Author Topic: Computer controlled 5" puffy should not damage friendly aircraft  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: Computer controlled 5" puffy should not damage friendly aircraft
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Because the flak won't kill the bombers, the bombers WILL kill the CV, then who cares if you intercept them or not?

You want realism?  Make 88 gunners have to move to the fusing station to change the altitude on their shell bursts, make 88's, 5", and field guns hit friendly aircraft... the absurdity is that it's computer controlled, it one shots fighters, and it's not even projectile based (i.e., watch an 88 fire, you can see the shell) - it just "happens".

agreed
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
Because the flak won't kill the bombers, the bombers WILL kill the CV, then who cares if you intercept them or not?

You want realism?  Make 88 gunners have to move to the fusing station to change the altitude on their shell bursts, make 88's, 5", and field guns hit friendly aircraft... the absurdity is that it's computer controlled, it one shots fighters, and it's not even projectile based (i.e., watch an 88 fire, you can see the shell) - it just "happens".

thats why you intercept the bombers long before their drop. if your sitting over your cv waiting your doing it wrong. AA Flak is fine and if you make it all man guns then there will be no defense for cv's in lo population hours.

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »
Carrier ack is horribly represented in the game. With that said, no, I know when I am going after something in my own ack that I am running a risk. That is why I do not engage there, only outside of the ack. I do like the idea of the 88 getting everyone. I am also all for CV ack being dumbed down.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
wouldn't rule #4 apply to the first response to the OP???
Just checking...

It's ok tho Skuzzy is  off on vaction or something so by the time he gets around to MODding these forums this thread will be burie don page 5.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
Hitech,

If a Friendly player defending his Carrier tries to intercept an enemy around the Puffy ack, he has 50/50 chance of getting hit as well and blowing up being in the "BOX" of puffy ack.

Not sure what my stance on this is, I want to say make friendly players of the CV invisible to the puffy ack, then again this leads to someone sitting in the puffy ack all day hoping someone chases to get blown up.

Any chance we can tone it down for players friendly flying around a CV? maybe cut the puffy damage in half vs players enemy to the CV?

99% of statics made up on the spot are false.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »
Another instance---

Diving on B26's attacking friendly carrier --- Kill all 3, but the computer doesn't realize the last B26 is missing half it's wing and continues to fire, blowing me out of the air.  

Never seen computer controlled puffy actually kill an enemy bomber flying straight and level before, but it sure is good at killing maneuvering fighters, enemy or friendly!  Sweet!

:airplane: Don't know if Hi Tech was aware of what the German Ack Ack crews were doing during bombing raids, during WW2. Take Vienna, which in 1944 was one of the heaviest defended area's in Europe. They purposely "built" a flak "box" 2500 feet across and 2,000 feet deep, from 19,000 to 21,000 feet, as they knew that was the usual altitude of the B-24's, (20,000) coming out of Italy. American pilots knew this going in and as soon as they released their bombs, they would dive out to the left, in most cases and descend to around 12,000 feet to escape the dangerous flak. The German pilots knew where the "box" would be and avoided it completely. I am glad Hi Tech has NOT built a auto flak box around the CV's, using auto guns, so all in all, I guess its one of the hazards of this computer genrated game!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:49:06 PM by earl1937 »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
99% of statics made up on the spot are false.

its more like 104%to 94% to allow 5% veriance + or  -
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Cheyenn

• Zinc Member
      • virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2012, 04:02:10 AM »

I have been shot down twice by Enemy CV fleet. Not because I was trying to hit them, just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I was caught by surpised not knowing they were below me. The 1st time I was shot down I was at 17k, the 2nd time I was at 20k. So do not
say they do not shoot down Bombers. About the 88's and the other guns hitting friendly fighter or aircraft, don't fly in to it. Thats why the German Pilots
waited till the Bombers flew out of the flak fields, then they attacked. As for Fleet defending, then be carefull when you intercept enemy bombers or
enemy aircraft attacking your fleet.
v97th Bomb Group (Heavy)

"VENIT HORA"
"THE HOUR HAS COME"

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:52:02 AM by hitech »
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
I have been shot down twice by Enemy CV fleet. ... So do not say they do not shoot down Bombers.

So how come in hundreds of engagements I've never seen the CV auto puffy ack destroy any bombers before they drop?  Perhaps it'll smoke one out of the three, but even then only after they have dropped.  It's a question of probability, and in my experience the probability of the CV flak stopping a set of high bombers from dropping their bombs, and thereby protecting the CV, is very close to zero.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:29:12 PM by tunnelrat »

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
Wow, since you went ahead and rule 4'd me for being sarcastic to someone, why don't you take some of you own medicine?

:aok

Amen!
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
 :salute well sometime back i shot zenzen down with a 5". we where both rooks. i thought it was crazy to do that. dont have the film anymore.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:) Should've left the original post, I would love to have seen what our lead game dev would've done

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
:) Should've left the original post, I would love to have seen what our lead game dev would've done

We had a chat!