Author Topic: What to do about the P-51D scourge?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
What to do about the P-51D scourge?
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »
The P-51D's usage seems to be hold at about the Spitfire Mk XVI's and La-7's combined usage, yet all are equally ranked at ENY 5.  In Lusche's post of the time five types killed by a particular plane, the P-51D was listed six times:
Addendum: Top 5 plane kills Jan-Sep 2012

1. P-51D kills P-51D   20269
2. P-51D kills Lanc   12343
3. P-51D kills B-17   10050
4. P-51D kills Spit 16   9939
5. La-7 kills P-51D   9405

Can anything be done to encourage more diversity?  Should anything be done?

I would suggest dropping the P-51D to 2 ENY or raising the ENY of every other unperked fighter by 5 and leaving the P-51D at 5 ENY by itself, but both of those have other significant, and undesirable, impacts.  The first would greatly increase the number of perk points people were earning, the perk points awarded for shooting down a P-51D in a Hurricane Mk I would jump from 8 to 20, which would likely require perk costs for perked units to be raised.  The second would alter the balance that ENY restrictions apply and somewhat increase the number of Fighter Perks being by low ENY fighters like La-7s and Spitfire Mk XVI's while reducing overall perks earned by high ENY fighters like the Bf109E-4 and A6M2.  ENY wouldn't restrict access to things like the La-7 and Spitfire Mk XVI nearly as often.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: What to do about the P-51D scourge?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
Kill em.  Kill em all, then shoot some more.  Then let HTC sort it out. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
I hate La-las but that being said, I don't worry about the rate of usage by any plane. If you fly properly you will almost always be fine. If you get slow and stupid everything is going to kill you.

On the one hand, if the concern is the rate of usage by an ubber-plane then give it a modest perk like maybe 5 points. On the other hand, by 1944 it was the all the rage with thousands of them loitering over Europe, even by 1945 all over the skies of Japan. Realism means we are going to have to deal with lots of PonyDs.

My thoughts.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »
shoot us down if u can :joystick: :airplane:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
If you take away the 1000 Lb. bomb option and the ability to mount both bombs and rockets at the same, that should reduce the total pony usage.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »
If you take away the 1000 Lb. bomb option and the ability to mount both bombs and rockets at the same, that should reduce the total pony usage.
A perked ordnance system in which the 1000lbers are perked option for the P-51D might get more of those guys into P-47s and P-38s.  That could be the best way to go.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »
after fully reading you post--i started thinking--WHY DO YOU CARE which planes are flown the most..is it you r getting shot down or bombed by the p51d..there are people flying 190's and 109's alot--and even the brewster's alot..you don't see people complaing about them..my mustang gets shot down alot--you don't see me complaining about which planes r shooting me down do u-no.they all shoot me down..but i still up a plane..now if you are talking about people up a mustang just to pick and run thats another story..it's also their $14.95 or $15.95 or $16.95<---i pay) it you don't like it shoot e'm down...hoing, i do it,try not to-but it happens--vulch a runway--have done it,try not to but it happens--it is said that people that pick and run have no real kill--id rather get shot down in a dual wether it be 1v1 2v1 3v1 or a horde than to get picked while try to land or take off.i have vulched--but i try to wait till off the runway.quit complaining and just shoot us mustang guys down--even if u have to chase them all they way back to their base-nuff said :bolt:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

Can anything be done to encourage more diversity?  Should anything be done?

No and No [/thread]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
after fully reading you post--i started thinking--WHY DO YOU CARE which planes are flown the most..is it you r getting shot down or bombed by the p51d..there are people flying 190's and 109's alot--and even the brewster's alot..you don't see people complaing about them..my mustang gets shot down alot--you don't see me complaining about which planes r shooting me down do u-no.they all shoot me down..but i still up a plane..now if you are talking about people up a mustang just to pick and run thats another story..it's also their $14.95 or $15.95 or $16.95<---i pay) it you don't like it shoot e'm down...hoing, i do it,try not to-but it happens--vulch a runway--have done it,try not to but it happens--it is said that people that pick and run have no real kill--id rather get shot down in a dual wether it be 1v1 2v1 3v1 or a horde than to get picked while try to land or take off.i have vulched--but i try to wait till off the runway.quit complaining and just shoot us mustang guys down--even if u have to chase them all they way back to their base-nuff said :bolt:
That argument fails unless you want to unperk everything and just let the Me262s run wild.  It is not a deliberation about the merits of the specific situation and instead simply an argument to shut down any and all discussion.

Answer why the P-51D in particular should not be singled out for population control where other aircraft have been?  Be specific to this situation.  I can think of many specific arguments for and against my OP that don't generically argue for free Me262s.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
That argument fails unless you want to unperk everything and just let the Me262s run wild.  It is not a deliberation about the merits of the specific situation and instead simply an argument to shut down any and all discussion.

Answer why the P-51D in particular should not be singled out for population control where other aircraft have been?  Be specific to this situation.  I can think of many specific arguments for and against my OP that don't generically argue for free Me262s.

ok so you perk the 51d. now everyone flies the unperked spit 16 instead.. 6 months down the road you are screaming to perk the spit 16.. and the cycle continues. Lunatic hit the nail on the head but you refuse to listen. STOP worrying what others fly. Fly what you want and let others do the same. its their $15, let them play their way

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
A perked ordnance system in which the 1000lbers are perked option for the P-51D might get more of those guys into P-47s and P-38s.  That could be the best way to go.
Indeed, but in my opinion the 1000 lb bombs should be perked on any single seat aircraft. Get those base takers in dedicated strike aircraft.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
I don't think the perk ordinance system will do anything to discourage people flying the 51d, the chart you posted in original post was a plane vs plane kills anyway.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Indeed, but in my opinion the 1000 lb bombs should be perked on any single seat aircraft. Get those base takers in dedicated strike aircraft.
That include the jugs?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Being that the 51D gets used as much as the 2nd and third most used planes combined - and has every month for years; it's clear that any reduction in availability would cause oceans of tears and possibly many deleted accounts.  I hate P-51s as much as anyone but don't think anything will be done about the infestation.   

If only ENY kicked in sooner...   
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
ok so you perk the 51d. now everyone flies the unperked spit 16 instead.. 6 months down the road you are screaming to perk the spit 16.. and the cycle continues. Lunatic hit the nail on the head but you refuse to listen. STOP worrying what others fly. Fly what you want and let others do the same. its their $15, let them play their way
I would not support perking the P-51D.  It has way to much star power draw to perk and I think it, along with the Spitfire, makes an excellent baseline for top free plane.

A perked ordnance system to limit the 1000lb bombs on it or tweaking its ENY are as far as I'd go.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-