Author Topic: Drills to Improve  (Read 2846 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Drills to Improve
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
 :rofl

never knew about the air starts :huh

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »

Noob!

nrshida's Dr. Strangelook or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Horde:-

Go to the furball lake when busy, take favourite ACM plane and upon takeoff empty all guns, that's right: empty. Fly towards and underneath nearest furball and slow down, fly around underneath it. Now forget trying to attack anything (you can't anyway), the exercise is to correctly prioritise the threats as they attack you and practice break turns and reversals of fortune. Because you have no guns once the attack is neutralised or the opponent reversed you will immediately direct your attention to the next highest threat instead of getting fixated on a shot. It is surprising how long you can last for. Final step however is always to jump 200 feet into the air in massive fireball and scatter yourself over a large area. Then takeoff again and repeat.

Objectives & outcomes: general improvement of use of views and close-in situational awareness, mastering prioritisation and tracking of multiple opponents when outnumbered, encouraging tactical thinking on a top down level, improving timing of defensive manoeuvres & reversals and finally illustrating the benefit of making an ally of the very unforgiving ground!

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
Noob!

nrshida's Dr. Strangelook or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Horde:-

Go to the furball lake when busy, take favourite ACM plane and upon takeoff empty all guns, that's right: empty. Fly towards and underneath nearest furball and slow down, fly around underneath it. Now forget trying to attack anything (you can't anyway), the exercise is to correctly prioritise the threats as they attack you and practice break turns and reversals of fortune. Because you have no guns once the attack is neutralised or the opponent reversed you will immediately direct your attention to the next highest threat instead of getting fixated on a shot. It is surprising how long you can last for. Final step however is always to jump 200 feet into the air in massive fireball and scatter yourself over a large area. Then takeoff again and repeat.

Objectives & outcomes: general improvement of use of views and close-in situational awareness, mastering prioritisation and tracking of multiple opponents when outnumbered, encouraging tactical thinking on a top down level, improving timing of defensive manoeuvres & reversals and finally illustrating the benefit of making an ally of the very unforgiving ground!

Ok, that's just sick-good.  Now I know why you never killed me when I caught you a few times on the deck in there.   Having spent the first two years of my AH life at the DA Lake, I remember it well, lmao
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

Das is bekuzz we's huntz dem Amerikans Bombers!

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:58 AM »
Das is bekuzz we's huntz dem Amerikans Bombers!

(Image removed from quote.)

one I like doing is loading up a staged mission.....kill all your friendlies on the way to fight...and take on all the red guys....

there was a K4 vs 10 ponies that was perfect for this.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Go to a practice arena were u can turn the cv in a tight circle... Take off in a  D hog with 100% fuel 1000 pounders and rockets and then  land back on the cv asap... With all your ord..

Good for all around pilot skills in my opinion... Back when we had a big squad and a web page we had a badge we would present for three consecutive successful attempts !!S!!
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Task Follow the Leader

Have a friend or two mgo into the TA..

Plane to follow RV8

Plane to use .. any

1st pilot takes off in RV and flys around the airfield and the others follow as close as they can.

What this teaches is throttle control and use of flaps also.

Try to do this with a full tank on takeoff and land empty.

Its alot harder than it sounds.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
Follow the Leader is fun!! Here is something to expand on that.

Objective:
"WingMan Leap-Frog". Staying in a line during this exercise is paramount AS WELL AS staying at a specific altitude. Have Flight Leader CHOP Throttle, and nose up slightly allowing the wingman in the rear to fly UNDER (changing postions) and then (Flight Lead) power back on and nose down to get back in line (behind WingMan). Once level flight has been achieved (at the specific prescribed alt) do it again this time WingMan will be in front and nose up slightly and CHOP throttle allowing Flight Lead to pass underneath.

Once this is done at speed start slowing down and see whats the slowest sustained speed in which you and your wingman can preform the leapfrog.

How CLOSE can you stay to your wingman throughout out this whole exercise??

Hoping to:
Teach Double Attack with a wing man on a single con "in" and "out" of the saddle with guns blazing, while one is attacking the other is getting ready to attack in order to keep constant pressure on the con.

Hope this helps.

:airplane:<~Deadstik
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:01:01 AM by deadstikmac »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
Deadstik that sounds like fun but for double attack you wouldn't be flying close formation. You'd want the engaged fighter to press the bandit while the wingman flies to an advantageous position to support the engaged fighter and to be ready to attack the bandit.

Close formation is good practice for flyng skills and helps you to appreciate the role of angle of attack on speed control. You might find it helpful to fly basic fighter maneuvers and aerobatics in close formation even though in combat you would spread out to engage the bandit.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
Deadstik that sounds like fun but for double attack you wouldn't be flying close formation. You'd want the engaged fighter to press the bandit while the wingman flies to an advantageous position to support the engaged fighter and to be ready to attack the bandit.

Close formation is good practice for flyng skills and helps you to appreciate the role of angle of attack on speed control. You might find it helpful to fly basic fighter maneuvers and aerobatics in close formation even though in combat you would spread out to engage the bandit.

Yes sir. This was to get new pilots' like myself into that roles' mindset. A true wing man double attack has much more too it, you are correct sir.

When someone is in the saddle as a wing man you might have too just stay on the perch and wait until the bogie makes a move the lead can not keep up with. At that point he would say "out" and you would jump "in".

How fast can you and your wing man go through the leap frog rotation? Go over top instead of under for the position change. Start doing it while trying to make a turn. Make the motion smooth in all directions and variations of the positional change with your wing man.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:31:24 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
Necro bump.  :banana:

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
 :old:

I dont think anyone noticed that the hint given in my first post was related too my second post and the hint in my second was related to the first.

Eighter way this was a great topic... Lets add some more.   :salute

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
The thing I like to do is pick a groundgun and fly as slow as I can around it full flaps to keep my positive control at low speed from getting rusty. Ive lived through more fights from others crashing at low speed then shot down once on the deck with my Brew.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE