Author Topic: Quick review on Windows 8  (Read 1416 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Quick review on Windows 8
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
The other day one client asked me to check that his laptop was decently configured for his needs. Nothing new in that, been doing that among other things business-wise for 8 years. So far I've been able to manage with new Windows versions quite easily. Actually, there hasn't been major changes after Win95, which was the first version I've owned and started to study after paying a couple of times for reinstall due to having messed it up all by myself...

So, the new laptop, a PackardBell, was running Win8. The guy had already finished the installation procedure and had stuck into a situation which, according to him, wanted him to create a Facebook account. Oh wow! I woke the computer up and saw the "tiles" view. Uh-huh... well, there's Internet Explorer, Photos, Facebook and many others, plus the one that said "Desktop" when hovered over. Click! Finally something familiar!

The first thing was to get rid of some demo programs, like Norton Antivirus and Norton Online Backup. Wait! There's no Start Orb! Fortunately there were two (!) Help icons on the desktop. The first one (worked with F1, too) led me to some login program's help, the other was the regular Windows Help. So, how to uninstall programs? Answer: Click Programs and Features link, followed with a 101 about what to do there. "Sweep from right to left, or if you're still using a mouse, place the cursor in the upper right corner of the screen" to access a menu bar on the right side of the screen. There's some links, among them Settings, under which there's the familiar Control Panel. Now, how many cheap laptops do you know with a touch screen? Neither do I...

I managed to uninstall the demos and download and install the newest version the paid-for antivirus served by his operator. I also could make some basic tweaking (not too much to maintain the plain vanilla experience for advice given by someone else than me) and put some icons on his Desktop. Can you imagine, the Help advised to use Windows Explorer to find the (my) Documents and other personal folders? Honestly, how many of your wives or parents who have been using a computer lately, really do know how to find their profile starting from My Computer? Not to mention finding My Computer without an icon, via a keyboard shortcut?

The last task was trying to find the "All Programs" menu that's normally in the Start menu/Orb. I scrolled back and forth the Tiles screens, rearranged some of them and finally by chance right clicked on the empty area. Bingo! A grayish bar appeared to the bottom of the screen, on the right edge of which there was a single small icon "All programs". That brought a somewhat arranged set of smaller tiles or icons on the screen. It still seemed to lack some of the functions of older Windows versions, but it showed what was installed.

Oh, and last but not least: The only way I could find to shut down the computer was on the Desktop: The people of PackardBell had been kind enough to create a PB Shutdown icon into the TaskBar. That sounds like Windows itself doesn't have such a simple feature, at least not in an easy place to find.

Conclusion: If I had a tablet or a smart phone and didn't know anything about previous Windows versions, Win8 might serve quite well. Could it be that future versions of Word and other programs could use a netcam to register finger spelling? For now I'd rather stick to Windows7 and hope that #9 would follow the "only every second Windows version is totally crap" -rule
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: Quick review on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
"if you're still using a mouse"  :rofl

Nothing wrong with a tablet operating system on a phone or a tablet. Big problem with it on a laptop or a desktop.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
The other day one client asked me to check that his laptop was decently configured for his needs. Nothing new in that, been doing that among other things business-wise for 8 years. So far I've been able to manage with new Windows versions quite easily. Actually, there hasn't been major changes after Win95, which was the first version I've owned and started to study after paying a couple of times for reinstall due to having messed it up all by myself...

So, the new laptop, a PackardBell, was running Win8. The guy had already finished the installation procedure and had stuck into a situation which, according to him, wanted him to create a Facebook account. Oh wow! I woke the computer up and saw the "tiles" view. Uh-huh... well, there's Internet Explorer, Photos, Facebook and many others, plus the one that said "Desktop" when hovered over. Click! Finally something familiar!

The first thing was to get rid of some demo programs, like Norton Antivirus and Norton Online Backup. Wait! There's no Start Orb! Fortunately there were two (!) Help icons on the desktop. The first one (worked with F1, too) led me to some login program's help, the other was the regular Windows Help. So, how to uninstall programs? Answer: Click Programs and Features link, followed with a 101 about what to do there. "Sweep from right to left, or if you're still using a mouse, place the cursor in the upper right corner of the screen" to access a menu bar on the right side of the screen. There's some links, among them Settings, under which there's the familiar Control Panel. Now, how many cheap laptops do you know with a touch screen? Neither do I...

I managed to uninstall the demos and download and install the newest version the paid-for antivirus served by his operator. I also could make some basic tweaking (not too much to maintain the plain vanilla experience for advice given by someone else than me) and put some icons on his Desktop. Can you imagine, the Help advised to use Windows Explorer to find the (my) Documents and other personal folders? Honestly, how many of your wives or parents who have been using a computer lately, really do know how to find their profile starting from My Computer? Not to mention finding My Computer without an icon, via a keyboard shortcut?

The last task was trying to find the "All Programs" menu that's normally in the Start menu/Orb. I scrolled back and forth the Tiles screens, rearranged some of them and finally by chance right clicked on the empty area. Bingo! A grayish bar appeared to the bottom of the screen, on the right edge of which there was a single small icon "All programs". That brought a somewhat arranged set of smaller tiles or icons on the screen. It still seemed to lack some of the functions of older Windows versions, but it showed what was installed.

Oh, and last but not least: The only way I could find to shut down the computer was on the Desktop: The people of PackardBell had been kind enough to create a PB Shutdown icon into the TaskBar. That sounds like Windows itself doesn't have such a simple feature, at least not in an easy place to find.

Conclusion: If I had a tablet or a smart phone and didn't know anything about previous Windows versions, Win8 might serve quite well. Could it be that future versions of Word and other programs could use a netcam to register finger spelling? For now I'd rather stick to Windows7 and hope that #9 would follow the "only every second Windows version is totally crap" -rule

The shutdown button is found in the charms bar and 'power' section. Charms bar opens by hovering the mouse on the lower right corner of the screen.

If you take the mouse to the lower left corner and use right click, you get a menu with all sorts of familiar and useful functions such as control panel, run etc. Windows 8 works quite well for gaming once you get used to the annoying new UI. I play BF3 on a Windows8 preview machine that has a C2D 4500 + Radeon 4870 combo and it works once both are overclocked and eyecandy dropped.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
My wife needs a new laptop for video rendering but they seem to have Win 8 now.  She'll be disappointed if she can't have a desktop literally filled with icons and links to projects/programs.  Is there a desktop hidden under that ugly UI somewhere and can you boot directly into it?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »
My wife needs a new laptop for video rendering but they seem to have Win 8 now.  She'll be disappointed if she can't have a desktop literally filled with icons and links to projects/programs.  Is there a desktop hidden under that ugly UI somewhere and can you boot directly into it?

There is a normal desktop and you can find many addons that brings the old start menu back such as start8, startisback etc. Some free, some paid. I hear the paid version is the best.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »
I like how reading the title thread and seeing the "thumbs down" told me all I needed to know before even reading the post, hah.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
I like how reading the title thread and seeing the "thumbs down" told me all I needed to know before even reading the post, hah.

Despite of many people bashing Win8 for several (and sometimes accurate) reasons, it does include many improvements also. Tests have shown that it's as fast or even faster (by less stuttering) than Windows7 on similar hardware. It boots up much faster, consumes less memory than 7 etc. Overall if you forget the horrible mistake of a GUI and dark prospects of a closed proprietary OS environment, it's Windows7 underneath with some good improvements.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »
Classic Shell is supposed to be out for Windows 8.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
I just suffered the installation of Windows 7 on my computer at home.  I hate it.  You need additional 'clicks' to do anything at all.  No benefit to that, just a waste of time.

Dual booting to Windows XP is going to keep me from losing my mind.  At least with XP I can customize everything the way I want it done.

On my new computer, XP boots to the desktop in less than 4 seconds from the time the cylon eye starts.  It does not complete one pass and boom!  Really like that.

Windows 8 is an abomination for a desktop OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
I thought so, reading the full story is mostly for those who have time to kill.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
I just suffered the installation of Windows 7 on my computer at home.  I hate it.  You need additional 'clicks' to do anything at all.  No benefit to that, just a waste of time.

That's the advanced future Skuzzy! Just wait untill you 'get' to use the awesome ribbon interface too!  :x

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
That's the advanced future Skuzzy! Just wait untill you 'get' to use the awesome ribbon interface too!  :x

Is that where it takes 10 finger swipes, 20 mouse clicks, rotate the video display, then it will finally ask you if you are sure you want to change the color of the background?

This is the last Microsoft OS I will ever own.  Thankfully I know enough about alternative operating systems and applications I do not have to suffer the nonsense Microsoft is delivering.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
I just suffered the installation of Windows 7 on my computer at home.  I hate it.  You need additional 'clicks' to do anything at all.  No benefit to that, just a waste of time.

Dual booting to Windows XP is going to keep me from losing my mind.  At least with XP I can customize everything the way I want it done.

On my new computer, XP boots to the desktop in less than 4 seconds from the time the cylon eye starts.  It does not complete one pass and boom!  Really like that.

Windows 8 is an abomination for a desktop OS.

On that first line, you meant to type "Windows 8", didn't you?

MH
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:19:13 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
On that first line, you meant to type "Windows 8", didn't you?

MH

No, I was talking about Windows 7.  Windows 8 will never find its way to any of my computers.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
No, I was talking about Windows 7.  Windows 8 will never find its way to any of my computers.

that is weird skuzzy.  I liked windows xp.  but It would take me about 2 hours to finish installing and downloading drivers whenever I did a fresh install.  windows 7 took about 20 minutes and drivers where installed automatically, the only drivers I changed was for my video card.  of course both windows xp and windows 7 then needed about a zillion hours of updates but that is another story.

I found windows 7 to be simpler to install that xp.  then again I didnt do the amount of "tinkering" that you do with your systems.  mine was the 5 minute check to blackviper.com for unneeded processes.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.