Author Topic: George Preddy Achievement  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
George Preddy Achievement
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
George Preddy - Down 6 planes in 1 sortie while flying the P-51

I downed 5, and 1 assist, in one sortie and I received this achievement.  Is this intentional on the assist?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline james

• Silver Member
Re: George Preddy Achievement
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
Same thing happened to me.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
No, it's a bug.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
Pand, do that in a Storch and I'll be impressed. Short of that, killing 6 in one sortie is pretty pedestrian for you isn't it? You do this daily it seems. As a side note I lived on the same street as George Preddy in Greensboro, NC.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
Pand, do that in a Storch and I'll be impressed. Short of that, killing 6 in one sortie is pretty pedestrian for you isn't it? You do this daily it seems. As a side note I lived on the same street as George Preddy in Greensboro, NC.

Boo
Thanks Boo! 

That's awesome, did you ever get to spend any time with him? 

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
That would be hard given that he was killed by friendly fire on Christmas Day 1944.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
That would be hard given that he was killed by friendly fire on Christmas Day 1944.

"Preddy destroyed two Messerschmitt Bf 109s, before being vectored to a lone Focke-Wulf FW 190, strafing Allied ground forces southeast of Liege, Belgium."

"As the FW-190, Preddy and two other Mustangs passed over the Allied front line at tree-top height, a US Army anti-aircraft (AA) battery (believed to be part of the 430th AA Battalion, XIX Corps), fired at the FW-190 and missed, but hit all three P-51s. Preddy's aircraft hit the ground at high speed and a low angle, which caused it to break up into many pieces. Preddy had no chance of surviving the crash"

:salute  :cry  :pray
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:17:25 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
His house was on the street with a little plaque. Of course I did not meet him. One old man next door insisted he knew him and told a few stories. I have no idea but it was neat. 20+ years ago. I'll see if I can find a picture I have of the house and post it here.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
"Preddy destroyed two Messerschmitt Bf 109s, before being vectored to a lone Focke-Wulf FW 190, strafing Allied ground forces southeast of Liege, Belgium."

"As the FW-190, Preddy and two other Mustangs passed over the Allied front line at tree-top height, a US Army anti-aircraft (AA) battery (believed to be part of the 430th AA Battalion, XIX Corps), fired at the FW-190 and missed, but hit all three P-51s. Preddy's aircraft hit the ground at high speed and a low angle, which caused it to break up into many pieces. Preddy had no chance of surviving the crash"

According to the book on Preddy he was hit by a .50cal from a quad mount (M16) that fired for just a brief microsecond. The P-51 pancaked in a manner that was very surviveable but the pilot had been hit. The aircraft was only slightly damaged.

Noah, J., & Sox, S. L., Jr. (1991). Christmas day 1944. In George preddy top
     mustang ace (pp. 158-167). Greensboro, NC: Preddy Memorial Foundation.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:55:11 PM »
His house was on the street with a little plaque. Of course I did not meet him. One old man next door insisted he knew him and told a few stories. I have no idea but it was neat. 20+ years ago. I'll see if I can find a picture I have of the house and post it here.

Boo

This is the plaque you're talking about.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
According to the book on Preddy he was hit by a .50cal from a quad mount (M16) that fired for just a brief microsecond. The P-51 pancaked in a manner that was very surviveable but the pilot had been hit. The aircraft was only slightly damaged.

Noah, J., & Sox, S. L., Jr. (1991). Christmas day 1944. In George preddy top
     mustang ace (pp. 158-167). Greensboro, NC: Preddy Memorial Foundation.

Preddy's Mustang was completely destroyed, with witness reports stating the largest identifiable part of the plane was what was left of the engine.  Preddy was also reported by witnesses on the scene to have bailed out at approximately 200ft and his parachute did not deploy.
From their vantage point looking NE, Sgt. Charles Brown, PFC John Starzynbski and Lt Murray Grobman saw Preddy fall from the Mustang at about 200 feet, his parachute not deployed and Cripes A’Mighty now inverted disappearing behind a tree line where they heard her hit the ground.

Sgt Kennedy and Cpl Dye went to the crash site of the Mustang noting that the largest portion remaining of the Mustang was the engine.  Kennedy recalled seeing a piece of the fuselage on which swastikas had been painted.

Source
ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:30 AM »
"This Addendum is an update to what we know happened during the final moments of Preddy’s last mission as recorded on page 160 of George Preddy, Top Mustang Ace. The purpose here is to correct inaccurate information in the book and in the one-hour video entitled, Preddy, The Mustang Ace. "

Thanks for pointing that out ack-ack!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:52:56 AM »
I liked the Gabby Gabreski achievement, 28 kills in a P47  :aok I doubt he did them all in one evening tho  :)  :salute
now posting as SirNuke

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Dang Ack Ack, that's it. I haven't found mine and it is an old, printed picture not a jog. At the time I was a Navy bird geek so I didn't know (or read) as much about the European theater, etc. As I said, I had that old timer tell me some stories, which I don't really remember. What I should have done is sit the guy down and grill him for everything he could remember, and do that a few times to jog his memory. Then either record it or take copious notes. I missed an opportunity.

Once as a kid growing up in Vegas I stopped at a red light and some old guy asked for a ride. Common occurrence when driving in a vehicle with no doors. He hopped in and I drove him home. Turns out he was a Pearl Harbor vet. We talked for about 15 minutes as I was running late for work. He invited me to come back to see pictures, hear more stories, etc but being a stupid 18 year old I quickly forgot to go back. I've only met two Pearl Harbor vets and didn't really take the opportunity either time.  :bhead

Boo