Author Topic: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues  (Read 10975 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
I agree that this is the most interesting thread in years on this portion of the board. I've got your pic as my background pic - I occasionally see one of my kids flipping through lion statue pictures on google.
We were considering mapping the 180th's entire journey and checking towns each path along their way.

If you end up doing this to help me and my family, I would be more than grateful.  :salute

Thank you.

At this point, we're just finding and scanning whatever we can manage to dig up. We actually have a surprising number of 45th Infantry Division newspapers and newspaper clippings (which is more or less rare since the ink on the paper was acidic so many of them have been destroyed just by father time itself)

I've also been googling the names on the G company roster that have an "ok" next to their names. If I'm lucky, I might be able to contact one of them and get some more of my grandfather's story from him before it's too late.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but am going to give it another round of searching
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
I'm friends w/nerds Twitter & shared e/them. Please let me know if you object so I may take it down if that is your wish.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
I'm happy to see it back since the mystery wasn't solved.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
I did find what I think are replica statues of this,  by Antoine Louis Barye (Le Lion Qui Marche). It feels like progress, even though it may not be.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:43:29 PM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
I'm looking again.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
I hadn't read through earlier pages that Masher found a bunch of the same stuff already.

Keep goin, y'all!
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
Yes. It is.

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-32937338/stock-photo-statue-of-lyric-opera-before-teatro-massimo,-palermo,-italy

It's not.
Maybe similar lion, but they're footfalls are wrong in relation to the stairs, which have been that steep since before 1900.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
LOL.

There was a lot of shade tossed in this thread - Wow!

Can't we all just get along?
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
LOL.

There was a lot of shade tossed in this thread - Wow!

Can't we all just get along?

You realize this is a very old thread....  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
A very old thread in which no answer was provided.

Just a lot of toejam talking, then silence.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »
*NOW* I remember why there was shade... and not getting along...

<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »
This was a fun read. A very interesting conundrum, indeed. I think Teatro Massimo's "Lyric" is not an option. Even if the lion depicted in the picture was not the same one that is currently there, the pedestals have not changed. Here is a photo from before the war, maybe even well before the war. As you can see, the pedestals have not changed. They certainly were not removed during the war and then put back after the war. Even if the statues were indeed replaced for safekeeping, they did not remove the pedestals and place little, short ones (depicted in photo) in their place. From what I can tell, the building facade in the background is definitely of Anglo-Saxon art. The Italians use round shapes, the Germans, Dutch, and English use straight lines. I think what we are looking for here is either in Germany or England.

C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
I agree.

Here's where he would have been:

Sicily, Jul 1943
Salerno, Sep 1943
Anzio, Jan 1944 (1plus thought it's after this point due to his weight loss)
Rome, June 1944
St. Maxime Fr Aug 1944
thru France through October 1944
Mutzig, Maginot Line 1944
Aschaffenburg, Nurnberg Jan 1945
Dachau Apr 1945
Munich thru VEday
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
I know this is gonna be another crazy bump, but I was searching again through online records and came across this thread. I haven't been on the AH forums for nearly 7 or 8 years.

We've scanned more of his stuff and I'm going to request his records (if they survived that fire in the 70s).

That TV show on Netflix, The Liberator, covered a lot of the stuff he was involved in (though a different regiment). The book is better, but Flint Whitlock's The Rock of Anzio is MUCH better read in my opinion. If anyone is interested in the Italian Campaign, it's a great book written when many of the Greatest Generation was still there to put their own words to the pages.

Interesting fact, one of the names on that Unit Roster of his (Jack Treadwell) ended up earning himself the Medal of Honor in a different Company later in the war.

Not so long ago when I was on Sand Hill at Ft Benning, my Company was attached to the 3-47 Barracks as our Battalion Barracks (2-29) had not been finished yet. Those Barracks are named after him and I got to talk quite a bit with my cadre about my family history with the Army. Being in the Texas Army National Guard and now being a member of the 36th Infantry Division with a battle history that shared many triumps and tragedies with the 45th Infantry Division is something I take great pride in. I met some 45th Brigade (Oklahoma's guard unit) when I was at Airborne School and they're great guys who follow that same lineage. One was in the 180th before it converted to a Cav Regiment.

One of the crazier letters he wrote that my father had photocopied and sent to me when I was there was him talking about their breakout from the Anzio beachhead. They rucked for 7 days and nights chasing the German Army stopping to eat maybe once a day. Whitlock's book describes the same scene my grandfather wrote about in his letters about them using smelling salts to wake guys up who passed out in the middle of the road.

Another sobering fact was him talking about how after the Anzio campaign, there were less than 10 guys he had landed on Sicily with. I also learned that he had been in Naples recovering from a severe case of Pneumonia when his company had earned their Presidential Unit Citation and William Johnson had earner his Medal of Honor. The Pneumonia that nearly killed him at the same time, probably saved his life. G Company was nearly totally annihilated in that action, with a handful more survivors than Felix Sparks' I/157.

I hope all of you guys here are doing good. Mods, I hope this doesn't get you too upset but I couldn't help but reply to this after seeing all the due diligence TxMom had put forth researching this on behalf of my family. TxMom, thank you very much. We appreciate this more than you know after all of these years.

I practically grew up playing this game and playing here so it's good to see some familiar names after all of these years. I'm not a kid like I was and I hope I'm not as dumb as I was when yall knew me.

<S> 1pLUs44
No one knows what the future may bring.