Author Topic: Gotta make an "Auto Boot" for inactivity  (Read 1638 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gotta make an "Auto Boot" for inactivity
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
Your $14.95 is superior to their $14.95 becasue of what??

I can see Hitech explaining to his wife and child that they are broke becasue he decided some players $14.95 was superior to other players $14.95.

And I can see his lawyer trying to explain to the divorce judge why his client should not be declaired incompetant as a a court mandate.

Preliminary Hearing for Divorce.

Judge - Your client refused to accept subscription fees from some subscribers in favor of other subscribers and this is why he is bankrupt?
Lawyer - No your honor. He accepted the arguments of one group of subscribers to eject another group from the game for inactivity but, continued to take their monthly subscription submissions.
Judge - Activity or inactivity. You stated earlier the only rules for playing this game are the TOS, inapropriate language and cheating.
Lawyer - Yes your honor.
Judge - And the spouse is also including a class action against the group of players who argued for the expulsion of inactive players based on forum posting records?
Lawyer - Yes your Honor.
Judge - So why is your client pleading insanity?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
Your $14.95 is superior to their $14.95 becasue of what??

I can see Hitech explaining to his wife and child that they are broke becasue he decided some players $14.95 was superior to other players $14.95.

And I can see his lawyer trying to explain to the divorce judge why his client should not be declaired incompetant as a a court mandate.

Preliminary Hearing for Divorce.

Judge - Your client refused to accept subscription fees from some subscribers in favor of other subscribers and this is why he is bankrupt?
Lawyer - No your honor. He accepted the arguments of one group of subscribers to eject another group from the game for inactivity but, continued to take their monthly subscription submissions.
Judge - Activity or inactivity. You stated earlier the only rules for playing this game are the TOS, inapropriate language and cheating.
Lawyer - Yes your honor.
Judge - And the spouse is also including a class action against the group of players who argued for the expulsion of inactive players based on forum posting records?
Lawyer - Yes your Honor.

You have got to be kidding.  There will be mass canceling of subscriptions because someone got booted for inactivity?  If those players are so fickle, then they would quit for any one of a 100 reasons, so there would be no loss revenue.  Golly Gee they would quit because LW Arena crashed today.

I could care less if there are time limits for inactivity or not, but this is really started to stretch it a bit as a reason not to.

My Opinion

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
ENY is limited to what? 28... Hardly a handicap. Quit complaining.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
The point of this thread was to explore the pros/cons of inactivity booting.   I can see how it might be detrimental to someone who launches a set of buffs and lets them climb while AFK.  The M3 point is also valid.

Let's limit the scope to "in tower AFK booting".   I don't see how it harms the truly inactive player (especially those in the tower).  They just log back in.  And it makes the ENY apply to those truly participating.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
The point of this thread was to explore the pros/cons of inactivity booting.   I can see how it might be detrimental to someone who launches a set of buffs and lets them climb while AFK.  The M3 point is also valid.

Let's limit the scope to "in tower AFK booting".   I don't see how it harms the truly inactive player (especially those in the tower).  They just log back in.  And it makes the ENY apply to those truly participating.

i'd just run a utility like xumouse.. it can wiggle or click your mouse automatically to keep you "active".. i'd do it just to bug you.  :devil
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
 I don't see how it harms the truly inactive player (especially those in the tower). 

You would probably see quite a number of field guns manned at remote fields... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
Or an M3 parking lot out past the last feild before the HQ.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
Pffft   lolOnly the guys that need the latest greatest to be effective are penalized.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
Here it is in layman's terms.

When 1 country gets within 4 hours of winning the map, a whole bunch of dickheads feel entitled to the measly 25 points for the war win.

So they stay logged in, drive eny up above 25 and the rest of the country is stuck with junk planes to take enemy bases with, even though there is no real numbers advantage because the overwhelming majority of people logged in are not playing.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »
Sweet.....let's boot the guy who drove a m3 two sectors and is waiting for the white flag.
:noid

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »
eny only effects the weak so -1

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 02:14:34 AM »
ENY is limited to what? 28... Hardly a handicap. Quit complaining.

It's a big handicap if you want to fly off a CV. F4F-3's and A6M2s are not very capable or survivable in Late War.

I don't see why anyone would be bothered by being booted from the arena if they're not playing, they can just log right back in when they come back. It was an issue when there were arena caps, but those are long gone. Most of the long-inactive people probably either intended to come back but something else came up, or want to be online to get the perks for a war win. In the first case there's no reason to be upset at being booted, in the second they should be booted.

+1 for the idea, even if the implementation can't be perfect.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 02:47:26 AM »
It's a big handicap if you want to fly off a CV. F4F-3's and A6M2s are not very capable or survivable in Late War.

Leave your man card behind when you leave the building. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »
I am absolutely sure, that all sides experience this issue.  Get close to winning a map.  1/2 your country is AFK, so you eat an ENY penalty for inactivity.  I really think a timer that boots a player for no activity would HELP gameplay issues.   Properly implemented, to account for GVers in a tank looking around,  this could benefit the game, anyone disagree?

+1

But Only for people sitting in the tower doing nothing... not for afk bombers, m3's waiting for white flag etc...

If you're in the tower... hit the showers!
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 06:28:38 AM »
...or want to be online to get the perks for a war win.

Last I heard, you don't need to be online to get the perks...you just need to have been on the winning side for 12 consecutive hours when the war gets won.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals