Author Topic: New Hanks/Spielberg HBO mini: Bomber Boys  (Read 5321 times)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
Re: New Hanks/Spielberg HBO mini: Bomber Boys
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 04:47:04 AM »
Then the British need to make the movie, not wait on somebody else to do it for them and complain if it doesn't happen. Band of Brothers wasn't meant to be a rah rah USA series it was meant as tribute to the soldiers of the 506th. I don't recall any episode downplaying the role or being derogatory towards British forces in WWII. The closest thing I've seen to a war movie out of the UK recently was..

(Image removed from quote.)

Other than the dippy tank commander who said, in a typical Oxbridge plummy accent " I say, if one can't see the blighter, then how the bally heck would one shoot him?" :rolleyes:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 06:13:12 AM »
Other than the dippy tank commander who said, in a typical Oxbridge plummy accent " I say, if one can't see the blighter, then how the bally heck would one shoot him?" :rolleyes:

I'd rather have the Tank Commander than Lt Dike.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:28 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation of :  Masters Of The Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany

I just finished reading it.

Great book!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 08:21:25 AM »
I would like to see a mini series about a small group of Hitler Youth boys getting called up in 1940, going through training and fighting on the Eastern Front. Band of Brothers from the other side.

The Nazi's are despicable evil monsters. But their soldiers were young, dumb and crazy, sitting in holes full of mud and snow, getting bombed and shot at like everyone else. I would just like everyone to see how horrible it is that to this day the German people are forever associated with the Nazi's, and point out the fact that the only real difference between a German soldier in the Wehrmacht and a US Soldier is the uniform he wears and the language he speaks. Each one was conditioned by his country to believe his war was just, and as a result, was stuck in a hole miles from home getting bombed, with crap food, and just each other for company.

It would be far more interesting than watching the same, USA saves the day story every single time I turn on the television.

Better suggestion.

At the end of the war many American veterans who fought in several campaigns against the Germans found of all the places they had fought and been. The people they found they had the most in common with were int he end the Germans themselves.

Take two units. One German, one American Tell the story of these units right from training and through the war. Tell the story in such a way where the audience develops a love for the men of each side. Take them through the war Ratcheting up the action until the final climatic scene where the two beloved units end up facing each other on the battlefield and try to kill one another
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
"The people they found they had the most in common with were int he end the Germans themselves."

I have read stories from American vets who were in Italy and France. In so many words they said Italy and France were a mess. Roads impassable from bomb damage, no electricity or running water...basic services did not exist.

They then fight there way into Germany and many were amazed at the good condition of a country that had undergone years of bombing. What they really appreciated were toilets in almost all the urban homes with toilet paper!

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
But did they have cold beer?
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
"The people they found they had the most in common with were int he end the Germans themselves."

I have read stories from American vets who were in Italy and France. In so many words they said Italy and France were a mess. Roads impassable from bomb damage, no electricity or running water...basic services did not exist.

They then fight there way into Germany and many were amazed at the good condition of a country that had undergone years of bombing. What they really appreciated were toilets in almost all the urban homes with toilet paper!

LOL I've read stories where their descriptions if Italy, France and their people were, shall we say. A lot less complimentary then that.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
WW2 has so many epic stories that would be awesome movies.

Just one I'd like to see:

A Panzer platoon and it's commander
.. his men, his machine, all the BS they had to wade thru just to survive.
Poland to the end.

Any major battle ..from any of the major players viewpoints.
The tech we have avalable now would enable an awesome story-telling experience.

With a mini-series you can delve into much more of the story ..the preliminary conditions that setup the battle, all the side-stories,
.. the event itself, what happened afterward.. there is a lot of history to draw on.

The list I'd like to see would cover pages.

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
One of the main characters is from El Dorado, a town here in Arkansas not too far from me (have to go there for movie dates). I can't remember from the book, but I think they had some training at Adams Field, what is now Little Rock National Airport. If they film here in the state, I'd drive over and audition as an extra in a heartbeat.  :x
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »
Margaret Thatcher in a bikini only with less body hair. 
Rosie O Donnel in a thong  :O
I just lost my lunch
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
So long as George Lucas has nothing to do with it.
Retired

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
This is going to be good.

I used to wonder how Tom Hanks was so good at dong WW2 films.  This article says that he forces house guests to play World War 2 with him for hours on end.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tom-hanks-forces-houseguests-to-play-world-war-ii,17296/

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
One of the main characters is from El Dorado, a town here in Arkansas not too far from me (have to go there for movie dates). I can't remember from the book, but I think they had some training at Adams Field, what is now Little Rock National Airport. If they film here in the state, I'd drive over and audition as an extra in a heartbeat.  :x

Drake field in Fayetteville was a training field during ww2 as well. They still have an all wood hangar built during that time that currently houses the Arkansas Aviation Museum. If you ever come up this way you should check it out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:00:09 PM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Drake field in Fayetteville was a training field during ww2 as well. They still have an all wood hangar built during that time that currently houses the Arkansas Aviation Museum. If you ever come up this way you should check it out.

Nevermind, I got confused with a book I read To Kingdom Come by Robert Mrazek. Another book titled The Bomber Boys by Travis Ayres also mentions southern Arkansas. Master of the Air does not. <Sigh>, I would've thought it epic just to go watch them shoot a scene.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
I used to wonder how Tom Hanks was so good at dong WW2 films. 

Jokes aside, Tom Hanks has done a lot to help the WW2 experiences and veterans get the recognition they deserve. His exposure was instrumental in the building of the National WW2 memorial and the WW2 museum in New Orleans. If he could only drop some of the political nonsense...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!