Author Topic: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »
... damage it (accumlates hit points) so that future shots to that wing are on a weakend wing?

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
  If I recall correctly, when you end the sortie, you get a brand new plane for the next one. 

But scrapping the wing on the ground does give everyone else a good laugh.   :lol
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
  If I recall correctly, when you end the sortie, you get a brand new plane for the next one. 

But scrapping the wing on the ground does give everyone else a good laugh.   :lol

Understood with a new sortie.  I'm asking about this in reference to the same sortie.  I frequently scrape my wing on take off on purpose turning and lifting quickly.  Does this weaken the wing for when I get into a fight later in the same sortie?

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
Understood with a new sortie.  I'm asking about this in reference to the same sortie.  I frequently scrape my wing on take off on purpose turning and lifting quickly.  Does this weaken the wing for when I get into a fight later in the same sortie?

Yes, it's damaging to the wing, why are you scraping  your wing on purpose?  You are doing yourself a disservice.  The art of flying is easy to learn with the understanding of a few basic concepts.  Allowing the earth to touch any part of your aircraft except for the bottom of your wheels is a recipe for disaster.  It sounds like you are trying to turn on course to soon.  Take off is very easy to accomplish, Roll onto the runway, slowly advance the throttle, maintain directional control with rudder steering, as airspeed builds, raise the tail (conventional gear) to the takeoff attitude, ensure that full throttle has been applied, wait for aircraft to fly off the runway.  Slowly lower nose and allow aircraft to accelerate to climb speed.   Climb out, raise gear, flaps and finally turn on course. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
or use auto takeoff. :O

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »
or use auto takeoff. :O
not always that simple
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
Just trying to help a rookie.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »

Seriously? 

Why would you do a stupid thing like that? 
"You rebel scum"

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
Seriously?  

Why would you do a stupid thing like that?  

:O Bad guy is barrelling down :joystick: on me  :frown: trying to vulch, I'm turning, trying to lift asap :airplane: to get off the runway :uhoh and out of his guns.  :cry  When I do get up  :bolt: and get him :joystick:, I'm off looking for other cons :huh, not knowing if my wing scraping :headscratch: on the concrete caused any damage  :confused: (or weakened it)... ergo my :headscratch: question. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:01:02 PM by Midway »

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
You're taking off from a capped field, partaking in a vulchfest instead of taking off 1 field back and coming in with a much more controllable situation, and you're worried you might bend your wingtip, resulting in fewer HP's for your wing? 

The answer to your question is this:  It doesn't matter.  You're in a capped field, and there are tons of bad guys gunning for you.  Even if it DID make a huge difference, it really wouldn't matter, because you're a dead man flying any way you look at that situation. 

Vulchfests are the reward for the people who establish complete air supremacy over your field.  You can either pad their scores, or catch 'em unawares from behind and above- that's WAY more fun, and smart.
"You rebel scum"

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
You're taking off from a capped field, partaking in a vulchfest instead of taking off 1 field back and coming in with a much more controllable situation, and you're worried you might bend your wingtip, resulting in fewer HP's for your wing?  

The answer to your question is this:  It doesn't matter.  You're in a capped field, and there are tons of bad guys gunning for you.  Even if it DID make a huge difference, it really wouldn't matter, because you're a dead man flying any way you look at that situation.  

Vulchfests are the reward for the people who establish complete air supremacy over your field.  You can either pad their scores, or catch 'em unawares from behind and above- that's WAY more fun, and smart.

Did I say tons of bad guys? :headscratch:  Don't think so.   Think I said a bad "guy" -- not "guys".

Regardless of the situation, I just want to get a clear answer to my question.  I suspect scraping a wing does not weaken it in AH.  Just wanted confirmation. :)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
Did I say tons of bad guys? :headscratch:  Don't think so.   Think I said a bad "guy" -- not "guys".

Regardless of the situation, I just want to get a clear answer to my question.  I suspect scraping a wing does not weaken it in AH.  Just wanted confirmation. :)

You say that you are interested in a clear answer to your question.  I didn't think my answer could get any clearer then the one I provided so here it is again "Yes, it's damaging to the wing"  Do you underestand my answer?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
You say that you are interested in a clear answer to your question.  I didn't think my answer could get any clearer then the one I provided so here it is again "Yes, it's damaging to the wing"  Do you underestand my answer?

Depends.  Are you an authority on the subject?  Was really looking for an HTC answer, but if you're an authority... well, then I can take that answer as gospel. :headscratch:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
Depends.  Are you an authority on the subject?  Was really looking for an HTC answer, but if you're an authority... well, then I can take that answer as gospel. :headscratch:

Just like scraping your props on the ground can damage them, so can dragging your wings on the ground.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
Just like scraping your props on the ground can damage them, so can dragging your wings on the ground.  

ack-ack

Also damage is cumulative,thats why sometime you see a single ping removal of a wing as someone else has already done most of the damage.

Probably not a good idea in any event!

YMMV.

:salute