Author Topic: Empire Total War  (Read 2326 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Re: Empire Total War
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
They didn't dissapear from the field, i just cant recruit any more. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
Yep. It's a shame really. You miss out on a lot of good ones if you don't recruit them in time.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 07:37:28 PM »
The only one I really wanted that I dont have is Lee.  I have stonewall Jackson, Longstreet and Beauregard.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Have you managed to get any of the "better" CSA units yet? Like the Stonewall Brigade and Hood's Texans. They sure are rock solid in battle.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
Yeah ive got most of the good units grouped into one army in northern Virginia right now.  I have all the stonewall brigades and all the confederate sharpshooters backed by 4 units of 3" ordinance rifles and a few cavalry units.  Freakin unstoppable.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
I only ever played as the Union (of course). My favorite tactic was usually to hold the main armies busy in the east and send a large Cavalry army or two raiding the west for as long as possible destroying their strategics and infrasturucture. Best campaign I ever had actually had the Union win the war by the summer of 1863, basically by using US Grant's tactics right from the start and using your larger numbers to wear them down and tear everything up while they're busy. I think it ended up with all of the Confederacy gutted and reconquered, and three barely intact armies left in Virginia. Last turn had four almost full armies hit them at once- was a slaughter.

I can't remember which ACW mod I used though, might not have been that one. This was a good year or so ago, then I got bored with it.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:43 AM »
I love the Total War series, but after about... oh 2 summers of almost non-stop play in R:TW's SPQR mod I've been extremely burnt out on the series.  If you like horrifyingly large and numerous battles (Try 5-10 in a slow turn once it gets going.)  Then that was the mod for you.  I ended up killing over a million Macedonians over something like 45 turns in two or three months of playing every day for hours and hours a day.  I could only afford, I think it was 6 legions at the time, and I'd make enough headway to get close to a city before having to pull back and reconstitute that legion they were so torn up.  I'd crush 5-6, 7 if I was lucky armies in a turn with a single legion, and make two steps of progress before having to retreat.

Finally scraped the money together for a fleet to fend of the pirates and outflank the Macedonian hordes and take Greece, and then the Germans hacked their way through the last of the Gauls and invaded and I was done.

Only played about 100 hours of Empire total war, not as nice as the N:TW mod for the old Medieval:TW.  I really like their style, but I like the new logistics introduced into Empire.  Just wish it was more in depth and that armies required supply trains.  And I wish to God that they would stop calling 120 man formations regiments. That's a company, damnit, not a Regiment.  A real regiment, before being carved up in battle, would have the same number of men as half the armies running around in that game.

But that's my only real complaint.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:17:30 AM »
I only ever played as the Union (of course). My favorite tactic was usually to hold the main armies busy in the east and send a large Cavalry army or two raiding the west for as long as possible destroying their strategics and infrasturucture. Best campaign I ever had actually had the Union win the war by the summer of 1863, basically by using US Grant's tactics right from the start and using your larger numbers to wear them down and tear everything up while they're busy. I think it ended up with all of the Confederacy gutted and reconquered, and three barely intact armies left in Virginia. Last turn had four almost full armies hit them at once- was a slaughter.

I can't remember which ACW mod I used though, might not have been that one. This was a good year or so ago, then I got bored with it.

Well I have hit a stalemate.  I am playing as the confederacy and have cleared Maryland of Union forces and captured Washington D.C.  :rock but thats where the fun ends.  I have 2 full strength armies in the area under Generals Jackson and Longstreet, But the union Forces have built up over 10,000 men around Philadelphia.  Both sides have tried to advance but it always ends in a draw with both sides too weak to follow up the attack.  It is March 1863.  Meanwhile my army in the west has moved into Western New York and encountered the Union forces there and ground to a stalemate as well.  I just hope this doesnt end like the real life story.  I hope I dont get cocky and get my butt kicked during an invasion of Pennsylvania.  :O 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
man, i should learn not to look at these discussions, ends up costing me money...a civil war mod?  :O   :x   :x   :x

what addons/mods do i need to get the "full experience"?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
man, i should learn not to look at these discussions, ends up costing me money...a civil war mod?  :O   :x   :x   :x

what addons/mods do i need to get the "full experience"?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1627

Go here to get the Civil War Mod. You should also have the Warpath DLC installed so that you can play on the enlarged campaign map in game. To play on the Warpath map, go to the top of the screen to "Campaigns" when you first click on the launcher, you will see Warpath there. That's all you need to play. Be prepared to say goodbye to your life :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:55:15 PM by DaveJ »
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
I took Washington, fortified it with two grand armies under Lee and Jackson, Stonewalls and every other elite unit as well as some considerable Howitzers and Ordinance Rifles. Routed Ulysses S Grant's entire Army of the Potomac using Texas Rangers to run them down. And then marched a huge army up the western valley towards New York. Volunteer Infantry and Confederate Cavalry with Howitzers and Horse Artillery (The sharp shooters are all in the East with the Elite Armies). After defeating the Western Army, I signed a peace treaty with Lincoln and then signed trade deals with every nation I could.

Now the South is an industrial AND agricultural juggernaut. I'm maintaining three seriously dangerous army and turning a 10,000 gold profit.  :rock
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
Just took Washington as well in an epic battle. Had my "Robert E. Lee" Army barely hold off two Union Armies before my "Stonewall Jackson" army arrived at the last minute to complete the victory. CSA Sharpshooters are absolutely immense. Had them defending a battery of horse artillery on high ground, and they held off regiment after regiment of Federals climbing the hill to get to my guns. It was incredible. They are so accurate and don't take many casualties. My cannons were firing canister point blank into the Federals as well, and needed a last ditch cavalry charge to prevent them from being over run. Artillery is so deadly and effective in this mod if you employ it effectively.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
Sharpshooters must be one of those units that's great if you use them, but the AI doesn't know how, because I've never had any issues with them. Just hold their attention with an equal number of regiments of infantry and flank them, or just bombard them with artillery until they're depleted enough to be overrun. They've never really given me any problems.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
Sharpshooters must be one of those units that's great if you use them, but the AI doesn't know how, because I've never had any issues with them. Just hold their attention with an equal number of regiments of infantry and flank them, or just bombard them with artillery until they're depleted enough to be overrun. They've never really given me any problems.

Same here. The AI just places them in front of their main battle line to act as de facto "skirmishers", which is an absolute waste because they can torn apart by artillery and eventually my infantry when they get into range. I always place sharpshooters on my flanks or on high ground, preferably in woods or behind a stone wall where they can find cover and be concealed a little. I also use them to quickly flank around the enemy when they advance close to my main battle line, so that I can hit them from the flank/rear and provide enfilading fire, which destroys the morale of the enemy.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
I have some of the others in the series, but only tried the Demo today. Seemed pretty good, but I didn't think much to the AI.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho