Author Topic: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Does scraping the wing on the ground a lot on takeoff....
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »
striking the ground with a wing you are inflicting some type of cumulative damage.

I would really like to see proof of that.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
I would really like to see proof of that.

Me too. 

Traveler, I appreciate your view but am looking for a definative answer.  If you have some form of proof or can speak with certainty for HTC, I can certainly accept that.  Pyro's post seems to indicate it causes no weakness in the wing.  You seem to think it does.  I'm thinking Pyro's answer is correct.  Do you disagree and if so, why?

As far as why I ask here. It is because others may be interested in the answer.  I am thinking this help forum section is the proper place to ask the question, get an official and correct answer, and let others benefit from the information as to how AH really works.

Please don't be offended because I don't accept your answer without proof or official confirmation.  I just want the correct answer.  Don't you?

:salute

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Well I hope you don't feel "special" Traveler, Midway post ONLY to get attention, ANY attention including people explaining their answers trying to "help" him.

Give it up, and in Midways case add him to the "ignore list". Personally I can't see why a player who alienates so many other players is allowed to continue in the game and on the boards.

What a sad statement, Fugitive.  I believe and hope that you're smarter than this sounds.

I post this question to get a correct answer.  Has nothing to do with attention.  That's just silly. :rolleyes:

You seem to be rubbed the wrong way by my personality.  That's ok, we all have people we just find it difficult to get along with.  I have good friends too, as I'm sure you do.   We'll likely just have to agree to disagree on some issues.  Ignore me if that helps you somehow.  I won't ignore you, because I do find value in many of your posts (or humour). :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
Krusty, need any volunteers in a jeep to shoot your wingtips off after consistently dragging them down a few lengths of runway?  :x  :aok
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 06:19:08 PM »
I believe it would cause some level of damage and here's why:

You can bend a prop on a tree (and remain flying) or break the gear by hitting them too hard on touchdown.  You can also flatten and kill an engine on a 262 by slapping the ground with it.  I've done all these things and can attest they do damage.  As an extension of that then I would assume hitting those parts more gently would also cause damage but not to the point of failure.  If I can make that assumption then by extension I'd have to believe hitting any part of your plane on the ground would cause some level of damage.  Taken to it's extreme I've ripped the wings and/or tail sections off my plane on a crash landing or ditch so again, I have no reason to believe what Midway describes does no damage even though it hasn't caused immediate failure of the affected part.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
I believe it would cause some level of damage and here's why:

You can bend a prop on a tree (and remain flying) or break the gear by hitting them too hard on touchdown.  You can also flatten and kill an engine on a 262 by slapping the ground with it.  I've done all these things and can attest they do damage.  As an extension of that then I would assume hitting those parts more gently would also cause damage but not to the point of failure.  If I can make that assumption then by extension I'd have to believe hitting any part of your plane on the ground would cause some level of damage.  Taken to it's extreme I've ripped the wings and/or tail sections off my plane on a crash landing or ditch so again, I have no reason to believe what Midway describes does no damage even though it hasn't caused immediate failure of the affected part.

Pryo's comment though makes it sound like it does no damage.  I wish HTC would weigh in and provide an answer.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »

Also damage is cumulative,thats why sometime you see a single ping removal of a wing as someone else has already done most of the damage.

Probably not a good idea in any event!

YMMV.

If the wing tip hits the ground the damage should be added to what would fall off as the wing tip.

scrape one wing then have some one shoot it with a m3 gun. count the hit till the wing tip falls off. now shoot the undamaged wing tip.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
<snip>  I wish HTC would weigh in and provide an answer.

Maybe HTC personnel have better things to do that constantly answer some peoples seemingly neverending off the wall questions.
FYI, it's Pyro
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
Maybe HTC personnel have better things to do that constantly answer some peoples seemingly neverending off the wall questions.
FYI, it's Pyro

You're saying you're Pyro?  Is so, please yes or no... does scraping a wing on the ground cause weakening of the wing when there is no damage listed on the damage report?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
You're saying you're Pyro?  Is so, please yes or no... does scraping a wing on the ground cause weakening of the wing when there is no damage listed on the damage report?

Funny how someone can type something and you get something completely different from it, then again it doesn't surprise me at all.
Show me where I say I'm Pyro???

How this???? any clearer?
Pryo's comment though makes it sound like it does no damage.  <snip>

FYI, it's Pyro.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »
Funny how someone can type something and you get something completely different from it, then again it doesn't surprise me at all.
Show me where I say I'm Pyro???

How this???? any clearer?
FYI, it's Pyro.

Yes, it's clearer... but all Pyro said was don't worry about it, it will buff right out. That could imply the damage is very small.  Traveller and others are of the opinion it does cause damage.  I would just like a clear yes or no. :bhead

Seems to me to be a reasonable request in the "help" section... but maybe I'm wrong. :headscratch:

FYI, it's who. :)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
Yes, it's clearer... but all Pyro said was don't worry about it, it will buff right out. That could imply the damage is very small.  Traveller and others are of the opinion it does cause damage.  I would just like a clear yes or no. :bhead

Re: Damage model -- wingtip versus runway
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
As long as you don't do any structural damage, don't worry about the scrapes.  They'll buff right out.

You've been answered.
JG 52

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
yes, you are wrong.

Are you out of your mind?

The world does not revolve around you, and your silly question has been answered in a silly way.  If you want proof, test it yourself.   :aok

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

Re: Damage model -- wingtip versus runway
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
As long as you don't do any structural damage, don't worry about the scrapes.  They'll buff right out.

You've been answered.

Ok, I accept that... had a bit of doubt, but it makes sense now.  Scraping the wing on the concrete does not weaken or damage the wing in any way as long as the damage text list shows no damage.

I'll take that as the truth from HTC.  Hopefully others that read or posted here learned something as well.  Thank you. :)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »
Ok, I accept that... had a bit of doubt, but it makes sense now.  Scraping the wing on the concrete does not weaken or damage the wing in any way as long as the damage text list shows no damage.

I'll take that as the truth from HTC.  Hopefully others that read or posted here learned something as well.  Thank you. :)

I don't think scraping the wing causes... damage over all - for example I bounce quite hard when I land, I never had landing gears shed off.... Now if you take off and forget to raise your landing gears they will shed off after you get some speed.
I do know if you bump a building doing 5mph it will shred a wing right off even if you barely touch the wingtip, few times I've taken off I've scrapped a few wings, hell I even had one spin me 90 degrees around.

Its a bit surprisingly that we don't have it modeled for damage, if you scrap a wingtip wouldn't it come off? or seriously damage the wing? I wouldn't think so since there are no major... systems int he wing tips, maybe a Spitfire with the outboard .303, but I dont
think it would be damaged by scraping wings.
my 2 cents
JG 52