Author Topic: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Re: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »
Much of it had to do with marketing, maintenance, and ease of usage.  A Glock is an idiot's gun, *anyone* can pick it up and operate it.  There is no safety, no de-cock lever, no hammer, no single or double action, it required minimal maintenance (much of it is plastic).  Glock came in and undercut S&W in a major way in the late 1990's and early 2000's.  Ultimately they went to the extreme to get government contracts.

There is a reason LEO's have the worst hit ratio in history right now.  This can be proven easily once the stats of the NYPD are examined. When they carried the S&W Mod 10 revolver in .38 Special the average shot fired in an engagement was less than 4.  Now it is over 10.  IIRC, the NYPD switched to the Glock 19 in 1996 and since then accuracy has plummeted.

Here is a good article on the NYPD version of the Glock 19:  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/nypds-choice-of-firearm-may-have-contributed-to-the-terrible-shooting/         

This also means anyone able to disarm you with pure physical force can shoot you pretty easy even if he ain't that bright.... :uhoh
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
A chamber indicator only tells you that there is a cartridge case in the chamber. It does not tell you if the gun is cocked, the cartridge is empty, loaded or a dummy cartridge. FWIW even in a gen 1 Glock the extractor sticks out a bit and you can tell the chamber is occupied by running your finger along it. It doesn't work on all makes of semi auto's. Some do "show" a bit of change in extractor position and others like the standard 1911 have totally enclosed extractors.

I should also tell you that the gen 1 through 3 Glock plastic case (I haven't seen any gen 4 yet) that the gun came in was made in a manner that it requires the trigger to be pulled to fit inside. There is a plastic protrusion in the base of the container that sticks up into the trigger guard and won't fit unless the trigger is to the rear.

As far as telling if a weapon is loaded s concerned it's simple, check it manually by opening the action. That works for revolvers, semi auto, bolt actions, crack barrel, lever action or slide action. It does not work with muzzle loaders. To me the only "safed" weapon is one that is in pieces on a mat. If it has been taken apart it can't fire. ALL other weapons must be checked by the person handling it to determine it's loaded / unloaded status. I don't care if the clerk in a gun store hands me the gun after checking the chamber. I will still open the action and look for myself. Otherwise the gun is loaded as far as I am concerned and is handled as such. Even after I have unloaded the gun I will still try to insure the muzzle never covers anyone while I am handling it.
If a Glock slide is closed, It is cocked, XD springfields as well. The XD chambered indicator tells you a round is in the chamber & if not already fired, is still cocked. My early model XD had a sectional trigger similar to a glock in function, but if I remember, the trigger felt loose after firing (sans resistance). the Glock, if closed, is cocked, unless after dry firing on an empty chamber.   :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
hehe :aok

I like how joining the military is somehow an indication of intelligence, rather than the complete opposite

bravery, patriotism, selflessness...sure

intelligence? :) not so much

I just thought you were an ARSE before, Now I know you're one.  :ahand
WildWzl

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
WildWzl

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#accidents  :salute

very low but not very comforting to the 613 that died.  like everything else 1 is too many.  I work at a steel mill.  we have some of the lowest industrial accidents in the us, however I dont want to be 1 of the few that die every year as sure has hell wont comfort me.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
With this video...I don't think anyone is safe with folks like this owning weapons lol. (This video alone proves that only the neglect of the owner will cause a misfire 99% of the time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dmtOEI7sAAs

Barrel on the .50 cal just falls off  :rofl.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »

Barrel on the .50 cal just falls off  :rofl.

It's blown off. Wrong spacing and/or timing. He's lucky this didn't happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FC7m0pBdMk
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
It's blown off. Wrong spacing and/or timing. He's lucky this didn't happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FC7m0pBdMk

He probably turned it all the way and did the simple "2 click tick" instead of checking after reassembly. We actually just finished using the .50 this weekend along with our other heavy weapons.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
If a Glock slide is closed, It is cocked, XD springfields as well. The XD chambered indicator tells you a round is in the chamber & if not already fired, is still cocked. My early model XD had a sectional trigger similar to a glock in function, but if I remember, the trigger felt loose after firing (sans resistance). the Glock, if closed, is cocked, unless after dry firing on an empty chamber.   :old:

If a Glock slide is closed it is only indicating that the slide is closed. It is not cocked and does not get "cocked" until the trigger poves the striker rearward. It is possible and necessary to have the slide closed with the trigger pulled for dis assembly. On both the XD and Glock the weapon does not come to full cock until the trigger is pulled.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
If a Glock slide is closed it is only indicating that the slide is closed. It is not cocked and does not get "cocked" until the trigger poves the striker rearward. It is possible and necessary to have the slide closed with the trigger pulled for dis assembly. On both the XD and Glock the weapon does not come to full cock until the trigger is pulled.

So the Glock is sort of half double action?

And you say the trigger must be pulled for disassembly?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
     I guess I'm pretty safe.  I don't like Glocks and I ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
First thing my father told me when he give me my first gun was to all ways treat it like it was loaded and all way's keep it pointed to the ground . 45 year's later and a many beer's it seem's to work .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
So the Glock is sort of half double action?
Yes and no. The striker is held back just short of the opening in the slide for the firing pin to protrude before the trigger is pulled. The striker is pulled to the rear when the trigger is pulled back, then released as the trigger bar drops down releasing the striker to go forward and hit the primer of the cartridge, assuming it is loaded. The trigger also depresses the striker blocking pin to allow the striker to move all the way forward. Unless and until the trigger is pulled, the striker blocking pin blocks the forward travel of the striker in much the same way as the firing pin block does on a series 80 1911 style pistol.

The term double action presumes the existence of a hammer. In rather crude and not quite correct terminology it is "similar" to a DA in that the trigger action is necessary for the striker or hammer to be moved to full cock by the trigger in order to fire. Like a standard bolt action rifle, there just ain't no hammer in a Glock. Just the spring that powers the striker forward with enough energy to fire the primer.

And you say the trigger must be pulled for disassembly?
Yup, yes, si, da, yeah, oui, hai, ja. Does that make it clear?   :ahand :huh  :bhead :furious
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
freaking double post........  :furious
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
Yes very clear, many thanks. Some people in this thread have been saying you didn't have to pull the trigger. I'm only trying to understand further.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234