Author Topic: Nerd question for the coders.  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: Nerd question for the coders.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
Cool.

Have you worked for Johnson or Siemens?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »
Yes many years ago,some also on older GE and TI equipment this is from 82-95 era most of my plc stuff was done on A&B from 2/30  plc 3 to slc-100 slc-500 was just in first generation when I changed lives and began writing games. Man even some part numbers like 800T-A2A buttons and 802 part numbers come to mind.

BTW live 460v 60amp AB rotary disconnect switches to the forehead hurt and leave blisters. And smoke testing panels some times do smoke.

I did all from complete control design relay logic on up to 2000 I.O. panels including the design,all the way up to the inventory control DB interface on unix systems. Airport baggage handling sending the bag info between airports, building, and overall project management of both the mechanical, electrical, instillation and commissioning. 90% of the work was in material handling, some on furnace heat treating systems.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
Nice, I did building automation controls until the economy sh* the bed.  Mostly factories, colleges and hospitals.  480 hurts, 220 hurts more.  I started out with an outfit that would toss the word popsicle around when anyone complained about having to work on something live.  Then again the owner would get defensive about my opinion of his driving skills if I put buckled my seatbelt while he was driving.

I don't miss constantly being around and inside things that can kill me, although I do sometimes miss the excitement.  Once a coworker literally peed himself at my foundry account.  He was on their 40 acre roof when a crane operator turned the roof into a waveform and blew all the doors off his side of the building.

If I ever start an electronics manufacturing company, my products will contain enough smoke to fail twice.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
Being around the live stuff never really bothered me. The 180 DC is the stuff that made me the most nervous, I would never go near that stuff with out locked out cab.

The one part I miss is the commissioning/installations.   I used to love crawling all around the factories looking at different equipment.
Don't miss the travel and hotels though.

HiTech

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
Being around it never bothered me... Aside from one penthouse at one customer's foundry.  We had to climb on 14,400 volt lines to get into it.

What made me uneasy at times was being required to work on 3 phase equipment while it was live.

Offline amulford

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 07:10:02 AM »
3 PIDS could run the plane's control surfaces.

Yes, they will.  I misunderstood your question, thinking you were talking of the device.  My apologies.
StraBult - FSO C/O ClaimJumpers

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
Yes many years ago,some also on older GE and TI equipment this is from 82-95 era most of my plc stuff was done on A&B from 2/30  plc 3 to slc-100 slc-500 was just in first generation when I changed lives and began writing games. Man even some part numbers like 800T-A2A buttons and 802 part numbers come to mind.

BTW live 460v 60amp AB rotary disconnect switches to the forehead hurt and leave blisters. And smoke testing panels some times do smoke.

I did all from complete control design relay logic on up to 2000 I.O. panels including the design,all the way up to the inventory control DB interface on unix systems. Airport baggage handling sending the bag info between airports, building, and overall project management of both the mechanical, electrical, instillation and commissioning. 90% of the work was in material handling, some on furnace heat treating systems.

See rule 12

:D
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME