Author Topic: Great photo....  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: Great photo....
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
from the link Buster provided

The article also points out that it was  a training run which explains why they were using water at the time.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
I hear the DC-10 was a pilot's plane. I remember talking to a few guys who had flown it, and they loved it.

The aircraft can be loaded with fire fighting liquids in "as little as eight minutes"  WOW!
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
wouldnt it be cheaper to control burn any areas predicted to be at risk?

If only you guys had some kind of vehicle that could deliver large amounts of incendiary devices accurately from the air. and lots of them ... ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
wouldnt it be cheaper to control burn any areas predicted to be at risk?

If only you guys had some kind of vehicle that could deliver large amounts of incendiary devices accurately from the air. and lots of them ... ;)

We mount them on the roofs of apartment buildings.   :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
:D

I was thinking Buffs - how many you got operational or on standby? Like Arclight but with incediaries designed for controlled burn would create quite an effective firebreak. cheap too, way under $1/lb I imagine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:41:29 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
:D

I was thinking Buffs - how many you got operational or on standby? Like Arclight but with incediaries designed for controlled burn would create quite an effective firebreak. cheap too, way under $1/lb I imagine.

Glad you have a sense of humor  :aok

I know that in some instances, controlled burns get OUT of control.  I have never experienced the Santa Ana winds in California , but I hear they can turn a campfire into a conflagration in short order.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
  The natural cycle of fire helps the forest by clearing the dead wood and brush but we have altered that cycle by putting fires out. Now when they get out of control they have plenty of fuel.

The DC-10 is a good plane with decent engines. I remember fueling them at ACY in the early 80's.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »
I heard the last forest fire in France was on the German border.....it Surrendered when the German firefighters showed up  :O :bolt:

Another good shot

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:42:10 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
If you can't drop the water precisely nor reload in flight at the nearby lake your fire will stay the size of France. BTW that was almost funny, good try.

It actually drops fire retardent/chemicals infront of the path of a fire.  When fighting a fire the size of France, it is much easier (and a lot safer) to utilise an army of resources to contain it and let it burn itself out rather than utterly defeat it.

It's size and range and payload enable it to fly very long distances into rural areas and drop precisely a very long long line of retardent, essentialy creating instantly a seamless defencive line stretching nearly a mile in otherwise inaccessable terrain.

There are other aircraft that I think are more impressive, think medium sized (well, large for a sea plane) and capable of skimming a large body of water to rapidly refill tons of water, then flying to drop it and imediatley repeating the process.  If weather and conditions are right, they can have a serious impact.  That is their downside though to something like the DC-10 though, they cost more for maintenance and need good weather and conditions to rapidly refuel off water surfaces.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:36:59 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
60,000-pound loads of water and fire retardant

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
     Think that is the last one of the four they started with.  Saw a very impressive video of it being preflighted.  The flight engineer climbed out
onto the horizontal stab to use a DOOR built into the verticle stab to inspect it.  That and the seemingly miles long flight deck were very
memorable.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
Could an airship with a hose connected with a pumping station on ground be developed? So it could spray continuously from air... airplanes carrying water look so inefficient.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 01:23:23 AM »
Could an airship with a hose connected with a pumping station on ground be developed? So it could spray continuously from air... airplanes carrying water look so inefficient.

Considering the turbulence over a fire an airship is the last thing I'd want to be in.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
     Think that is the last one of the four they started with.  Saw a very impressive video of it being preflighted.  The flight engineer climbed out onto the horizontal stab to use a DOOR built into the verticle stab to inspect it.  That and the seemingly miles long flight deck were very memorable.

I believe the Mars was featured in one of the Great Planes show. The a/c was vandalized just recently, http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/165337196.html

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
God bless the guys...working hard & dangerous all around boisterous right now...they're trying hard to save Featherville right now. Its one of the best Atv/snowmobiling areas in Idaho &Anderson Ranch d :prayam has the best Kokanee fishing I know of.  :pray  :rock
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,