Author Topic: Question about SSD  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Question about SSD
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:58 AM »
So I'm going be doing a bit of an upgrade and was thinking about going with an SSD. I've heard about how fast they are and what a difference they can make as far as speed goes.
Aces High is pretty much the only game I play. That said my question is; does AH have to be installed on the SSD to take advantage of the "speed". With so little space on the common SSD, I'm just kinda curious about them and how it could benefit me the most.

Oh btw here's my system specs in case it matters:

i3 2120
8GB ram
HD6670 (part of the upgrade will also be getting a 7770)
500w PS (thinkin about upgrading here also)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Question about SSD
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
In order for anything to get advantage from the SSD it has to be installed on it.

Skuzzy has warned against installing AH2 to a SSD because of the microwrites it does - but if you get one with a 5 year warranty it should not be a problem. They're rated for hundreds of gigabytes of writes every day for 5 years.

SSDs are not small nowadays, you can get 8gb - 2Tb ranges. Of course the 2Tb model will cost you thousands.

Even regular consumer drives go up to 480Gb.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
I am using a 64GB ssd for my desktop operating system and a 1tb WB caviar black for everything else. I originally had AH on my SSD but switch it over to the regular HDD after Skuzzy's recommendations. I did not notice any changes in actual game performance. What you will notice a nice boost in is initial boot time and programs will load almost instantly. I love my ssd. But If I had to do it all over again, (which I am getting ready to buy a 500GB SSD for my lap top) I would buy a 128gb at the very least. My 64GB ssd is almost full now. I believe I only have 15GB free.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
I am using a 64GB ssd for my desktop operating system and a 1tb WB caviar black for everything else. I originally had AH on my SSD but switch it over to the regular HDD after Skuzzy's recommendations. I did not notice any changes in actual game performance. What you will notice a nice boost in is initial boot time and programs will load almost instantly. I love my ssd. But If I had to do it all over again, (which I am getting ready to buy a 500GB SSD for my lap top) I would buy a 128gb at the very least. My 64GB ssd is almost full now. I believe I only have 15GB free.

You can free up a lot of space from your windows installation by removing the system restore and running ccleaner to get rid fo backups and old service packs etc. Savings of several gigabytes are easily possible. Of course with your track record with the Ubuntu installation, perhaps it's just easyer to get the larger drive instead ;)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
You can free up a lot of space from your windows installation by removing the system restore and running ccleaner to get rid fo backups and old service packs etc. Savings of several gigabytes are easily possible. Of course with your track record with the Ubuntu installation, perhaps it's just easyer to get the larger drive instead ;)

:rofl :aok

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
So I'm going be doing a bit of an upgrade and was thinking about going with an SSD. I've heard about how fast they are and what a difference they can make as far as speed goes.
Aces High is pretty much the only game I play. That said my question is; does AH have to be installed on the SSD to take advantage of the "speed". With so little space on the common SSD, I'm just kinda curious about them and how it could benefit me the most.

Oh btw here's my system specs in case it matters:

i3 2120
8GB ram
HD6670 (part of the upgrade will also be getting a 7770)
500w PS (thinkin about upgrading here also)

I too am new to the SSD environment and I've seen all kinds of recommendations against using one with Winblows XP but I purchased Paragon Drive Copy12 and cloned one of my drives to the SSD and have been running off it for a month now without incident as my system boot drive.  I've read that you do NOT want to defrag an SSD but folks like MrRipley are much more knowledgeable than I on these technical do's and don'ts.   I do run AH and everything else off the SSD with the exception of my email.  I'm running an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD.

All the Best...

Jay
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:02:31 PM by doc1kelley »
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
A person can take thier documents folder and move it also to save space.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
Newegg has info on windows tweaks for SSD performance/etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=291

basically tells you what to turn off in windows so windows doesn't end up killing your SSD.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:43:37 AM »
I too am new to the SSD environment and I've seen all kinds of recommendations against using one with Winblows XP but I purchased Paragon Drive Copy12 and cloned one of my drives to the SSD and have been running off it for a month now without incident as my system boot drive.  I've read that you do NOT want to defrag an SSD but folks like MrRipley are much more knowledgeable than I on these technical do's and don'ts.   I do run AH and everything else off the SSD with the exception of my email.  I'm running an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD.

All the Best...

Jay

The problem with you running the SSD on XP is that XP lacks support for TRIM and other SSD optimizations. It means that your drive will suffer a heavy performance degradation once it's fully written over. You should run trim manually with a program supplied by the ssd maker if possible.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
Random question: So if you don't back up your SSD, when it's unable to write any more data/die, you basically lost all your data?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline numb1

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
So if i have my SSD cloned i should just run Aces off my F drive instead of C drive?Should i just uninstall from C drive then?
I5-3570k,Asus Sabertooth,Corsair H100i,Corsair AX850,Two His IceQX2 7950 boost cards in crossfire,Cooler master Storm Stryker case,Western Digital 1tb HD,Intel 180gb SSD,Qnix 27in 1440p PLS OCed to 120hz monitor

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »
Random question: So if you don't back up your SSD, when it's unable to write any more data/die, you basically lost all your data?
The data still "exists" but there's no way to find it.  Like having a mansion in the mountains without a road to actually get there by.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »

All modern ssds have 'overprovision'. It means that a part of the storage space is reserved for later use when memory blocks start dying. If the controller detects a bad block it reassigns the slot to one of the extra ones. You will never run into a situation where all your blocks would be at the end of life, your performance would have tanked long time before that and most likely different kinds of error messages occur.

Early sandforce drives had a firmware problem which bricked many ssds leaving them with 8 megabytes of usable space. Those bugs are nowadays honed out.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
The data still "exists" but there's no way to find it.  Like having a mansion in the mountains without a road to actually get there by.

You should have your data backed up anyway. No matter what drive you use.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline numb1

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
How would i uninstall from c drive and keep it on f drive?
I5-3570k,Asus Sabertooth,Corsair H100i,Corsair AX850,Two His IceQX2 7950 boost cards in crossfire,Cooler master Storm Stryker case,Western Digital 1tb HD,Intel 180gb SSD,Qnix 27in 1440p PLS OCed to 120hz monitor