Author Topic: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?  (Read 7032 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »
No you don't have to pull the trigger during disassembly. You're not trying to understand further; you're trying to be an arse, and you're succeeding.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »
No you don't have to pull the trigger during disassembly. You're not trying to understand further; you're trying to be an arse, and you're succeeding.

:rolleyes:

It is possible and necessary to have the slide closed with the trigger pulled for dis assembly. On both the XD and Glock the weapon does not come to full cock until the trigger is pulled.

Look, someone just tell me which is it.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
If shultz is saying you have to pull the trigger PRIOR to Glock disassembly, meaning removal of the slide, then he's correct. Being pedantic, certainly. To me, since it is a required step in the disassembly process it is part of disassembling the pistol.
http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock%20Disassembly

STEP 1
REMOVE THE MAGAZINE AND CLEAR CHAMBER. DO THIS BY LOCKING BACK THE SLIDE. BE SURE THERE IS NOT A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER BY VISUAL AND PHYSICAL INSPECTION. RELEASE THE SLIDE AND POINT THE PISTOL IN A SAFE DIRECTION. PULL THE TRIGGER. THEN GRASP THE PISTOL WITH YOUR THUMB UNDER THE SLIDE AND YOUR FINGERS OVER THE TOP OF THE REAR PART OF THE SLIDE.

PULL BACK APPROXIMATELY ¼ INCH.PULL DOWN ON THE SLIDE LOCK BY GRASPING IT ON BOTH SIDES WITH YOUR THUMB AND FINGER.

PULL DOWN ON THE SLIDE LOCK WHILE RELEASING THE SLIDE FORWARD. (IF YOU HAVE A NEW YORK TRIGGER YOU WILL NEED TO PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN AT THIS POINT). BE CAREFUL TO NOT LET THE SLIDE FALL OFF ONTO A HARD SURFACE, AS IT COULD DAMAGE THE GUIDE RING.

STEP 2
REMOVE THE SLIDE AND TAKE THE RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY OUT. THEN REMOVE THE BARREL. YOU NOW HAVE THE PISTOL IN THE FIELD STRIPPED CONDITION.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:17:40 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Lolz, what the heck is a New York trigger?

Thanks for that Maverick.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Here is a link to a PDF copy of the armorers manual. It covers dis assembly, see page 12 specifically for the instruction to pull the trigger before removing slide.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/glock_armorers_manual_update.pdf

When it comes down to it, a simple google search can help take care of pedantic nit picking, except for the obsessed nit pickers. Especially those who are legends in their own minds......

NY trigger. Has 2 parts actually. The first part is the trigger transfer bar that raises the trigger pull to the NYPD approved 12 LB level vs the stock factory 5.5 lb pull. The second is an option bit that gives you a spring feel that attempt to mimic the feel you have in pulling the long DA trigger on a DA revolver. DA being Double Action. The armorers manual has a pic of it I think. I didn't bother to look at it all.

If you want to make the glock as hard to shoot well as humanly possible those are the modifications you want.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
If shultz is saying you have to pull the trigger PRIOR to Glock disassembly, meaning removal of the slide, then he's correct. Being pedantic, certainly. To me, since it is a required step in the disassembly process it is part of disassembling the pistol.
http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock%20Disassembly

STEP 1
REMOVE THE MAGAZINE AND CLEAR CHAMBER. DO THIS BY LOCKING BACK THE SLIDE. BE SURE THERE IS NOT A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER BY VISUAL AND PHYSICAL INSPECTION. RELEASE THE SLIDE AND POINT THE PISTOL IN A SAFE DIRECTION. PULL THE TRIGGER. THEN GRASP THE PISTOL WITH YOUR THUMB UNDER THE SLIDE AND YOUR FINGERS OVER THE TOP OF THE REAR PART OF THE SLIDE.

PULL BACK APPROXIMATELY ¼ INCH.PULL DOWN ON THE SLIDE LOCK BY GRASPING IT ON BOTH SIDES WITH YOUR THUMB AND FINGER.

PULL DOWN ON THE SLIDE LOCK WHILE RELEASING THE SLIDE FORWARD. (IF YOU HAVE A NEW YORK TRIGGER YOU WILL NEED TO PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN AT THIS POINT). BE CAREFUL TO NOT LET THE SLIDE FALL OFF ONTO A HARD SURFACE, AS IT COULD DAMAGE THE GUIDE RING.

STEP 2
REMOVE THE SLIDE AND TAKE THE RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY OUT. THEN REMOVE THE BARREL. YOU NOW HAVE THE PISTOL IN THE FIELD STRIPPED CONDITION.

That's my point, very clearly put. Clearing the gun is something you should always do before disassembling any fiream. You don't have to pull the trigger while having your other hand manipulate the slide or any other part of the gun during the dissasembly process (like the person in the OP's post did to his misfortune). Nrshida's assertion that the Glock is "a profoundly stupid design" is just an inept characterization made from a position of ignorance; no doubt he'll continue to defend his position though.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
Maverick, do you think the Glock is "a profoundly stupid design"?

I had a Glock for two years and I never managed to shoot something or someone I didn't aim for.

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »
Glock is one of the finest pieces of design for a handgun ever created. I would argue it is the most revolutionary and perhaps most iconic design since the 1911. Springfield and S&W and many other manufacturers have essentially copied Glock in many of their recent guns.

I own a Glock 22 and 27. The 27 is perfect for concealed carry. Where else would you get 10 x .40 cal rounds in a small package like that? And the 22 is just a monster.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
I said it was a profoundly stupid design feature.

No doubt you will continue to be a pedantic and insulting poster when you encounter someone with a different opinion to yours.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
I said it was a profoundly stupid design feature.

I say that is an inept characterization made from a position of ignorance. The Glock is one of the safest handguns ever made.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
I say that is an inept characterization made from a position of ignorance. The Glock is one of the safest handguns ever made.

And your opinion, and it's appropriate weight, is duly noted.

Are you incorrectly quoting me because you misread what I typed or as a technique to devalue an opinion which differs from yours?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
if you guys are gonna purse fight atleast dumb it down some.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »

I had a Glock for two years and I never managed to shoot something or someone I didn't aim for.

I have carried a Glock both on and off duty for more than 10 years when I was a Police Officer. I have carried one for quite some time after that as well. On the other hand it was not my only choice for carry, when I had the option after retiring. I have also carried a revolver and a 1911. If I am going to carry a semi auto for concealed carry I prefer the Glock over the 1911. Now that does not mean I don't LIKE a 1911, I do. I just don't like carrying one cocked and locked in an IWB carry. Personal preference only.

Is the Glock a safe weapon? Certainly. Is it totally fool proof? Nope. Nothing is totally foolproof including the fork you eat dinner with. Would I prefer that disassembly did not require pulling the trigger? Yup, but I understand it isn't possible and educated myself to be able to operate it properly. Do I consider it a design flaw? Nope, no more than I consider the need for hand propping a propeller driven aircraft is a design flaw when the battery is dead. That's just the way it is.

Machines, all of them, have good and bad points. It's up to the operators to deal with them properly.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
That's pretty much how I feel about it as well.

/thread.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

Your arguing content with nrshida
Its circular reasoning and you can argue for an exhaustively long time.  Safe and not safe are absolutes.   My Glock is safe(reification but u get the idea).  nrshida can not get safer than safe.   design can not be stupid.   It is only an individual that can be safe or not safe.  

Its only safe if its safe . "the design is safer" is a begging the question circular argument.   plus a few more fallacies .
Its not safer for anyone that its not safe  for. The gun would already have to be loaded and pointed in an unsafe direction.

salut

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.