Author Topic: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues  (Read 10966 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
no need, Ive seen girls with fat arses riding bareback sidesaddle, and it pretty much looks like that. Ive even tried it myself. I slid off :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
Look at the angles and anatomy, and I think you'll see where this doesn't work (Google some side saddle images for more clarity, you can find a rider in the same position as the supposed rider on the lion).

When riding side saddle, the rider's forward knee is almost always higher than her pelvis; sometimes nearly level with it, but seldom lower than it.  It is is arguably lower, the angle is very slight.

That would mean the "lion rider" would have to be facing backwards, so what we see as potentially her knee would actually be her buttock.  If it is her buttock that angles down and to the left, she's also nearly falling off of the lion.  In order to get her left cheek that low she'd need to be facing backward,leaning way over, and sticking her rump out (towards us).  Very odd.

Now, look at the folds, and try to envision how they'd occur.  They wouldn't occur "naturally" at all.  They almost have to be forced.

I'm not positive it isn't part of the statue, and that it isn't a rider, but I highly doubt it.  I can't wait to see it positively identified.

I am very convinced its not part of the statue...I feel a bit ashamed I didn't pick right up on it. :o

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
no need, Ive seen girls with fat arses riding bareback sidesaddle, and it pretty much looks like that. Ive even tried it myself. I slid off :D

Of what, lions or fat chicks? :banana:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
 :lol
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is a picture of my grandfather at some point during the second world war. He was in the 45th Infantry Division from the beginning of the war to the end (G Co. 180th Infantry regiment)

My dad and I are finally starting to put together some of his old war letters and photos and we can't seem to find out where this picture was taken. I googled around but I haven't seen anything familiar and I was wondering if anybody may be familiar with where this statue is located so we can have a good idea of when this picture was taken.

Edit: There appears to be some kind of writing on the statue (Le Lura, or something like that) that I thought I should point out. I searched the phrase but still couldn't find anything.

The top of the picture is too clean of a straight line.  Can you post it again and show the full top edge... There may be a little more of what's on the lion's back that might help.

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »
It is Lyric Opera. The fabric you see is the womans dress and from the rear end.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:02:56 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Ive even tried it myself. I slid off :D

Exactly.  That's my point.  It's not a woman riding side saddle.

BTW, Google shows all sorts of body-types riding side saddle.  None of them line up with what we see on the saddle.

Maybe it's because the gals in the photos aren't falling off?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »
It is Lyric Opera. The fabric you see is the womans dress and rearend.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nope, click on the link I posted above.  It shows the same statue from the rear.

Not even similar if you compare the two pictures.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
The image you posted is from another site and another sculptor. Two completely different interpretations. The theme of Lyric Opera is a common one across Italy and Europe but the point is this soldier was in Palermo so the opera is the only place that photo could have been taken.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
The image you posted is from another site and another sculptor. Two completely different interpretations. The theme of Lyric Opera is a common one across Italy and Europe but the point is

Awesome!

Please post a photo that shows the part of the statue that matches the one the OP has posted.  I for one would like to see proof, rather than taking your word for it.  I've looked at a bunch of photos of those statues, and haven't found any that match yet.  I'm intrigued.

this soldier was in Palermo so the opera is the only place that photo could have been taken.

False logic, of course.  He was nowhere else?  Photos could not have been taken of him in any other location?

Let's ask the OP...  Are there any other known photos of this gentleman, taken anywhere else in the world?  Maybe at somebodies wedding or birthday?
MtnMan

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
if this were true according to the locations of the statue his grandpa would have to be about 16 feet tall. The other statue would be in the backround. You are wrong.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Challenge hates admitting he is wrong.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
The image you posted is from another site and another sculptor. Two completely different interpretations. The theme of Lyric Opera is a common one across Italy and Europe but the point is this soldier was in Palermo so the opera is the only place that photo could have been taken.

I may have misunderstood you.  You are not stating that these are the same statue, correct?

Unfortunately, "across Italy and Europe" is a fairly large expanse, so doesn't really answer the question of where this statue is.

Also, since some lions are sculpted without any attempt to tie to that theme we cannot conclusively state that the one in question is meant to, correct?

It would be easy to dismiss this and just claim it's a lion from Palermo because it was the first one that jumped out at us.

The challenge is to identify the specific statue and location.

Don't give up so easily.
MtnMan

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
mountian man use your fancy interwebz tricks to compare the columbia lion statue with the original would ya?  :cheers:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
I may have misunderstood you.  You are not stating that these are the same statue, correct?

I already told you that the setting has changed (the opera house was rebuilt/remodelled in the 1990s) and the statues from 1944 were different statues in order to protect the originals. Yes you can find "Lyric Opera" in many cities across Italy and Europe as a whole. Even Paris and some southern French cities have the same statue but by different artisans. You dont hire a sculptor from Italy to make a statue in France any more than you hire one from Palermo to make a statue in Celano.

Instead of debunking the statue use you elite skills to find another statue that matches the photo from the OP.