test with the Il-2 using the 23mm guns and found that you can destroy a Panzer with them, it took about half my ammo, but I managed. :)  I got lucking one night and ran into a Panzer when I upped an Il-2 with the 23's.  He wasn't moving and he even ignored me and kept shelling the town.  So I got the angles I used offline (which would normally have gotten me blasted by other tankers).  I pumped all my ammo into him, nothing.  So yeah, I wonder if there isn't a slight variance between offline and online. :headscratch:  I did this before the Panzer was updated mind you, so it may be different now.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:18 AM »
Last night I couldnt even punch thru a 251.

I have been expecting HTC would find an armor bug with the 251 for a long time now. Even a glancing blow at  3,835,300 ft lbs is going to have some effect on a vehicle that weighs a mere 8 tons. Sadly no.  :eek:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Now back to the subject of the g2. I have never been good at killing tanks with plane cannons (in fact i dont recall ever destroying one outright with il2 or hurri. But in a couple of sorties with the g2 yesterday i managed to kill over half a dozen. The key is to come in tree top level, and with very little angle of attack, squeeze off a few rounds from d600 or less. I manage to take out several panzers, t34s and m4s in this nature. Just aim for broadside shots or rear ones and youll have little trouble finding effect with 4-6 rounds.

-covernow

Thats very difficult cause the tank MGs alone, let alone cannon, will kill you in the 87G. Heres how it was used historically in war http://youtu.be/ccOXrfBZoLE As you can see The Germans didnt even come in at that steep an angle but killed many tanks with them. The 87G guns in the game are underpowered.

Condor if yu get a chance can you get some video on your tactics? :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Condor11

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
Thats very difficult cause the tank MGs alone, let alone cannon, will kill you in the 87G. Heres how it was used historically in war http://youtu.be/ccOXrfBZoLE As you can see The Germans didnt even come in at that steep an angle but killed many tanks with them. The 87G guns in the game are underpowered.

Condor if yu get a chance can you get some video on your tactics? :salute

Ill see about getting some. Hopefully i can find another v spawn in the ma that doesnt have ftrs swarming it.

-Covernow
"If you cannot respect the forum posting rules, do not expect to get a twinkie for it."-Skuzzy

***Alchemists***

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
I think part of the problem here is too many people think they are nascent Rudels and when the tanks aren't falling like chaff to them something is wrong with the guns.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
I think part of the problem here is too many people think they are nascent Rudels and when the tanks aren't falling like chaff to them something is wrong with the guns.

Yep, they expected the 37mm Flak 18 cannons to be one hit killers no matter where you hit the tank at and then start crying about how underpowered the cannons are and now removing F3 has made their life harder for them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Condor11

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
Yep, they expected the 37mm Flak 18 cannons to be one hit killers no matter where you hit the tank at and then start crying about how underpowered the cannons are and now removing F3 has made their life harder for them.

ack-ack

Of course. How could there be pilot error in a video game? If i point and shoot it should die   :joystick: :bhead

***Alchemists***

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
Of course. How could there be pilot error in a video game? If i point and shoot it should die   :joystick: :bhead

They are hitting 20mm to 25mm top plate with an advanced Tungsten AP projectile. They are supposed to be one volley killers.

As for F3? Well the flight game became a tank game. Go sit and camp, or fling from thousands of meters. Cant have tank killing airplanes, around airfields, interfering. :lol BTW whats your game name condor11?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
They are hitting 20mm to 25mm top plate with an advanced Tungsten AP projectile. They are supposed to be one volley killers.

And if you're coming in at too shallow or steep of an angle, those rounds are just wasted.  The problem isn't with the cannons.

ack-ack

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
Jeez long ago someone told me to come in steep with il2s XD. Im gonna be very annoyed if ive been doing it wrong these years :(. No wonder i never got a tank kill with them.

Oh well, STUKAS ARE STILL SEXIER!!! :joystick:

If you're new to tank-busting (and it sounds like you're newish) its better to do what works untill you're ready to move onto more difficult stuff.

Coming in at a high angle, and hitting the top armor is most effective in terms of hits needed to destroy a tank. However, its more difficult to do, and (depending on the angle) offers a smaller target. So you'll be aiming at a smaller target with a method thats more difficult to do. Result? Fewer rounds on target, more rounds expended, more difficulty in destroying the tank.

And if you're coming in at too shallow or steep of an angle, those rounds are just wasted.  The problem isn't with the cannons.

ack-ack

Ok, so people keep saying "its just the AoA", but is it just the AoA? I mean can these cannons infact one-shot (well, two; a round fired from each gun) a Panzer?

Because if they physically can't..... well, then I think a change in the GV damage model would be a fine addition to the wishlist.

I'll be trying it offline, would appreciate it if someone could try it in the TA or MA's.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »

Ok, so people keep saying "its just the AoA", but is it just the AoA? I mean can these cannons infact one-shot (well, two; a round fired from each gun) a Panzer?

Because if they physically can't..... well, then I think a change in the GV damage model would be a fine addition to the wishlist.

Yes they can, provided you come in at the correct dive angle.  Anything less than 20 degrees or more than 30 degrees isn't going to be very effective.  So far no one has offered any credible evidence there is anything wrong with the cannons.  Those that say the cannons are underpowered, it would be nice to see their films because it will most likely show they are not coming in at the correct dive angle and are either in too shallow or steep of an angle.  Player's have to remember that these aren't some magic one kill cannons no matter what angle you come in at or where you hit the tank.  It has a relatively small window where the cannons are effective, work outside of that window and your rounds won't be as effective.

ack-ack

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
Yes they can, provided you come in at the correct dive angle.  Anything less than 20 degrees or more than 30 degrees isn't going to be very effective. ack-ack

Why less than 20 degrees? Wouldn't a hit at 90 degrees on the top of the tank be ideal?