Author Topic: Equipment to improve AH play  (Read 5775 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Equipment to improve AH play
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »
I get that some do it to be immersed in the game (hell, I want a 109 or a P38 cockpit in my living room too), but some do it because they want to get the most advantages possible from buying stuff. I'm not gonna hate anyone for doing it, it's your money, if you worked for it, buy what you want. I just see it as money wasted.

And yes, maybe "bought skill" isn't the exact term I'm looking for, but you get what I'm trying to say, yea?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
I get that some do it to be immersed in the game (hell, I want a 109 or a P38 cockpit in my living room too), but some do it because they want to get the most advantages possible from buying stuff. I'm not gonna hate anyone for doing it, it's your money, if you worked for it, buy what you want. I just see it as money wasted.

And yes, maybe "bought skill" isn't the exact term I'm looking for, but you get what I'm trying to say, yea?

ya I think so...but they are just foolin themselves.....the ones buying all the fancy stuff hoping it will make them better....I have a feeling, more are buying it for immersion or just the fun/cool factor.

rudder peddles are a big help over a twisty :old:

that does not mean the guy with the rudder peddles is gonna win against everyone with a twisty...thats absurd thinking.

imagine a full motion F4U or Flying tiger simpit.....that would be awesomely fun.... :rock

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
HAL sensor stick, throttle, pedals.
triple screen is a nice plus for SA, but also a lot of fun.
having 59 FPS at all times is important also.

IMO TrackIR doesn't help anything.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
A "textile athlete" is what that kind of people are called here. Dependless whether they do sport or other activities.  :salute

@Noir: So you're using pedals with your T.16000m, if I understood you right? Have you found a way to eliminate the twisty function from the stick? Although it doesn't do anything in game, but sometimes it feels quite puzzling when the handle turns. My former sticks, two Logitechs and a T-flight Hotas had a screw to stop the handle from turning, this one doesn't have one.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
A "textile athlete" is what that kind of people are called here. Dependless whether they do sport or other activities.  :salute

@Noir: So you're using pedals with your T.16000m, if I understood you right? Have you found a way to eliminate the twisty function from the stick? Although it doesn't do anything in game, but sometimes it feels quite puzzling when the handle turns. My former sticks, two Logitechs and a T-flight Hotas had a screw to stop the handle from turning, this one doesn't have one.

no I didn't find a way, but I didn't look for it  :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
in world of tanks they call them wallet warrior.  While those who play for free are called welfare warriors.

spending more money buying equipment may actually improve your game.  Having 3 screens does give you more viewing area identifying possible threats better than those with only one.   trakir is very useful in tracking targets much better than hat.

having a good stick is better than a cheap one due to no spiking, easier to hold, etc.  Otherwise if it didn't make a difference you wouldn't have guys posting ten page threads arguing ch v saitek.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 02:38:08 AM »
having a good stick is better than a cheap one due to no spiking, easier to hold, etc. 
Cheap sticks can also be good, as I and Noir among others can tell. The Thrustmaster T.16000m has HAL sensors instead of pots which AFAIK means they would never spike. It fits my hand nicely and naturally, just as Logitechs do. It can be modified for a leftie, parts included. Even the base has symmetrical buttons on both sides. And it is cheap, about €45 incl VAT. I've tried both Saitek and CH sticks at cons, but somehow my hand - broad palm, size #10, relatively short fingers - just doesn't like them as much as these el-cheapos. I know I'm not the only one physically incompatible with CH, since there's been a bunch of pictures of raiser pads on the palm rest.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »
My Saitek V.1 Cyborg was $23 total, brand new, been working for the past 2 years, just like new, and I fly almost everyday.  ;) Some guys go out and buy these $200 sticks that just baffles me. Having 3 screens may help you identify threats, maybe....0.5 seconds faster than one with a single screen? It's called good SA. Sometimes when I fly, especially in multi-con engagements, I don't even need to track the other guy, because I saw where he flew past on my screen, I can picture it in the back of my head. Justify your money spending however you want, I'll gladly duel anyone with my $120 monitor 27" and my $23 joystick.

in world of tanks they call them wallet warrior.  While those who play for free are called welfare warriors.

spending more money buying equipment may actually improve your game.  Having 3 screens does give you more viewing area identifying possible threats better than those with only one.   trakir is very useful in tracking targets much better than hat.

having a good stick is better than a cheap one due to no spiking, easier to hold, etc.  Otherwise if it didn't make a difference you wouldn't have guys posting ten page threads arguing ch v saitek.

semp

semp

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
My Saitek V.1 Cyborg was $23 total, brand new, been working for the past 2 years, just like new, and I fly almost everyday.  ;) Some guys go out and buy these $200 sticks that just baffles me. Having 3 screens may help you identify threats, maybe....0.5 seconds faster than one with a single screen? It's called good SA. Sometimes when I fly, especially in multi-con engagements, I don't even need to track the other guy, because I saw where he flew past on my screen, I can picture it in the back of my head. Justify your money spending however you want, I'll gladly duel anyone with my $120 monitor 27" and my $23 joystick.

more screen surface is not about seeing planes earlier, its about to see planes you wouldn't have seen otherwise, Handling heavy furballs, seeing stuff without touching your hat. That said 27' is a very respectable size already.

A very precise stick won't change your duelling ability, but will help your aiming % for sure. Saitek sticks spike a lot.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
more screen surface is not about seeing planes earlier, its about to see planes you wouldn't have seen otherwise, Handling heavy furballs, seeing stuff without touching your hat. That said 27' is a very respectable size already.
Once I start getting into a furball with lots of cons around, I start looking around 360 degrees every 5 seconds. It takes maybe...1-1.5 second total to snap view around the whole cockpit. I'm not saying 3 monitors won't help, but I'm saying the amount of help they offer is pretty much almost nothing. With 3 screens, all you have to do is glance left and right. With 1 screen, you use your snap views to look left and right, which takes an extra .5 seconds, maybe 1 second. It's not hard to spot a sudden red icon in a blue/green environment, even if it is for a split second.

A very precise stick won't change your duelling ability, but will help your aiming % for sure. Saitek sticks spike a lot.
Never had a problem with mine.

semp

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
I had no problems with cheap saiteks either, until I had a better one then I realized the gap between the two.

Same with the 3 screens, I never really had a need for it, as SA was maybe my only strong point...but I stumbled across 2 free screens, and even if my desk is too small and the setup dodgy at best I wouldn't unplug them  :rock

now posting as SirNuke

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
you can look around but planes have blind spots and you can track them a lot easier with trakir than with just a hat switch.   anybody with trakir will tell you the difference it makes.

Some cheap sticks are very good but they also lack the zillion buttons that the more expensive sticks have.  Those buttons can be mapped so you don't have to touch the keyboard.   it does make a difference in a furball if you don't have to remove your hands from stick and throttle.

you can play the game with just the basic components and be very good, but you can improve just by getting a couple of things.

main thing is buy what you can afford.   it took me over 3 years to get what I have, it has improved both my game and gaming experience.   you may be happy with yours I'm extremely happy with mine.

semp

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
I bought a trackIR, waste of money really. I turns you into a 2 weeker instantly for no real benefit.

One problem is to move from your 4oc to your 8oc, you have to go through the 12oc like if you had a real neck. Nice realism but on the gaming view point its a clear disadvantage.

Also the aiming is problematic, you can't have any parasite movements with your head while adjusting for the shot and I just HAVE to bank my head when pressing the trigger.

If someone in Europe has interest I can Sell it for 100€.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
Some cheap sticks are very good but they also lack the zillion buttons that the more expensive sticks have.  Those buttons can be mapped so you don't have to touch the keyboard.   it does make a difference in a furball if you don't have to remove your hands from stick and throttle.
I partially agree, but: How many buttons do you really need or use in a furball? My bare necessities consist of a trigger, a throttle and an 8-view hat. "View up front" is nice when following an enemy plane although a general "View up" would work to all directions together with the hat. Tangents for Range and Channel added with a "Check6" button add politeness towards fellow countrymen. That counts five buttons, a hat and a slider. My first stick over ten years ago was a cheap Logitech Wingman and it had more than that.

But yes, it is nice to do things without moving your hands off the stick and throttle. OTOH, the real WW2 pilots didn't have too many buttons on their stick and throttle. Instead there were levers and knobs and buttons all over the cockpit. And of course they didn't need TrackIr or an 8-view hat to look around...

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
well you also got flaps, wep, comms both range and channel, check six, toggle zoom, zoom in/out, auto pilot (for pw), fire primary only , fire secondary only, fire all, select secondary, clipboard up/down.   man, you name it, it can be mapped.

semp